Sponsored

Alignment after suspension modifications- No Go

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red
Some of those alignment machines anyone could run. They have images of what to turn and adjust on the particular car they are working on. Most big chain stores have the fancy machines.
As soon as something comes in that doesn't match the stock images they see then they are at a loss. So when something modified comes in they can set targets and take initial readings, but as soon as they see custom/race parts that don't match the machine's images they don't know what to do or how to adjust things.
Sponsored

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
They aren't going to be able to really properly set the front camber if you aren't providing camber bolts or haven't installed camber plates. Sending you somewhere better equipped for the job sounds like the right move unless you want to pay for the alignment twice. I would have taken the contact and asked what was needed to dial it in.
I don't have camber bolts nor do I have camber plates and was able to hit the recommended camber for the Ford Racing Track kit of -1.5 deg. Anymore you will need the bolts/plates.

Matti777

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
I don't have camber bolts nor do I have camber plates and was able to hit the recommended camber for the Ford Racing Track kit of -1.5 deg. Anymore you will need the bolts/plates.
How did you 'hit' it when there is no adjustment?

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
How did you 'hit' it when there is no adjustment?
Good question. Took the specs for the FR Track kit to the alignment shop and they were able to align to the specs provided. Not an alignment guru at all. That being said no camber bolts or plates.

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Both toes are relatively easy to set and I have no idea why they declined to do it (since none of the parts changed the way this is being set). Have toe set and leave camber as is (unfortunately rear camber will change when setting toe and it is little awkward to set it).
I am betting it is the front camber being out of spec, and non adjustable.
But of course, it is right in line with the Ford Racing recommendation (which is not enough for serious performance use).

Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Sometimes its a good thing when a shop refuses work. Better to know the limits of their techs.

agreed those caster numbers are suspicious.

Danmg202

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt- 401a - PP1
I've landed right on -1.5 like I've wanted a few times but you definitely don't always get lucky. I always had new camber bolts in the trunk if the shop needed them up until I bought plates. Either way it's important to talk to the Tech ahead of time and not expect them to read your mind if you want a more aggressive sport alignment.

BimmerDriver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
GT convertible w/3 pedals, BMW M550i
I don't know what happened to the OP, but I would be pretty happy with those numbers. You can easily adjuster the front toe yourself. The rear toe might be a bit harder to do (I honestly don't know).

I'd kill for that negative camber without buying camber plates.

Matti777

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Some shops will only align to what the machine tells them for your car. I'll refrain from getting into the tech vs machine operator rant I have gone on (techs understand how the vehicle works and can troubleshoot and operators do what the software tells them to do). You have to find a shop that will agree to do custom alignments if that is what you want. I'm going to search for such a shop in the spring.

moffetts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Whippled 2015 GT PP
There cannot be a shortage of performance shops in Dallas that would be willing to do this correctly.

Sponsored

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
I don't know what happened to the OP, but I would be pretty happy with those numbers. You can easily adjuster the front toe yourself. The rear toe might be a bit harder to do (I honestly don't know).

I'd kill for that negative camber without buying camber plates.
Not sure what you mean - I had -2.2 degrees front camber without camber bolts / suspension with stock springs.

Rear is easy to adjust - the problem is that when you do it, camber changes so you end up going back and forth between the two. And rear camber adjustment is terribly done and inaccurate (it's the inboard mounting bolt of the camber arm sliding in the horizontal slot in the subrame).

Doug V

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
I put ford springs on my 2020. They say it was just outside of -1.8 so they could not do alignments. Had to install camber bolts. They kept coming loose. Recommend using blue thread locker. I ended up installing steeda camber plates. I took it back to dealership and told them how to adjust it. They were scratching their heads and said I need camber bolts. I think you need to find a speed shop or someone that does after market stuff.

I have a magnetic caliper tool. I know my current setting so I am going to try to adjust myself.

OP
OP

Wallace7777

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Speed shop in Mansfield, TX did the alignment, did a decent job but couldn’t get camber on one side perfect but us within a degree. I could buy the BMR parts and provide more adjustment but it generally rides well and not a big issue right now.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
I took my 2015 GT PP to the local Firestone to get an alignment after quite a few mods. I changed out from the PP springs to the Ford Racing Springs(lowered car about 1”) added Koni Shocks, Ford racing knuckle to toe-link bushings, BMR Rear control arms and BMR Cradle lockout kit. They put it on the rack then said it was out but they didn’t have the ability to set the suspension and took it off the rack and handed me back the keys. You can see print-out (attached)they gave me and said I really need to get the setting fixed quickly... I said that is why I was there. They tried to give me a performance shop contact and said I should give them a call. I didn’t bother taking it, not thinking I should trust anything they said. Does anyone have any input on this or suggestions where I should go, another Firestone or actually go to a performance shop only? Oddly enough, the car drives fairly smooth and straight just thought I would get an alignment after all the work I did.

A71E86EB-CEF9-4595-A7C1-4ADC0EA832FC.jpeg
Honestly, they didn't even try. You shouldn't have paid a dime for that bullshit.

OP
OP

Wallace7777

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Honestly, they didn't even try. You shouldn't have paid a dime for that bullshit.
They just drove the car off the lift and gave me the keys, I was just out my time and they should have told me from the start they couldn’t do the work. I am all good now!
Sponsored