Sponsored

Anyone have this squeak at idle

Moostang83

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Hi guys, so i have this squeak at idle once the car warms up a little and idles down. If i tap the gas it gets faster, and stays even when the car is warmed up fully. Once i start driving it seems to go away, or at least become inaudible, then when i stop it returns. Here is a link to the clip. The dealer seems to be no help and doesnt offer loaner cars even if they did. Im just trying to see if its nothing, or if anyone has another experience? Thanks

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
It’s possible it is the “stretch” belt on the A/C compressor. If it loosing tension, it’s could create a squeal or squeaking noise when at idle, but when under load the belt is not “loose”.

The other (2) things it could be:

1) a belt tensioner pulley bearing prematurely failing

2) If you have the MT82, premature failure of the clutch throw out bearing.

If the vehicle is under warranty, take it in and ask to have a Tech go on a test drive with you so you can replicate the noise at the same speeds or idle.

OP
OP

Moostang83

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
It’s possible it is the “stretch” belt on the A/C compressor. If it loosing tension, it’s could create a squeal or squeaking noise when at idle, but when under load the belt is not “loose”.

If the vehicle is under warranty, take it in and ask to have a Tech go on a test drive with you so you can replicate the noise at the same speeds or idle.

Thanks Cobra, i will check this all out. I went to the dealer once and they heard it and shrugged and said cars make noise lol, so i didnt get anywhere with them. I know it may just be something trivial and annoying, just getting ideas of things to check. Thanks again

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Here’s a simple way of telling if it’s a belt issue:

Make sure vehicle is safely parked. Start car, pop hood and have a Windex, Simple Green or similar “spray” handy. While the engine is idling, spray the front of the drive belts. If the squeal stops, that usually indicates it’s a belt issue.

(Windex or Simple Green won’t harm anything at all for this type of belt diagnosis.)

If it’s the clutch throw out bearing making the noise at idle, when depressing the clutch pedal, the chirp/squeal/squeal would subside.

OP
OP

Moostang83

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I have an auto so that's out. I will try the belt check, thanks again

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
I hear what sounds more like a slight metallic tapping instead of a "squeak". Hard to make analysis from some of these sound recordings, as it might sound different in person.

750hp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT500

I have a 2011 750hp with larger whipple, runs great but notice after not driving it for a month or two, and even having driven it yesterday, i hear squeak at idle. After a while i do not really hear it. Thoughts? Same as what was mentioned? If ac tension, must i have ac on or not when under load to see if disappears?
Thanks!

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
If it's a "sqeaking" noise, it certainly could be the A/C belt or the serpentine belt. Try lightly applying a belt dressing. I've used 100% silicone spray (very sparingly) on the belts and I could definitely hear them quiet down some.
Sponsored