Sponsored

Adding an Oil Pressure Gauge?

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I would really love to get a ProSport electric oil pressure gauge, and mount it to the center air vent with the adapter kit you can buy online. The oil gauge comes with a pressure sender, but from what I gather, there is already a sender of some type installed in the system for the normal pressure indication on the dash.

My question is, can I just wire the pressure gauge to the existing wires somewhere in the dash to get a reading? Or, do I need to install the provided pressure sender separately and run the wires through the firewall?

To be honest, I wish I could just tap off the existing leads sending the signal to the dash for an actual psi reading. Has anyone done this? If so, where are those leads located?
Sponsored

Dusten

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dusten
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang, 2001 Ford Lightning, 1968 Ford Mustang
The issue with that lies two fold.
1) is the signal from the oem sender the same range as the aftermarket?
2) is your wire tap going to effect voltage enough to effect the oem sender's output?

Likely, the answer to both is yes and no. And you should be fine.

OP
OP

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Does anyone have a wiring diagram showing which leads send oil pressure signal to the dash?

buzz-dee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Premium PP
Does anyone have a wiring diagram showing which leads send oil pressure signal to the dash?
Oil pressure value is transmitted over the CAN-BUS, so unless the ProSport unit is able to read the CAN-Bus you're out of luck. I'm quite sure the Prosport is looking for a voltage Signal.

OP
OP

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Doesn't it have a pressure sending unit on the engine? Aren't those wires going to be sending a voltage signal into the cabin before they get turned into a digital signal for the in-dash display?

Sponsored

buzz-dee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Premium PP
the voltage from the pressure sensor is sent to the PowertrainControlModule iirc
From there it’s being translated into a CAN-Bus message and sent into the CAN network. The Pressure gauge reads the message form the network and displays the pressure value.
So it might be worth a try and measure voltage right at the sensor. If that voltage range corresponds to the voltages your pro sport gauge needs to see, it MIGHT work.

But it’s just guessing. I’d be really surprised if the signals were compatible.

OP
OP

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
the voltage from the pressure sensor is sent to the PowertrainControlModule iirc
From there it’s being translated into a CAN-Bus message and sent into the CAN network. The Pressure gauge reads the message form the network and displays the pressure value.
So it might be worth a try and measure voltage right at the sensor. If that voltage range corresponds to the voltages your pro sport gauge needs to see, it MIGHT work.

But it’s just guessing. I’d be really surprised if the signals were compatible.
Well, considering the Performance Gauges are electric, I assume it "might" work. However, I don't don't know if the PP uses the same sender or not. It might be different. So, basically, what I need to do then is just figure out where those wires come in through the firewall, and tap in and measure voltage signal before the PCM.

The other option is to install an OBDII gauge/reader, and see if there is a way to get the signal to read psi somehow. Like an Ngauge.

buzz-dee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Premium PP
Be careful! All diagrams below are from the 2015/2016 MY workshop manual. Your pin #'s and / or wiring colours CAN be different from that.
Use at your own risk. If in doubt, please have someone look it up in the 2018+ workshop manual.

Here you go:

I gathered some information about the oil pressure system. The sensor is wired to PCM Pin 34 (green violett wire), 57(gray wire) and 49 (yellow-green wire). If I understand the system correctly, the PCM sends out a reference voltage at pin 34 to the pressure sensor. This voltage is altered by the sensor depending on the actual oil pressure meassured and sent back to the PCM at pin 57.
The PCM is located at the inner passenger side shock tower (see third pic).

So your best bet would be to measure the voltage at pin 57 and see if ist in the range your ProSport needs it.

The nGauge you mentioned can display oil pressure but you need an additional oil pressure sensor and wiring.

good luck.​

IMG_0544.PNG

IMG_0546.PNG

IMG_0547.jpg

IMG_0549.jpg

69mach1-395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT/CS
I don't see the point in replicating an electronic signal...I only believe in a mechanical gage for something that is important. If it's just for show, that's another story.

Coosawjack

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Convertible
I wonder why Ford just left Oil Pressure off of our cars....seems sorta silly to me to only show "NORMAL" for it??
Sponsored