AFR Stuck at 14

shitstang01

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2013 Mustang GT 5.0
Recently got long tube headers installed on my 2013 GT, have the front o2 sensors connected properly but only one is connected by an extension the other one could fit without any extensions. I’m also running open headers currently as I haven’t been able to find a shop to get my exhaust put back on yet. My AFR on my car dash screen has been at 14 for days and through my nGauge device it says zero.. leading me to believe it’s not reading and won’t be able to adjust correctly. My tuning company told me don’t worry about it as long as I’m running their 93 octane tune my car was tuned for as I do not need a tune for open headers either. Should I be concerned?
Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Put the stock tune back in and start up the engine. If it now reads it is the tune, if it still stays a 14 you need to check the sensors and wiring. No way would I run a wideband sensing car without them working. If the car was speed density then I wouldn't care as much.

Nuked

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GTPP w/Recaros
Vehicle Showcase
Pull codes and see if it reads any. Sounds like dead O2 sensors or bad wiring somewhere (likely the extension). Also for FYI, make sure the o2 is at least 6-8" from the open header. It will give inaccurate readings from the outside air.

OP
OP
shitstang01

shitstang01

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2013 Mustang GT 5.0
Put the stock tune back in and start up the engine. If it now reads it is the tune, if it still stays a 14 you need to check the sensors and wiring. No way would I run a wideband sensing car without them working. If the car was speed density then I wouldn't care as much.
I might have pulled on the wires of the sensors two hard when trying to pull them
Pull codes and see if it reads any. Sounds like dead O2 sensors or bad wiring somewhere (likely the extension). Also for FYI, make sure the o2 is at least 6-8" from the open header. It will give inaccurate readings from the outside air.
i went back to stock tune no lights and I no codes on the car at all. I must have messed up a wire or pulled to hard on them while trying to bring them down to plug them in. Guess I’ll just have to order replacements, thanks!

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
I would use the same length extension on both sides, even if not needed. These cars computers use VERY small variances in voltage to signal changes. You want the same length wire on both sides.

Sponsored

OP
OP
shitstang01

shitstang01

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2013 Mustang GT 5.0
Ok
I would use the same length extension on both sides, even if not needed. These cars computers use VERY small variances in voltage to signal changes. You want the same length wire on both sides.
Ok I’ll put the other extension in this weekend, I didn’t realize extensions weren’t needed until I ordered them just made the process easier.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
The reason LTH's need a tune is due to the longer wire. I'm not convinced, but it won't hurt. Both sides should be the same in any event.

The stock computer has a pretty wide adjustment range, I can't comment on an aftermarket tune.

Nuked

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GTPP w/Recaros
Vehicle Showcase
Has nothing to do with the length of wire. What your referring to is Transport Delay. It is a table to let the ECU know how much time between the AFR reading at the o2 is vs combustion. On headers the o2 sensor is further downstream vs stock. That is what the table is designed to adjust.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
I had the term wrong but am also correct. There is resistance in wire and connections. I want both sides to be equal so the tables work equally on each side.

A tenth of a volt means a lot.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
I had the term wrong but am also correct. There is resistance in wire and connections. I want both sides to be equal so the tables work equally on each side.
Holy wow lol. How much more resistance do you think there is in a 6" extension (rhetorical).

TO the O/P. WHY don't you believe your tuner (lund I assume)? Any codes coming up? He woulda seen it n the logs and told you. I don't even look at what the AF says on the dash, cause I couldn't care less. IF your running gas, you don't need a tune for LTH. Also you said your running OPEN HEADERS. So you obviously ain't running rear O2's. Lordy, lordy, lordy.

Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
OP
OP
shitstang01

shitstang01

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2013 Mustang GT 5.0
Holy wow lol. How much more resistance do you think there is in a 6" extension (rhetorical).

TO the O/P. WHY don't you believe your tuner (lund I assume)? Any codes coming up? He woulda seen it n the logs and told you. I don't even look at what the AF says on the dash, cause I couldn't care less. IF your running gas, you don't need a tune for LTH. Also you said your running OPEN HEADERS. So you obviously ain't running rear O2's. Lordy, lordy, lordy.
Just now seeing your response but still having the same issue even with my full exhaust back on now. I don’t believe my tuner because nothing was ever logged for him to read it and this is coming from the dash it’s still stuck at 14 and on the tuning device it’s not even reading well it’s reading zero. I don’t have any codes and the car runs just fine I’m starting to assume the tune still controls the afr I guess and even though it’s not reading for me to see maybe it’s still functioning properly. I’ve put a lot of money into this car and just would like peace of mind making sure everything works and/or can be monitored. Thanks

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
If your tuning device is not reading afr something is wrong.

Idling it should read 1.12 to .80 range and fluctuate.

OP
OP
shitstang01

shitstang01

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2013 Mustang GT 5.0
If your tuning device is not reading afr something is wrong.

Idling it should read 1.12 to .80 range and fluctuate.
I’m going to assume I messed the wiring up when trying to put extensions in or either the heat from the open headers damaged them. Guess it’s time to order some new ones.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve put a lot of money into this car and just would like peace of mind making sure everything works and/or can be monitored.
take a short vid of what it's doing. You reading from the dash ? Ngauge?
Sponsored