All Season tires vs Summer tires. That is the question

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
And this entire time I thought fractions in driving as I've seen guy talk about on tracks mean how hard you're pushing your car. So 7/10 is 70% of what the car can do. You're doing 7/10 to learn the corners and how the car reacts so when it's race time and you go 10/10 you can get the fastest lap times. Maybe I'm saying the same thing differently. I will say that driving different cars at 5/10 will net you different speeds. 5/10 around a corner in a Miata is quite a bit faster than 5/10 around that same corner in a garbage truck. Both should be in complete control moving at 50% of the vehicle capabilities around that corner. Tires will change that speed with summer giving you more than A/S. In Cali, I would go with summer tires and not look back and drive the other vehicle on colder days as others have mentioned.

I will always drive with the stickiest tires I can get even if just to the grocery store. When I may need to evade something, my aging ass needs every advantage I can get! 99% of driving accidents can be avoided by simply paying attention, for that 1%, the more capable your car is and how well you can operate it will dictate the outcome. Of course we can't see everything and shit happens. This is based off my experiences and all the stupid car wreck compilations I watch on YouTube.
Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
So 7/10 is 70% of what the car can do
try, what the DRIVER can do. What 'we' charitably call 8/10's is Randy's 3/10's and that's with his windshield covered in Vaseline and one eye closed. The car hasn't changed an iota. I would surmise the VAST majority of the "I'm a skilled driver" public can do is at most 4/10 of what the CAR can do.

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
try, what the DRIVER can do. What 'we' charitably call 8/10's is Randy's 3/10's and that's with his windshield covered in Vaseline and one eye closed. The car hasn't changed an iota.
Yes. the driver+car. My 8/10's in a Ferrari is likely someone else's 2/10's on a tricycle.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
I never said it was a public street. I said it was a traffic circle with no traffic.

Sponsored

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
I never said it was a public street. I said it was a traffic circle with no traffic.
UUmmmm. They have traffic circles on race tracks now? Sorry.

Traffic circles are part of public streets that anyone can be on at any time right? What is your definition of public streets?

I too tend to wait till nobody is around to visit Mexico. Try to limit potential collateral damage. Anymore, I rarely hit triple digits. I maintain a firm belief in practicing in snowy or wet open parking lot sliding around though. Must keep on on how to get out of the trouble you may find yourself in.

dn1984

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10 Premium
Tough choice, but here are some pros and cons of summer only

pros

• Summer tires are great is you race a lot or tracking
  • lots of choices/popular sizes
  • Grip and traction

cons

• fast wear if you track/aggressively drive
  • rain and cold weather have to use caution
I live in an area of country with true seasons so I run 2 sets. I use all season for snow, cold in winter. Then each Spring I throw on the summer set with different rims.

So if you area hardly sees cold or snow or excessive rain go for the summer set or use my excuse and get both sets with some new rims....:handsinair:
common misconception about summer tires vs all season is rain performance. summer tires are actually designed to perform well in the rain. it's the extremely cold weather where they don't perform well

jwt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang Bullitt
The point been driven at is it's ok for you to drive at what you deem acceptable level of risk but woe betide someone else driving at what they deem an acceptable level of risk because it doesn't meet your acceptable level of risk.

I think you drive too fast, I want you with a man and a red flag out in front of you because you never know.

As for the social contract speed limit argument, if all speed limits were set to the same rigorous technical standards you might have a point but we have all seen assinine speed limits where the speed limit bears no relationship to the risks to drivers pedestrians kids etc etc.

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
As for the social contract speed limit argument, if all speed limits were set to the same rigorous technical standards you might have a point but we have all seen assinine speed limits where the speed limit bears no relationship to the risks to drivers pedestrians kids etc etc.
Exactly! 50mph zone change to 35 because there is now a house 5 miles away from the road. Traffic still flows at 60+ on that road unless there's a cop. Those going 35 get passed when safe to do so.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
there is 0 reason to have all season tires in california if you don't live where it snows. absolutely 0
Well actually there are a few.

1. Cost
2. Wear
3. The owner doesn't give a crap about anyones opinion and wants them.

Sponsored

dn1984

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10 Premium
Well actually there are a few.

1. Cost
2. Wear
3. The owner doesn't give a crap about anyones opinion and wants them.
It's not like summer tires wear out in 5k miles. You don't buy a high performance car to throw some crappy tires on it. May as well run 87 octane too while you're at it

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
I maintain a firm belief in practicing in snowy or wet open parking lot sliding around though.
I do this too

Traffic circles are part of public streets that anyone can be on at any time right
Not this one. It was going to be a subdivision but it got cancelled in 2009

So yea, technically trespassing.

It's not like summer tires wear out in 5k miles.
If you are driving like half these guys claim to, yea be lucky to get 5K out of the tires.
Sponsored