Sponsored

Angrey's custom Fuel System Thread

illtal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Are you sure? Thats doesn't sound correct. I find it hard to believe that TI created controllers that are drastically different than the rest of the market. DW controllers have a very wide range of freqs it will accommodate. You're right, someone would have to be the Guinea pig. I've verified the Fuelab regulator and DW PWM variable controllers work. I'll leave it up to some other pioneer to verify other setups:)

I originally wanted to run the BKS pump, but bought my setup prior to Radium coming out with the newer style bucket, so I had the old bucket and the DW440's. Then the new bucket came out and now I'm stuck with a brand new old style bucket. A pair of BKS pumps would flow crazy and a pair on boosters would probably support like 2000+ hp on E85.
You know that ID are supplying Palm Beach Dyno and that outfit down there with their experimental brushless controller with also has a built in boostapump. They are getting 1000lph out of ONE E5LM pump!!!!!
Sponsored

OP
OP
Angrey

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Single hat dual pump like gt350 or gt500!
Ahh, okay. That makes much more sense. One pump for the high side, one for the low side. Siphon or transfer from the other saddle with a pickup. I guess that would remove any fighting between the two regulators.

OP
OP
Angrey

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
You know that ID are supplying Palm Beach Dyno and that outfit down there with their experimental brushless controller with also has a built in boostapump. They are getting 1000lph out of ONE E5LM pump!!!!!
The ID setup is awesome. Unfortunately it's just way out of bounds on price. Not really an option for anyone who isn't a commercial or pro race team.

illtal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
The ID setup is awesome. Unfortunately it's just way out of bounds on price. Not really an option for anyone who isn't a commercial or pro race team.
They have set pricing? What is it?

OP
OP
Angrey

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
They have set pricing? What is it?
I don't remember if I ever got an answer, but somewhere in my memory I was told it's thousands and thousands, like, not practical for anyone trying to stay within reach of market prices for typical fuel setups

Sponsored

bankyf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Are you sure? Thats doesn't sound correct. I find it hard to believe that TI created controllers that are drastically different than the rest of the market. DW controllers have a very wide range of freqs it will accommodate. You're right, someone would have to be the Guinea pig. I've verified the Fuelab regulator and DW PWM variable controllers work. I'll leave it up to some other pioneer to verify other setups:)

I originally wanted to run the BKS pump, but bought my setup prior to Radium coming out with the newer style bucket, so I had the old bucket and the DW440's. Then the new bucket came out and now I'm stuck with a brand new old style bucket. A pair of BKS pumps would flow crazy and a pair on boosters would probably support like 2000+ hp on E85.
Finally got ahold of TI support. Apparently their controller is a modified OEM controller that works at 100hz only, which is the lower limit of the Fuelab regulator. They felt comfortable at 100hz as they stated that was what Motec uses. It is also limited to 16v and will actually shutdown above that as a failsafe. I REALLY wanted to use their pumps as a once and done solution for more fuel than I could ever possibly need, but it seems like their controller is really lacking. I'm not sure what kind of issues I might have with mixing and matching pumps/controllers and that could get expensive as the E5LM pumps cost almost as much without a controller as they do with one. The Fuelab pump/controller seems to be the next best flowing option, if they ever get controllers back in stock.

OP
OP
Angrey

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Finally got ahold of TI support. Apparently their controller is a modified OEM controller that works at 100hz only, which is the lower limit of the Fuelab regulator. They felt comfortable at 100hz as they stated that was what Motec uses. It is also limited to 16v and will actually shutdown above that as a failsafe. I REALLY wanted to use their pumps as a once and done solution for more fuel than I could ever possibly need, but it seems like their controller is really lacking. I'm not sure what kind of issues I might have with mixing and matching pumps/controllers and that could get expensive as the E5LM pumps cost almost as much without a controller as they do with one. The Fuelab pump/controller seems to be the next best flowing option, if they ever get controllers back in stock.
If their controller doesn't work for inputs of more than 16V that's not an issue. If the controller will not manage and SEND more than 16V from the power feed to the pump, that's an issue if you plan on boosting it. Takes that option away.

Honestly the BKS pumps are obsolete. They're too large to work within the confines of most mustang fuel system architecture. The DW and now the fuelab options are much better (although it seems fuelab has supply chain issues up the wazoo). In fact, the DW440's are only a 43MM case and very short, so the larger (46mm cases) which are typical means in most hangers you simply need to add some gasket or dimensional fill.

I probably would have went Fuelab consistent all the way from regulator to pumps if they offered their in tanks at the time. The only one they offered at the time was the ginormous Fosters beer sized pump and that only worked with Radium's surge tank options (either surge tank or well tank).

I don't want to trivialize it, but at the end of the day, it's simply taking a variable signal and correspondingly managing the pulse widths of whatever voltage is supplied through ground connection. I'm pretty confident DW's controllers would work with any typical brushless pump on the market and I know it'll speak to the Fuelab regulator. The part that DW could help us out with is if it speaks to the signal from the PCM, which I'm pretty sure it does because they're selling mustang specific kits for returnless application of their DW440's.

I'd say that TI (and Walbro before they bought them) are asleep at the wheel, but given the advent of electric vehicles, compression ignition fossil fuel motors may not be around long enough to see the proliferation of brushless motor pumps (the way we saw it eventually takeover the small tools market). If we had decades of runway left, I'd say TI was on the verge of taking a major kick in the nuts. As it were, no one may need fuel pumps for OEM's 10 years from now (or if they do, it'll be very very limited numbers).