Benjamin Hundred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Benjamin
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT230 Convertible
Hey everyone,

I have a 2018 Mustang Ecoboost Convertible, it didn’t come with the active exhaust but came factory with the wiring harness to add it in place. I just picked up a like new active exhaust with both actuators, $50 for everything.

From videos I’ve seen the active exhaust even in quiet mode is louder than a non active stock Ecoboost. I’m assuming this is from the fact they remove the resonator on active exhaust models. I don’t want my Ecoboost loud at all, I want to stay near the stock volume level but with a better tone, stock just sounds like a hairdryer. I did add a CVF catted down pipe which added a very small amount of noise with some turbo.

I’m planning to install the active exhaust but keep the OEM resonator installed so the volume levels are kept down. Does anyone have any experience or added a resonator before on an active exhaust?

I understand most people seem to like removing the resonator for extra sound but I’m not too crazy on a loud Ecoboost. Also my car has an entire Shelby GT500 body and interior swap so I’d feel weird with a loud 4 cylinder GT500 look alike. I just want a refined tone that’s quiet and better than stock.

This exhaust I think is absperfect for what I’m looking for, I’m crazy about it but it’s just soooo much money ($1,800) and I got the active exhaust for $50. Unless someone wants to buy this active exhaust 😂

IMG_6621.jpeg
Sponsored

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
I run in Quiet mode all the time. It only open up a little when you're full throttle and The first couple seconds on cold start. Beyond that, it's reasonably quiet and a nicer sound than the resonator. Tone makes a big difference on the sound.

Buldawg76

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ecoboost Premium, 76 Harley shovel, 77 KZ1000
Sharp looking ride for sure.

I cannot answer your question about active exhaust with a resonator installed since I don't have it on my car.

I think you will find that if your car did not come with active exhaust, you will not be able to control the modes for it until you use the Forscan program or an HP tuners/PCMtec program to activate the functions. You likely will find now that going into the menus and settings in the dash that you will not have any active exhaust function visible to even select from for changing the modes. It's not just a simple install active system and plug in connectors and your done unless the car had active exhaust from the factory.

BD

OP
OP
Benjamin Hundred

Benjamin Hundred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Benjamin
Vehicle(s)
Sharp looking ride for sure.

I cannot answer your question about active exhaust with a resonator installed since I don't have it on my car.

I think you will find that if your car did not come with active exhaust, you will not be able to control the modes for it until you use the Forscan program or an HP tuners/PCMtec program to activate the functions. You likely will find now that going into the menus and settings in the dash that you will not have any active exhaust function visible to even select from for changing the modes. It's not just a simple install active system and plug in connectors and your done unless the car had active exhaust from the factory.

BD
Very familiar with ForScan, used many many times, swapped out the entire interior and added several OEM options it didn’t come along with the digital dash programming. I had to turn active exhaust modes off when I swapped the dash so I used to have the modes active. Biggest part is having the wiring there so I don’t need to run custom wiring.

I’m starting to lean towards selling this exhaust with actuators and just getting the Borla Touring, I’m personally really sold on its improved tone and quieter setup I think will go well with the high flow cat.

ihasnostang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Saturn ion, 2019 201A, EB PP1, Ruby Red
i love my AE. i am high flow catted with no resonator. may be work a quick look under the rear of the car to see if you have the part of the harness before the jumper to the actuator. Since AE came out for the GT in 2018 and 2019 for the ecoboost,maybe your car has the majority of the harness already installed.

1716523103405-54.png

Sponsored

Buldawg76

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ecoboost Premium, 76 Harley shovel, 77 KZ1000
Very familiar with ForScan, used many many times, swapped out the entire interior and added several OEM options it didn’t come along with the digital dash programming. I had to turn active exhaust modes off when I swapped the dash so I used to have the modes active. Biggest part is having the wiring there so I don’t need to run custom wiring.

I’m starting to lean towards selling this exhaust with actuators and just getting the Borla Touring, I’m personally really sold on its improved tone and quieter setup I think will go well with the high flow cat.
I hope you saved the active exhaust line coding so you can easily reactivate it with Forscan. Good luck with the swap and hope that adding resonator gives you the sound you are after.

BD

OP
OP
Benjamin Hundred

Benjamin Hundred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Benjamin
Vehicle(s)
i love my AE. i am high flow catted with no resonator. may be work a quick look under the rear of the car to see if you have the part of the harness before the jumper to the actuator. Since AE came out for the GT in 2018 and 2019 for the ecoboost,maybe your car has the majority of the harness already installed.

1716523103405-54.png
Yes it has the entire harness there and should be good to go, thank you for sharing the diagram 🙏🏼

Do you have any sound clips of the high flow cat with active exhaust?

OP
OP
Benjamin Hundred

Benjamin Hundred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Benjamin
Vehicle(s)
I hope you saved the active exhaust line coding so you can easily reactivate it with Forscan. Good luck with the swap and hope that adding resonator gives you the sound you are after.

BD
Thank you, I appreciate your input and advice, hoping to find a good sound and tone 🙏🏼

S550HPP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 HPP Vert
I bought a take off EB resonator and spliced it in my HPP exhaust to quieten it down. Still have some drone in quiet mode at low rpm with roof open, so I use sport mode to bump rpm up a touch which eliminates it. With roof up it's very quiet.
Sponsored