Sponsored

Advice needed: Steering issue

Less Weight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Hey all,

My 2016 GT started exhibiting a steering issue recently so decided to ask on here to see if anyone had experience with something similar.

Essentially, when I turn the steering wheel to the left in order to negotiate a corner, the steering wheel will hold whatever position I've put it into and won't return to its initial position.

This only happens when the wheel is turned to the left. When turned to the right and hands are removed from the steering wheel upon completing the curve, the wheel will return as it should to a straight position.

The only changes done to the car recently was swapping out the standard steel strut tower brace for the lighter GT350 aluminum brace. Additionally, I replaced my rims and tires with lightweight Apex EC-7 wheels (18 x 9.5 wheels) mounted to General G-Max RS tires. (255/40/18 front/275/40/18 rear.)

The first time it happened it was a bit of a pucker moment because I lessened my grip on the wheel expecting it to return straight as the road straightened but it held position which caused me to yank the wheel manually to straighten up.

Thanks in advance for any input.
Sponsored

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
It could be several things but I'm afraid that my guess is a failing electric power steering gearbox.
My daughters Focus had her gearbox die. The motor went out. It's an expensive PITA to replace.
Oddly to me Ford said it was because she drove it out of alignment and the ruined tires killed it.

OP
OP
Less Weight

Less Weight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
It could be several things but I'm afraid that my guess is a failing electric power steering gearbox.
My daughters Focus had her gearbox die. The motor went out. It's an expensive PITA to replace.
Oddly to me Ford said it was because she drove it out of alignment and the ruined tires killed it.
Shit... Of course this had to happen after my car is no longer under warranty; just my luck.

My car doesn't even have 10,000 miles on it so that makes it even more frustrating.

Though it's true that I did not have an alignment performed after I replaced my tires but that was only less than 300 miles ago so I doubt that could have caused the issue. Hmm...

Regardless, thanks for the input; much appreciated. :thumbsup: