Annoying interior rattle!

2019fordmustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Omar
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, BMW 545i, Mercedes E550, Mercedes E320, Kia Sorento V6
Car is about a year old but lately I have noted a weird rattle buzz from passenger side area and instrument cluster speedometer gauge and the dash pad.

I took the center trim from dash apart and foam taped it. I also foamed the A pillar on driver side.
It appears the sound is buzzing in the door area near the door handle and the unlock handle.

The speedometer gauge meets the dash pad which has some vibration and feels very hollow.

Any ideas? I just hate to take it to a dealer and they will make it worse.
Sponsored

Last edited:

wade001

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wade
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Prem. 10r80, PP1, 401A, Active Exhaust
when you hear the rattle, take your right hand, place it on the seat back of the passenger side and feel for the heating/cooling unit in the seat back. its just above the pocket opening, centered in the seat back. now when it rattles, with your hand press around this area to see if you can get the rattle to stop.

i have the same rattle that i could have SWORE was coming from the door, but its not, its the passenger seat.

also moving the seat back position. lean it back or more upright can make the rattle go away or more intense depending.

ivantwilliams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium with Performance Package
Vehicle Showcase
Are you sure it is not just the passenger seatbelt, 'tapping' on the B pillar?
I almost brought my car in because of the noise I was having. Then, I noticed said noise never happened when my Missus was in the car. That got me thinking, and I figured it out...

Car is about a year old but lately I have noted a weird rattle buzz from passenger side area.
I took the center trim from dash apart and foam taped it. I also foamed the A pillar on driver side.
It appears the sound is buzzing in the door area near the door handle and the unlock handle.
Any ideas? I just hate to take it to a dealer and they will make it worse.

OP
OP
2019fordmustang

2019fordmustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Omar
Vehicle(s)
Are you sure it is not just the passenger seatbelt, 'tapping' on the B pillar?
I almost brought my car in because of the noise I was having. Then, I noticed said noise never happened when my Missus was in the car. That got me thinking, and I figured it out...
I did try to play with it. The buzz seems to be better when someone is sitting in the passenger seat.

OP
OP
2019fordmustang

2019fordmustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Omar
Vehicle(s)
when you hear the rattle, take your right hand, place it on the seat back of the passenger side and feel for the heating/cooling unit in the seat back. its just above the pocket opening, centered in the seat back. now when it rattles, with your hand press around this area to see if you can get the rattle to stop.

i have the same rattle that i could have SWORE was coming from the door, but its not, its the passenger seat.

also moving the seat back position. lean it back or more upright can make the rattle go away or more intense depending.
Good thought but my car doesn't have heating seat option. The rattle only happens on certain roads where the ashault has some holes.

Sponsored

ivantwilliams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium with Performance Package
Vehicle Showcase
Drive without a passenger, and engage the seatbelt. Then, listen for the sound. Sort of a process of elimination...

I did try to play with it. The buzz seems to be better when someone is sitting in the passenger seat.

wade001

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wade
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Prem. 10r80, PP1, 401A, Active Exhaust
Good thought but my car doesn't have heating seat option. The rattle only happens on certain roads where the ashault has some holes.
was worth a shot.. i too, dont want to end up at the dealer for my rattle.. just for fear of making it worse lol..

one of these days i'll get sorted.. maybe when its a bit cooler, 2-3 more months..

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Someone on here had a similar issue a while back. It was a loose passenger seat.

MTBjunkie00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Performance Package Lightning Blue
I have a rattle too. Sounds like it’s coming from the passenger side seat or c pillar. Tried pushing on the passenger seat as suggested above, no dice.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60

Sponsored

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
OP
OP
2019fordmustang

2019fordmustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Omar
Vehicle(s)
I also have recently been tracing a creak from my passenger area that only appeared when I had a passenger in the seat.

I did end up re-doing two of the bolts and putting some padding around the feet of the seat, and my noise is completely gone now.
I figured out where it's coming from. It's the center aluminum trim and passenger side door area where the speaker is. I just hate to take it to a dealer but it's under warranty so I don't Wana mess it up myself.

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
I figured out where it's coming from. It's the center aluminum trim and passenger side door area where the speaker is. I just hate to take it to a dealer but it's under warranty so I don't Wana mess it up myself.
Are you at all handy? The door panel is pretty easy remove and if you have the right tools to pry up plastic panels its pretty dang safe. You can get all the tools you need from harbor freight for about $15 to pry up the plastic bits.

I've had dealers try to fix rattles before and that's why I did these myself. Your car sits for a week and then they tell you they couldn't hear anything, even if you were able to demonstrate the issue when you dropped it off. And you drive a lame loaner instead of a Mustang.

That's why I decided to tackle the creaks myself.

If I was you and you did narrow it down to that trim piece, I'd be doing it myself in an hour or two and feeling good afterwards lol.

OP
OP
2019fordmustang

2019fordmustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Omar
Vehicle(s)
Are you at all handy? The door panel is pretty easy remove and if you have the right tools to pry up plastic panels its pretty dang safe. You can get all the tools you need from harbor freight for about $15 to pry up the plastic bits.

I've had dealers try to fix rattles before and that's why I did these myself. Your car sits for a week and then they tell you they couldn't hear anything, even if you were able to demonstrate the issue when you dropped it off. And you drive a lame loaner instead of a Mustang.

That's why I decided to tackle the creaks myself.

If I was you and you did narrow it down to that trim piece, I'd be doing it myself in an hour or two and feeling good afterwards lol.
I did remove the center trim 2 weeks ago and tried by best to place the foam tape in that area and also lost few of those blue clips but luckily had those in stock from Amazon. I think I didn't do a thorough job I guess cause the trim creaks and maybe the clips are loose. I should have applied the foam in the center vents area as well. Check the picture I attached and see if I miss something. I'm afraid to remove it again and lose those clips in the dash and then they start to rattle lol.
PHOTO_20200627_171155.jpg
PHOTO_20200627_171150.jpg
PHOTO_20200627_171145.jpg

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
I did remove the center trim 2 weeks ago and tried by best to place the foam tape in that area and also lost few of those blue clips but luckily had those in stock from Amazon. I think I didn't do a thorough job I guess cause the trim creaks and maybe the clips are loose. I should have applied the foam in the center vents area as well. Check the picture I attached and see if I miss something. I'm afraid to remove it again and lose those clips in the dash and then they start to rattle lol.
Looks pretty good to me. If you're still hearing the same rattle as before after all this I am guessing the noise is coming from a different place.
Sponsored