Adding an in-dash CD player?

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
I use my BO CD player because I am too lazy to rip things to USB, plus I can never find the right USB to begin with when driving. Plus its impossible to navigate the USB when full of ripped CDs, at least for me. The dash menu never works, or is laggy.
CD in, play, enjoy the drive.
If all your MP3's are tagged correctly, all you need to do is push the Voice button and say "Play album X" or create playlists on a PC then put the playlist file on the USB. Use the command "Play playlist My Rock Mix" or whatever. Or just have it shuffle the entire library. It's very easy.
Sponsored

luca1290

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luca
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Mercedes A250 4Matic (W177)
I'll try to give the first constructive answer here.

The CD player is part of the Audio Control Module.
On non B&O cars it includes a 4 channel amplifier and some logic (don't have access to Workshop Service Manual right now so I can't check cabling, sorry).
On B&O cars it has the CD player integrated but I'm unsure IF it still has the 4 channel amplifier in it, that's because on B&O cars you have a separate amplifier.

Bottom of the story is: both cars have ACMs because it's used for the audio-related activities the car performs. The APIM (Sync system) actually delegates everything that's audio to this module.

What I will do if I where you is:
  1. Compare cable schematics for the B&O and non-B&O ACMs.
  2. Compare programming data with FordScan, for both ACMs and APIMs.
  3. You'll also need an eject button and the hole for inserting the CD, that means changing the FCIM (Front Controls Interface Module) and programming.
It can probably be done but it will be a huge pain in the ass.
Do it only if you can't live without it.

Gnatsum21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Former: GT 21 Roush Twister Orange RIP | ECO 2016
Keep in mind the B/O CD player does not play data CDs, those you fill up with MP3s, already tried that route.. 😅
EDIT: maybe fmods.net has a solution? Need to research..

Sponsored

Earlsays

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 MUSTANG GT
You could probably replace your existing non-CD ACM with an ACM equipped with a CD player, a bit of forscan or IDS enabling of CD player, and it should work in theory....My 2015 had a CD player, which saw very little use...we truly have moved on from them...but I occasionally want to play a CD and can't, so, I get it.

ARAMP1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350
From someone that still rocks CDs, I love that my 2020 model year car has a CD player.

The last new vehicle we bought (a Porsche) has a factory CD player that will also play DVD-As. I've thought about upgrading to a Kenwood or Alpine CD player to get rid of the sync 3s nanny functions but the ability to play DVD-As would be a plus too.

luca1290

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luca
Vehicle(s)
What I think most people don't get is that doing this kind of mods and preserving the OEM functionalities and modules is difficult.

For them it's just a CD player, in reality it's at least 3 different modules (FCIM, ACM, APIM) that needs to be integrated.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
What I think most people don't get is that doing this kind of mods and preserving the OEM functionalities and modules is difficult.

For them it's just a CD player, in reality it's at least 3 different modules (FCIM, ACM, APIM) that needs to be integrated.
100% correct Luca. Also keep in mind that making any of these changes will void the warranty on them. Considering the #1 reason for those buying extended warranty’s (ESP) is electronics this could really come back to bite you in the future.

OP, just get the external USB player and KISS. :giggle: :like:

OP
OP
Rabbi Mike

Rabbi Mike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 EcoBoost High Performance Package 6MT convert.
Thank you for sharing some actual info (and for reading the post!).

To be clear, I wouldn't even dream of trying to do this myself. My question was about whether it was even possible. In other words, would a reputable car stereo shop be able to even do this?

I'll try to give the first constructive answer here.

The CD player is part of the Audio Control Module.
On non B&O cars it includes a 4 channel amplifier and some logic (don't have access to Workshop Service Manual right now so I can't check cabling, sorry).
On B&O cars it has the CD player integrated but I'm unsure IF it still has the 4 channel amplifier in it, that's because on B&O cars you have a separate amplifier.

Bottom of the story is: both cars have ACMs because it's used for the audio-related activities the car performs. The APIM (Sync system) actually delegates everything that's audio to this module.

What I will do if I where you is:
  1. Compare cable schematics for the B&O and non-B&O ACMs.
  2. Compare programming data with FordScan, for both ACMs and APIMs.
  3. You'll also need an eject button and the hole for inserting the CD, that means changing the FCIM (Front Controls Interface Module) and programming.
It can probably be done but it will be a huge pain in the ass.
Do it only if you can't live without it.

Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Thank you for sharing some actual info (and for reading the post!).

To be clear, I wouldn't even dream of trying to do this myself. My question was about whether it was even possible. In other words, would a reputable car stereo shop be able to even do this?
If the shop is fully versed in Ford audio electronics and programming yes.

My question to you is why would you risk a warranty claim refusal on a brand new car.

luca1290

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luca
Vehicle(s)
My question was about whether it was even possible. In other words, would a reputable car stereo shop be able to even do this?
It may be possible.
Ask them if it's feasible to change your ACM and FCIM to ones compatible with the CD player and if they have experience programming them and the APIM.

If they accept the challenge, please post back your results.
Sponsored