Mixing 0W20 with 5W30 oil in the 2018 Ecoboost

iBookmaster

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red Ecoboost Premium
I was using Mag1 Fully Synthetic 0W20 in the 2011 V6 Mustang convertible I traded in for the new 2018 Ecoboost. It was terrific oil Better than Mobil 1 and any other I’ve tried. I am going to buy some Mag1 full synthetic 5W30 as recommended but, want to blend it about 50/50 with 5W20. Any oil enthusiasts see any problems with that? The 0W20 is better for cold start ups and mixing it with 5W30 will help it stay a little thicker for warm operation.
Sponsored

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
What makes you think Mobil 1 wasn't as good?

OP
OP

iBookmaster

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
It didn’t increase my gas mileage as much as Mag1 full synthetic or last as long on the oil life monitor or stay clean as long. When I traded the 2011 V6 I had Mag1 in there with just over 4000 miles with the oil life monitor still saying 100% left. Yes, it could be stuck but, I pulled the dipstick and at 4000 miles it was just as gold as could be. Previous oil change was at 11,000 miles and oil life monitor said I had 33% left. Oil was dark though. I have only used it the past 2 oil changes. The first was done by my local tire shop and I don’t think they let it drip out very long. Small amount of Supertech in there. The second oil change I did myself with a more “pure” Mag1 in there.

JohnD

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 track day car
Always makes me chuckle when I read oil threads where fellas figure they know more about what oil should be in an engine than the company that designed and built the thing, with their thousands of engineers and years of experience. Plus their ability to refuse you warranty. Personally, I'm not a fan of mixing oils, you don't know what the additive package is in each and could get the dreaded unexpected results.
But your car, your money, rock on!

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
I might add.. just because some oil gets darker, it means it's doing its job, not necessarily dirty or lower quality oil.

Sponsored

OP
OP

iBookmaster

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
Well, Mag1 makes a 5W30 so, I guess I’d be safest with that. They don’t make a 0W30 so, bummer. Maybe in the future with all these turbo engines being produced nowadays.

Gearhead82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost Base 6MT
It didn’t increase my gas mileage as much as Mag1 full synthetic or last as long on the oil life monitor or stay clean as long. When I traded the 2011 V6 I had Mag1 in there with just over 4000 miles with the oil life monitor still saying 100% left. Yes, it could be stuck but, I pulled the dipstick and at 4000 miles it was just as gold as could be. Previous oil change was at 11,000 miles and oil life monitor said I had 33% left. Oil was dark though. I have only used it the past 2 oil changes. The first was done by my local tire shop and I don’t think they let it drip out very long. Small amount of Supertech in there. The second oil change I did myself with a more “pure” Mag1 in there.
The oil life monitor doesn’t monitor the oil. It’s an algorithm based on time, miles, average speed, temperature, etc. You could fill your engine with crude oil right out of the ground and the oil life meter would decline at the exact same rate as $20/qt boutique brand.

15 Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Convertable
Not a very wise idea at least. There are additives in each brand which may not be compatible with each other causing havoc with the moving parts of your engine. This could cause metal parts not to have the adequate lubrication that it needs or the oil to foam and have air mixed in with the lubrication qualities increasing wear.
Each brand of oil has proprietary additives which makes each manufacturer believe that his oil is better than another.
The other response about the oil life monitor is right, it does not measure the lubricity of the oil one bit.
Dave

TomcatDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic w/black stripes
Aside from the bad idea of mixing up your own viscosity, brands of oil are NOT going to cause any problems when mixed. If you check your oil during a fill-up and it's a quart low and you don't have a bottle of Mobile-1, and go inside the gas station and buy a quart of Valvoline, your engine is in zero danger. You don't need to do a panic oil change the next day. There is no reason to do it on purpose, for all the reasons people have posted (that is, the additive mix may be less than ideal) but it's not going to coagulate or anything like that.

Anthony 05 GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT, 2015 Mustang GT Premium
Just use the recommended weight for tolerance's sake. I highly doubt the Mag1 increases your fuel mileage at all compared to Mobil1, that's silly.

Sponsored

stevegt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT Premium. 2019 GT PP1 ordered
I wouldn’t mix it. ‘nuff said.

drabon74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium 401a
I mix 0w20 & 0w40 in my GT, never Had an issue, even when I used Castrol mixed with Pennzoil. Ford recommends thicker oil for heavy duty use like track days, so I figure a little thicker than 5w_20 will be fine

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase

Bravo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
German Turbo Box
1) Don't mix oil types and weights unless you're in a bind (need to increase oil levels to go somewhere to buy correct oil).

2) Mobil 1 is good stuff.

3) There are many reasons why you saw less MPG on Mobil 1 - the biggest possibility is that the Mobil 1 that you tested wasn't 0W20. If both oils were the same weight, then I would look to driving season / driving habits.

4) Mobil 1 is good stuff.

OP
OP

iBookmaster

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
Yes, the Mobil 1 wasn’t 0W20. It was 5W20. Either way, Mag1 stayed cleaner longer. Mag1 is really good stuff. Yes, when oil gets darker, it’s doing it’s job. Oil that stays cleaner long is doing an even better job. Oil life monitor was waaay different with Mag1 so, the oil life monitor knows more than people think here. 4000 miles and still on 100% life left. That’s absolutely amazing. I didn’t say I was going to mix brands. Only mix different thickness of Mag1.
Sponsored