Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
More noise then?

Any other thoughts out there?
Unless you have an electric mustang the tire noise isn't worth mentioning. Now if you get some Toyo's or other R rated type tires (especially Toyo) you'll notice above your exhaust. They can be super loud.
Sponsored

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Tragedies are not an excuse to clamp down on those who have done no harm.
true, but when you don't get away with it that one time, be sure to donate of your own free will a tidy sum for damages. You personally have ZERO excuse not to drive on over to NJMP and avail yourself of 40ft wide tarmac, and runoff in spades for when you get it wrong.

Even just 10-15 over posted can result in tragedy. Hell, just going the speed limit can too. If you're out at 3am and the cloverleafs are clear and there is no one else on the roads, then have at it.

friedmud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
My advice: it depends on your temperatures.

I have the PS4S that came on my PP1. They are great if the sun is shining and the temperature is over 50-60 degrees. Anything under 45 and they start to get hard. Under 35 they become a hazard. Under25 you’re not supposed to drive on them (Michelin says it could crack the rubber).

Here in Idaho it’s high dessert. That means that even in the summer it can be 35 overnight - then 80 in the day. I’ve found that I’m not really a huge fan of these tires because my early morning drives or evening/night drives are slippery.

I just put Michelin PSAS4 on my Ford Edge Sport to use as my summer tire (I run dedicated winter tires here). I love them so far: quiet, low rolling resistance, cornering feels good… and definitely can’t spin them with my Edge (which I know isn’t saying too much).

I think that when the PS4S wear out I’ll probably put these on my Mustang too. I don’t think I’ll lose much - and I’ll gain quite a bit in these lower temps.

So: if you are in a part of California that stays above 50 degrees all year - then I would go with PS4S. If it’s going to dip below that pretty often you might want to look at an AS.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Speed doesn't cause the majority of accidents, distracted driving does.
you can be the most 'alert' guy in 10 miles and it doesn't matter if you're the one torpedoing into a family car that because of your 90mph speed you are unable to evade or slow sufficiently before impact whereas it would have been a non-event at 60.

KE = 1/2 mv^2

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
60 mph impact a "non-event"?
brush the chip off your shoulder. I never said anything about the speed at impact, just that in a scenario where had you been going 60 instead of 90 the impact may well have been prevented or speed reduced to the point it was a non-event.

A simple 2 lane non-divided road with 45mph limits results in 90mph speed at impact if you end up in a head-on.

Society at large has agreed on "dictating" reasonable rates of speed. You might not like, you may not agree with the chosen values but the mere application for and holding of a license, and furthermore operating your vehicle you have affirmatively accepted those conditions. We all are guilty of taking various liberties at times but that doesn't change the fact that we violated the social contract and if as a result we visit upon an innocent party a material degree of harm, we should reap the full consequences. For everything else there is HPDE or track time. Or drive in the dead of night on an empty road where the only victim is you.

Or ride a motorcycle where if you want to go +40 the probability of collateral damage is fairly low and the primary victim of your action is going to be yourself. Going fast in a car is a farce compared to what you can do on a bike.

Last edited:

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
OP asked a simple question of rather to get Summer tires or All-Season tires AND somehow this thread has turned into an advice column on how fast or how someone should drive their car. The word "spirited" doesn't mean the same for everyone.

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
Speed doesn't cause the majority of accidents, distracted driving does.
I can't say this enough. That alert driver going 10 mph over is not as big of a threat as the driver, going the speed limit, rolling red lights, stop signs, cutting infront of people, and generally just oblivious to the world around them.

I get a special kind of angry when someone is going under the posted speed, rolls a red to beat the oncoming traffic, and then proceeds to hold up an entire line of cars. Bonus points when their rear bumper already has damage from a previous accident.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Bonus points when their rear bumper already has damage from a previous accident.
that would imply the person behind this driver was at fault, no? :) 😛

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
that would imply the person behind this driver was at fault, no? :) 😛
I'm not sure if this is in jest or not. The person who rolls a red light into oncoming traffic with a posted speed of 55 mph isn't at fault? Maybe you skipped physics, but there's a limit to how quickly a vehicle can stop. And no, swerving into a guard rail or another car is not the acceptable option.

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
'm not sure if this is in jest or not.
it was in jest - the smileys should have made that obvious? The general rule of accident reporting is if you rear-end someone the car that did the ending is at fault because they were following too closely/not paying attention. Obviously doesn't apply 100% of the time.

nustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT, performance pak, active exhaust
Had a BMW motorcycle and was talking to the shop that at high speed (highway) the brakes had a bit of an issue. When they asked what was high speed I said 70mph. Was told condescendingly 70 wasnt high speed. So yeah, the definition isnt applicable to everyone.

I just replaced my Goodyear eagle 18's with the Mich PS4AS. these are quiter, and gripier. the eagles I thought were great, but they were approaching 6 years and while had 5/16 tread left, were aged out. So treadlife shouldnt be a concern for most in casual driving. My tires had lots left after their expected service life span.

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
it was in jest - the smileys should have made that obvious? The general rule of accident reporting is if you rear-end someone the car that did the ending is at fault because they were following too closely/not paying attention. Obviously doesn't apply 100% of the time.
It's not, unfortunately. Unless it's someone I often banter with, it's not easy to tell on here. I've seen the smileys used in less friendly ways but I apologize none the less.

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
When you are taking 30 MPH posted curves at 90 you are reckless.
I presume less wheelspin under heavy throttle is a much more likely reason to prefer summer tires than this.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
I'm the last person to have the "think of the children" mentality.

Just these cars stick so well even on the A/S tires if you are on a public road and pushing 7/10's you are in 110 plus MPH ranges. Usually these are 35 or 45 Mph posted roads.

So you go over the top of a hill and there is Joe farmer on his tractor going 15 Mph.....

It is reckless. Having fun is fine.
Sponsored