Air Filter Directly on Paxton/Vortech Head Unit

joeman304

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
Anyone running an air filter directly on your Paxton/Vortech head units instead of using the JLT or stock airbox options?

I ordered a Vortech kit, for my 17 GT, from Beefcake recently and I was wondering if anyone has done this on their vehicles.

Any pros/cons to it?
Sponsored

Kona 18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang
Yes, you can pick up the Burger Motorsports filter, is has more surface area than the K&N most people use and it's made of silicone not rubber so it doesn't crack easily from heat. Google it, BMS shorty filter, I haven't tried the normal size one, but the shorty one fits, may need to trim the radiator shroud a bit, but it works well.

OP
OP

joeman304

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
Yes, you can pick up the Burger Motorsports filter, is has more surface area than the K&N most people use and it's made of silicone not rubber so it doesn't crack easily from heat. Google it, BMS shorty filter, I haven't tried the normal size one, but the shorty one fits, may need to trim the radiator shroud a bit, but it works well.
I'll take a look. Thanks for the help

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X

SoCalTim

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Sold : 15 GT
Yup, I installed:

Spectre Performance 8161 Universal Clamp-On Air Filter

Be prepared to chop off a good amount of the top radiator shroud for clearance.

Sponsored

fiveoboy01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 LB GT 400A
Yes, you can pick up the Burger Motorsports filter, is has more surface area than the K&N most people use
I find this hard to believe considering the size of the filter that comes with the JLT and other intakes.

Not a lot of room in front of the blower inlet to run a large filter.

Angry50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
seems like ti would be easier for them to do that than use the tube.. has to be some benefit of the tube

p6cl

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Do you have a pic of it installed that you could show us? Thx

Kona 18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang
I find this hard to believe considering the size of the filter that comes with the JLT and other intakes.

Not a lot of room in front of the blower inlet to run a large filter.
who said anything about JLT? They use S&B filter, I said K&N most people use when they delete the snorkel, you know, the RU-2510 filter.
IMG_2449.JPG

Kona 18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang
seems like ti would be easier for them to do that than use the tube.. has to be some benefit of the tube
It allowed Paxton to keep the stock airbus and filter, and that makes it easier to get CARB approval. Performance wise you can gain power by just removing the tube all together and running a velocity stack on the blower

Sponsored

fiveoboy01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 LB GT 400A
who said anything about JLT? They use S&B filter, I said K&N most people use when they delete the snorkel, you know, the RU-2510 filter.
IMG_2449.JPG
Most blower setups seem to eliminate the entire factory airbox - that is what I was talking about.

It might have more area than the panel filter, but not any of the typical cones(made by K&N or whomever) seen in most blown engine bays.

Kona 18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang
Most blower setups seem to eliminate the entire factory airbox - that is what I was talking about.

It might have more area than the panel filter, but not any of the typical cones(made by K&N or whomever) seen in most blown engine bays.
The filter on blower is more for daily duties, driving to and from track or a race, once there I normally ran a bell mouth directly on the blower itself, never did I use the snorkel it came with.

Scott

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, 2008 Mustang GT/CS, 1970 Boss 302
Vehicle Showcase
You are talking about a blow through MAF configuration right?

kcc0521

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bo
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT PP
I think it will lose power with that small filter over JLT plus you can’t hook line to driver valve cover

Kona 18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang
I think it will lose power with that small filter over JLT plus you can’t hook line to driver valve cover
comes dow to pressure drop across the filter vs pressure drop across the snorkel+JLT filter. That's why you want as large a filter as you can fit, so you have less pressure drop, but like I mentioned, always take it off when you race and it won't matter one way or the other
Sponsored