Sponsored

Adding Nitrous...how do you do it safely?

DivineStrike

Doomsday
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GTPP, 11 F150 FX4, 07 CBR600RR
Just curious. About the safety and reliability of the engine when going Nitrous. I haven't really entertained the idea of Nitrous seriously but it might be a consideration to have a little fun without spending money on FI while saving up to maybe do a N/A build. Really just depends on how I feel when the time comes which route I go. Nitrous on a 500+whp N/A motor I imagine would be pretty sick. However I wish 600whp N/A was realistic with the little 5.0

The nitrous would be just for fun. No competitive drag racing. However the N/A build would be for a road course with nitrous for fun drag events.
Sponsored

FATHERFORD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Nitrous is fun, and "cheaper" then FI, but it is not cheap. You don't go throw on a $600 kit and away you go. There is a lot of safety equipment you SHOULD buy to protect your motor.

What you will need to decide is weather to go forced induction, nitrous, or both and what power level is your ultimate goal. Nitrous hits hard, and is killer at the track. Drives completely like a stock car until you hit the arming switch, open the bottles, and purge. This is pending they have nitrous in the bottles and the bottles are even in your car(if you daily drive it). You are looking at $30-40 per 10lb bottle fill up, if you use it on the weekends to play you better have a few bottles.

Most FI, as long as you have a good tune, still gets great(or better) gas mileage, drives mostly like a stock car, and all you have to do is hit the go petal. Most all kits on the market will make enough power for you to throw a rod on a factory engine.

Nitrous is fun, and I have it on my viper, and most likely will put a small shot on my Mustangs. Just know what you are getting into before you make the plunge.

<---Used to work for Nitrous Outlet and worked with most of all the nitrous Companies out there.

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
If you are going to purchase a nitrous kit from any of the reputable vendors they should set you up with everything you need. An important part is the window switch which only allows nitrous to flow within preset parameters such as RPM(minimum and maximum) as well as throttle position. Usually you will need spark plugs in a colder heat range and while not necessary for small shots(~50hp) having a good tune that adds the proper amount of fuel and backs off ignition timing a tad is a very very good idea.

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Garrett
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
We do recommend running a heater, and RPM window switch to keep things safe. You could add 100-150hp to a basically stock long block with a good tune, good fuel and some cooler spark plugs. As long as you follow our guidelines, nitrous can be perfectly safe as long as all the precautions are taken and you don't try to outdo what the motor is capable of handling. If you have any specific questions feel free to PM me or comment.

Thanks,
Garrett

theereverand

Theereverand
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Garrett what would you recommend kit wise for 15 GT

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsored

UPRSteve

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.uprproducts.com
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
The NX plate system would work great. I have seen over 550rwhp on a 150 shot 2015.

The GenXII System would come with all the other parts you need. Blowdown tube, Bottle heater, and purge system. For a Manual car, a window switch would be a nice item to get so you can control your RPM range.

Only other option I would look into is a 1degree colder plug like the NGK 6510s and a good tuner that knows nitrous and works with you.

We offer the NX systems at UPRproducts.com

Mustang8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
Nitrous is fun, and "cheaper" then FI, but it is not cheap. You don't go throw on a $600 kit and away you go. There is a lot of safety equipment you SHOULD buy to protect your motor.

What you will need to decide is weather to go forced induction, nitrous, or both and what power level is your ultimate goal. Nitrous hits hard, and is killer at the track. Drives completely like a stock car until you hit the arming switch, open the bottles, and purge. This is pending they have nitrous in the bottles and the bottles are even in your car(if you daily drive it). You are looking at $30-40 per 10lb bottle fill up, if you use it on the weekends to play you better have a few bottles.

Most FI, as long as you have a good tune, still gets great(or better) gas mileage, drives mostly like a stock car, and all you have to do is hit the go petal. Most all kits on the market will make enough power for you to throw a rod on a factory engine.

Nitrous is fun, and I have it on my viper, and most likely will put a small shot on my Mustangs. Just know what you are getting into before you make the plunge.

