Sponsored

Akins Ford - Fully loaded 6 Speed

teetoppz28

Walking on the dark side
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 400a PP1
I went to Akins when I got my car, they had one listed, Rapid Red car, on the website for $10k off. The stipulation was you had to go through their financing which wasn’t 0% or anything special like that. They would only do $5k off for bringing my own financing.

I went to Courtesy in Conyers, closer to home, and got an almost identical car for the same $10k off. Akins lost a sale that day because of the stipulation that they set that was honored at another dealership. I’m not a fan of theirs.
I had a similar deal with a local dealer... I took the offer, had them finance me, and drove off the lot. As soon as I got home, I called my credit union and had them take over the loan. :rockon:
Sponsored

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I had a similar deal with a local dealer... I took the offer, had them finance me, and drove off the lot. As soon as I got home, I called my credit union and had them take over the loan. :rockon:
I had a situation where I got like a 3k discount, but only if I financed the car using their financing, + I got a 3000 dollar warranty. (the same warranty in Idaho was 700 bucks, genuine Toyota) I said thats fine, lets do it.

3 days later, I came in, paid the loan off in cash 20k, and I had the warranty refunded, have 30 days to do so. I bought it from a dealer in Idaho over phone for 700, 7 years 100k miles, 0 deductible. same exact warranty all across nation. kinda like you guys do with flood ford in Florida.

at 99k I went to dealership and got a bunch of petty stuff fixed. easily got moneys worth.

but man! that guy was FURIOUS. definitely lost his commission off the finance kickback and the warranty kickback. He even told me I wasn't allowed to pay the car off etc. I had to get manager to do it all. he was mad. to be fair, I was only at the dealership for an hour for that sale, I already had the car/specs/etc all to be ordered ready. all I did was pass him the wishlist and he put the order in.

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
Many people go ahead and refinance later with their Credit Union just to make the purchase a smooth transition at the dealership.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
A VA dealer, Koons, I believe, advertises fabulous prices, but they take out the shipping and leave off doc fees and other nonsense, which they then add back in when you try to actually make the deal. I pointed out to the manager that what they were doing was deceptive and could be considered bait & switch, and he just kind of shrugged it off. So natch, they didn't get my business. Just on principle, because that's dishonest. Yes, I paid more somewhere else, just because.
They all do that, and they all say that the price does not include dealership fees, tax and title fees.

And shipping is completely different, what dealer is going to advertise their price with shipping included when 99.9% of their customers won't ever need shipping.

There's nothing fishy or deceptive about advertising the price of the car itself, then adding the usual dealership fees after. All dealerships have fees and pay taxes and titling fees. If anything, I'd be more weary of a dealership just advertising an "out the door" price because then you don't know how much you are actually paying for the car vs. the usual fees.

What is fishy is them advertising a price for the car with ALL incentives, and then saying "oh well you don't actually qualify for this incentive so you must pay more". That is bait and switch, but advertising the price of the car then saying it's + fees is not. Don't over think this.

I drove 10 hours to Koons because they had the best price on the east coast by far. I can deal with their "fishy" marketing advertising if it means sleeping with an extra $5000 in my pocket at night. The day I called I said the only fees I'm paying are your doc fee (which is capped by law), taxes and titling fees, nothing else. They took off all the BS fees right off.

Last edited:

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
They all do that, and they all say that the price does not include dealership fees, tax and title fees.

And shipping is completely different, what dealer is going to advertise their price with shipping included when 99.9% of their customers won't ever need shipping.

There's nothing fishy or deceptive about advertising the price of the car itself, then adding the usual dealership fees after. All dealerships have fees and pay taxes and titling fees. If anything, I'd be more weary of a dealership just advertising an "out the door" price because then you don't know how much you are actually paying for the car vs. the usual fees.
motorcycles are the worst, every single dealership advertises 10-13k msrp OTD, but OTD will be 16-20k.They say "No hidden fees!!!" then get there and bam 5k markup. I had to leave my state for a sale on my last motorcycle found a leftover for less than 2k msrp, all my local dealers wanted 3k-5k above msrp in "fees"

ridiculous.

