Sponsored

Aftermarket Cams

JJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350, trans am ws6, G80
Hello everyone,
Will we ever see aftermarket cams for the GT350?
Sponsored

5.2 liters of democracy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Vehicle(s)
2017 Avalanche Gray GT350
I can confirm YES there will be but we need to be patient..........
As a millennial, I feel entitled to be offended you're telling me I can't have instant gratification.

Joking aside, I'll wait as long as it takes to get some good options. I vaguely remember reading there may be some options releasing this year, but I'd have to do some digging to find it.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
As a millennial, I feel entitled to be offended you're telling me I can't have instant gratification.

Joking aside, I'll wait as long as it takes to get some good options. I vaguely remember reading there may be some options releasing this year, but I'd have to do some digging to find it.

Well this is awkward...I'm a millennial too :crackup:

But seriously, they're coming. The problem that manufacturers have been having is suppliers dogging them for cores. They've been nearly impossible to get. Since we're going down that road, I'll open the can of worms, Comp Cams, L&M Engines, Frankenstein Engine Dynamics, and Livernois have all been waiting for batches of cores. Comp said they'd grid anything from a bare rod but they'd need to have all specs and it'll kinda be on you to give them accurate info. Or bring your cams to them so they can take measurements to make their own core. L&M is actively working right now on lobe profiles. FED and Livernois I believe are both on hold.

EDIT: I wouldn't go calling any of these guys up right now and bombarding them. I'd say wait at least until mid spring.

Reactions: JJ

Sponsored

Mjc1241

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Reese
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
Ported heads, cams and a spot on tune would be wicked bon these cars!!! Nastang87xx and I have been discussing this via PM and this looks like a great avenue to take.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Sweet!! How much do you think the performance gains would be?
That is going to very much depend on the grind and other modifications. Supposedly there is a sweet spot that actually is smoothening out the low range (that goofy dip in torque around 3000 RPM) and carries on the top after 5500. Rumor is with good tuning maybe 30 - 40 RWHP at peak. As far as twist, I would be shocked to see peak RWTQ gains higher than single digits but it's about carrying the torque further, not higher and that's what I think most of us want. If you look at the torque curve as an umbrella, we want the umbrella to extend further not necessarily higher.

If you're going to do cams, do heads as well. Do it once, do it right. Those are also already available. RGR, FE Dynamics, Livernois, Watson Racing (SUPER expensive from Watson though!). L&M is working on it.

From what I can gather, there are two underlying "issues." The Voodoo heads actually are a touch restrictive on the intake side. Exhaust seems to be fine as long as you stay away from boost. As far as cams go, the car needs duration duration duration. Badly. Not a lot but it's just at the ragged edge where a bit more help will make a compelling difference. If I were to bench race based on the info I've received (and I'm no engine builder or tuner, let's keep that in mind please), I'd say there's conservatively 80 crank horsepower lurking in bigger heads and longer duration cams through factory exhaust. We can still reference back to FE Dynamics making the first plunge, remember that car with long tubes, no cats, 405cfm ported heads, and factory EVERYTHING else made 525 RWHP on a heart breaker dyno with no low end loses. Whipple also put FE Dynamics ported Voodoo heads on a boosted Coyote and gained 120 RWHP over factory gen 2 Coyote heads with no other support but a retune.

Take this all for what you will. Coyote and newer guys really aren't used to this whole talk about heads and cams because TIVCT has honestly kinda spoiled us. There is a lot to discuss. Just go into any Camaro/Corvette forum and see how crazy heads and cams talk gets. You've been warned lol.

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Comp said they'd grid anything from a bare rod but they'd need to have all specs and it'll kinda be on you to give them accurate info. Or bring your cams to them so they can take measurements to make their own core.
Have you talked with Comp about getting cams done this way? Anyone we can trust to spec this?

I reached out on Monday and have not heard back

TDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2019 Challenger Scat Pack Widebody, 2019 Corvette Grand Sport
Have you talked with Comp about getting cams done this way? Anyone we can trust to spec this?

Careful Badger, you may never see track time in 2019 if you keep this up! :crackup:

Last edited:

Sponsored

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Careful Badger, you may never see track time in 2019 if you this up! :crackup:
Haha. I can promise you one thing, soon as the short block is back in my possession, I will be reassembling regardless of where the rest of the project is at!

Last edited:

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack

Give them a ring if you can and hold until you get to a rep. I know it's not the greatest customer service but I don't think their email works correctly or they're just entirely way too flooded. I didn't dive too deep into this route with them because I definitely don't know anyone who could spec that. They actually said they would really like a set to R&D if someone wanted to "sacrifice" their cams or let them do measurements/play around. What that entirely entails is beyond me though.

Demonic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
Awhile back I asked Frankenstein about the one car they did they heads and cams for, and they said the owner of the car sold it soon after they were installed, which sounds like it halted the development a bit.

sublime1996525

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
That is going to very much depend on the grind and other modifications. Supposedly there is a sweet spot that actually is smoothening out the low range (that goofy dip in torque around 3000 RPM) and carries on the top after 5500. Rumor is with good tuning maybe 30 - 40 RWHP at peak. As far as twist, I would be shocked to see peak RWTQ gains higher than single digits but it's about carrying the torque further, not higher and that's what I think most of us want. If you look at the torque curve as an umbrella, we want the umbrella to extend further not necessarily higher.

If you're going to do cams, do heads as well. Do it once, do it right. Those are also already available. RGR, FE Dynamics, Livernois, Watson Racing (SUPER expensive from Watson though!). L&M is working on it.

From what I can gather, there are two underlying "issues." The Voodoo heads actually are a touch restrictive on the intake side. Exhaust seems to be fine as long as you stay away from boost. As far as cams go, the car needs duration duration duration. Badly. Not a lot but it's just at the ragged edge where a bit more help will make a compelling difference. If I were to bench race based on the info I've received (and I'm no engine builder or tuner, let's keep that in mind please), I'd say there's conservatively 80 crank horsepower lurking in bigger heads and longer duration cams through factory exhaust. We can still reference back to FE Dynamics making the first plunge, remember that car with long tubes, no cats, 405cfm ported heads, and factory EVERYTHING else made 525 RWHP on a heart breaker dyno with no low end loses. Whipple also put FE Dynamics ported Voodoo heads on a boosted Coyote and gained 120 RWHP over factory gen 2 Coyote heads with no other support but a retune.

Take this all for what you will. Coyote and newer guys really aren't used to this whole talk about heads and cams because TIVCT has honestly kinda spoiled us. There is a lot to discuss. Just go into any Camaro/Corvette forum and see how crazy heads and cams talk gets. You've been warned lol.
I’ll confirm that heads/cam talk. I went down that rabbit hole with my C5Z06. Wanted a medium budget build. Heads/cam. That’s it. Ended up with ported heads, cam, ported FAST intake, all new components in the heads, new lifters and trays, new timing chain, oil pump, LT headers, beefed up transmission - upgraded shift forks, billet shift keys, and bronze pads on the forks - new monster clutch, puck style (mistake), I’m probably forgetting something, and several hours of tuning.

I was about to go with a 402 stroker but I sold it for a C6Z06. I’m scared to even consider cams again. It’s almost cheaper to go FI lol.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Awhile back I asked Frankenstein about the one car they did they heads and cams for, and they said the owner of the car sold it soon after they were installed, which sounds like it halted the development a bit.
This is correct. They basically need another development car although I think their interest has rather dwindled as well. However I know they really want to do a billet manifold focused around turbo applications for runway and roll racing.
Sponsored