<---Used to work for Nitrous Outlet and worked with most of all the nitrous Companies out there.
So if I go FI, I can expect to have about the same mileage when I drive "normally"?

Don't mean to derail the thread, just curious about the point you made.

wproctor411

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT
The torque is what really shines with NOS. My 90' has dual 100 shot and its fun. I've got about 15 years and several hundred hits out of it. Tracks usually have less expensive fill ups when vendors are present.

wproctor411

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT
So if I go FI, I can expect to have about the same mileage when I drive "normally"?

This depends on your tune and your foot. Do you mean MPG or engine life ?

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Garrett
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT

Mileage will change for better or worse depending on how you drive with a blower or turbo. With nitrous, you shouldn't notice any MPG change. Nitrous is only there when you need it.

-Garrett

Sponsored
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Garrett
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Garrett what would you recommend kit wise for 15 GT

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What Steve (UPR) said. Either one of these systems would work great on your application. With colder plugs, an NX system and a Nitrous tune, you can run 100-150 HP no problems and make the numbers your looking for, easily!

http://www.nitrousexpress.com/20948-10-50-coyote-plate-system-35-200hp-w-10lb-bottle.html

http://www.nitrousexpress.com/20951...tput-plate-system-50-250hp-w-10lb-bottle.html

If you have any questions feel free to ask!

Thanks,
Garrett

stoli

Fat Guy Racing
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'15 Black GT/PP
The NX plate system would work great. I have seen over 550rwhp on a 150 shot 2015.

The GenXII System would come with all the other parts you need. Blowdown tube, Bottle heater, and purge system. For a Manual car, a window switch would be a nice item to get so you can control your RPM range.

Only other option I would look into is a 1degree colder plug like the NGK 6510s and a good tuner that knows nitrous and works with you.

We offer the NX systems at UPRproducts.com
Resurrecting an old thread...

Any other suggestions? I'm leaning towards a nitrous setup since a blower is just out of my foreseeable budget... I want to make sure I'm not wishing I had added something after the fact.

rio16

MAD_50HH
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rio
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Whippled Competition Orange
We do recommend running a heater, and RPM window switch to keep things safe. You could add 100-150hp to a basically stock long block with a good tune, good fuel and some cooler spark plugs. As long as you follow our guidelines, nitrous can be perfectly safe as long as all the precautions are taken and you don't try to outdo what the motor is capable of handling. If you have any specific questions feel free to PM me or comment.

Thanks,
Garrett
Are the HEATER and WINDOW switch included??? any links to a complete kit for the 15 GTs

Thanks

stoli

Fat Guy Racing
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'15 Black GT/PP
Pros or cons to to Nitrous Outlet vs Nitrous Express 'kits'?

Window switch or 2-stage setup?

Any advice is appreciated. ;)

Nitro_Bro

Got protein, bro?
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BroLyfe
Vehicle(s)
So many cars, so little space.
Bro, there's so much more to playing with the spray than bolting on a kit. You need a few things-

1- A purge kit
2- A bottle heater
3- A window switch or Progressive Controller
4- A large enough fuel supply
5- A way to pull timing
6- A proper set of spark plugs
7- A sweet T-shirt
8- Sunglasses
9- Honeys

You need this stuff, bro. A purge will make sure your feed line is clear of air so you can get a nice consistent hit. It'll also let you let off some some pressure if your bottle pressure is too high. A heater will keep your bottle pressure from getting too low. Opt for an automatic one..you don't want to babysit your bottle when you could be banging gears. A window switch or controller will help you to prevent activating your nitrous at the wrong time..nobody likes it when your spray is premature. Don't forget about yanking some timing, bro. This will keep you from have backfires and blowouts. And bro- don't skimp on plugs...get you some that were designed to work with nitrous for your application. It needs to be non-projected tip, and stay away from iridium and platinum plugs bro, they can cause more trouble than anyother part of your system. And let's face it...sunglasses, a sweet t-shirt, and honeys makes everything better.
Sponsored