Sponsored

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
motorcycles are the worst, every single dealership advertises 10-13k msrp OTD, but OTD will be 16-20k.They say "No hidden fees!!!" then get there and bam 5k markup. I had to leave my state for a sale on my last motorcycle found a leftover for less than 2k msrp, all my local dealers wanted 3k-5k above msrp in "fees"

ridiculous.
I agree adding markup to the MSRP is 100% BS and fishy. But adding in dealership fees and taxes on top of their advertised price is not.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I agree adding markup to the MSRP is 100% BS and fishy. But adding in dealership fees and taxes on top of their advertised price is not.
one dealership, which is like the largest in Ohio, wanted 2500 just for delivery and prep fee. onto of full MSRP, before taxes and documentation. I said pound sand.

The irony was, they told me they had the motorcycle I wanted, so I drove 3 hours there, in traffic, to find out, it wasn't the right motorcycle. even though they swore up and down they had it. so when I asked about getting the right motorcycle, said yeah, we don't do that. what we have is what you get.

I will forever boycott that dealership, iron pony in Columbus. absolute scam of dealers.

Soulja4187

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium & 2022 Audi A5 S-Line
That's a great deal. Sadly, Ford hasn't offered 0% for 60 or 72 months on 2020s.

I'm sure COVID has something to do with that.
They did, my 2020 GT that I got on April was with 0% for 72 months. No longer being offered through, they stopped it 2nd week on January 2021.

BimmerDriver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
GT convertible w/3 pedals, BMW M550i
No, I was referring to the delivery fee charged by Ford to get the car to the dealer. It's on the window sticker. Koons took it off for their advertised price, and then when it comes time to do the deal, they add it back.

That's not typical and it's certainly not right.

Zach@Granger

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grangerford.com
First Name
Zach
Vehicle(s)
2003 Cobra Mustang
No, I was referring to the delivery fee charged by Ford to get the car to the dealer. It's on the window sticker. Koons took it off for their advertised price, and then when it comes time to do the deal, they add it back.

That was a more common practice back in the day. You don't see that quite as much anymore.

Sponsored

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0

Weird, cuz I looked at cars at 3 different Koons locations this past fall and they all had that included right off the bat.

Wonder if it was one rogue salesman, that is 100% bait and switch and the place could be held liable if this is a common practice.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase

that's endemic across pretty much everybody here in DC/MD/VA in the general "capital region". Sheehy Gaithersburg is the lone exception and even that is variable.

Last edited:

BimmerDriver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
that's endemic across pretty much everybody here in DC/MD/VA in the general "capital region".
This is the kind of stuff that really burns my buns. "Well, everyone else does it." That's not a good excuse on the playground, and it's not a good excuse for business. Point in case: doc fees.

It's all b.s. It's pure nonsense, and there are several (granted not many) dealers that don't charge it all. And why, for example here in my town, does it cost more to do "docs" for a Jeep than it does 300 ft. away at the Porsche dealer? You'd think it'd be the opposite. And they're owned by the same company.

Yes, of course, there's more profit in a Porsche. But they can make it up in volume. :wink:

But really, it's a "necessary" charge the dealer will tell you. Yet, if you buy your car via the X-plan, then that silly fee is capped to what, $100? Doesn't seem so necessary now, does it?

Gawd, I hate the car business. It's so rife with liars and cheats. And obscene profits.

/rant

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
does it cost more to do "docs" for a Jeep than it does 300 ft. away at the Porsche dealer?
no it doesn't. But the Jeep is advertised at say 12% off MSRP and by tossing in garbage fees they get that back to say 10%. The Porsche dealer sells at 3% off MSRP take it or leave it, no garbage fees because he didn't advertise it "too low" to begin with.

It's a game and Americans are particularly ill-equipped to handle this SOLE area in consumer-goods activity that involves negotiations. In much of the rest of the world, buying a single hotdog from a cart involves negotiating. In USA you can nego your hospital/medical bills but practically nobody does it and it's unlikely to be successful, though you might be surprised.

In MD the fees are expressly declared as optional by state law. They were capped to 300 but now it's 500. In VA they are required to post the fees and that they must be uniformly applied at each dealership across all products, but just because they put 800 on the itemized bill doesn't mean you can't nego the vehicle price down by 500-800 to nullify the abhorrent line-item.

It's simple. (MSRP-freight) * 0.9 - garbage fees - incentives = your MAX offer price.

BimmerDriver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
It's a game and Americans are particularly ill-equipped to handle this SOLE area in consumer-goods activity that involves negotiations.
This is true.

But it shouldn't be a game. It's the second-largest purchase that most people make, and make it several times in their lives. It's sickening to see some people pay sticker (or more) because they don't know better, or are embarrassed. My FIL is like that.
Sponsored