Active exhaust problem after Borla S Type install

DjMig

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 with AE
Hi all, I just installed borla s type with active exhaust on my 19 GT PP1 with AE (~4K miles) and the first week the modes all worked great. Now I am getting a “exhaust mode unavailable” only with track mode. The other exhaust modes are available and still functioning. Any ideas? Should I bring back to shop that I had install or to dealership? Thank you!
Sponsored

302@12psi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Kona PP2 Recaros
Probably a poor connection or melted wire. Take it back and have them look.

OP
OP

DjMig

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
Probably a poor connection or melted wire. Take it back and have them look.
Ok thanks, bringing it back to shop tomorrow. If melted wire, is that something that I would need to bring back to dealership?

hemistar1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2, 2017 F-150
Danny, if the wire melted it would probably be the exhaust installers fault. At least that is what the dealer will say. When I did my Borla ATAK cat back I made sure to re-tape and zip tie the wires because of a few posts I saw here. Ford did a lousy job of taping/shrinking the original AE harnesses and once they are moved when installing the good stuff...it gets even worse.

If it is a defect in the AE harness then the dealer may take responsibility it don’t hold your breath. The installer may not want to take responsibility either.

I am hoping it is something else but I am leaning towards melted AE harness.

See this thread...https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/active-exhaust-failure.134702/#post-2773449

Sponsored

Hadelson

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hugo
Vehicle(s)
19 Roush RS3 P2, 6 speed; Lots of suspension work
Danny, if the wire melted it would probably be the exhaust installers fault. At least that is what the dealer will say. When I did my Borla ATAK cat back I made sure to re-tape and zip tie the wires because of a few posts I saw here. Ford did a lousy job of taping/shrinking the original AE harnesses and once they are moved when installing the good stuff...it gets even worse.

If it is a defect in the AE harness then the dealer may take responsibility it don’t hold your breath. The installer may not want to take responsibility either.

I am hoping it is something else but I am leaning towards melted AE harness.

See this thread...https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/active-exhaust-failure.134702/#post-2773449
Agree. It is a poor design. Did the same thing when I swapped mine out. Carefully re-taped and repositioned wires with zip ties. No issues

sabtaj1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 Mustang GT, 1965 Fairlane 500 wagon
its common for wires to rub through.... However, maybe it was just the one wire and didnt short out since you say all modes work except track mode.... Mine all quite working and was stuck in track mode since it blew the fuse too... Most if not all issues is with the passenger side wires at the solenoid.

OP
OP

DjMig

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
Thanks everyone, all exhaust modes worked today on way to muffler shop! At shop, all the wires were intact/not rubbing against any metal. The passenger side wiring wasn’t clicked in/secured all the way to the actuator when we interrogated it. I wonder if this was this issue? Knock on wood, let’s hope no further issues. Thanks again

OP
OP

DjMig

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
Still getting exhaust mode selection not available intermittently and randomly but ONLY for track mode. The other modes function perfectly. Anyone have the same issue with active exhaust/know of a fix. Kind of annoying to not know when it’s going to work or not

Sponsored

Mazman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP1 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Is the spring positioned correctly between the actuator and the valve?
Still getting exhaust mode selection not available intermittently and randomly but ONLY for track mode. The other modes function perfectly. Anyone have the same issue with active exhaust/know of a fix. Kind of annoying to not know when it’s going to work or not

OP
OP

DjMig

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
not sure, how can I check this? all the wires look intact and there connections to the actuator seem ok. it happens randomly and only when I attempt to switch it to track mode. And then randomly resolves without intervention. Baffled but annoyed

NeedForGreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I second this. Those springs are so damn fragile. I put Ataks on myself and the springs can easily pop out of the clips. I'm guessing the shop didn't put the springs in the grooves properly. Did you see if the valve opens all the way on track mode or not? If not its the springs.
The Borlas have a spot thats open that you can actually look into it. See if you can shine a flashlight and see if the springs are in the grooves on both sides.....that is if you can get to it without having to remove the muffler.

hemistar1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2, 2017 F-150

Danny, sorry it’s still not 100%..I would have the shop take it down and re-tape the harnessing and check the valves again to make sure their seated.. . This will help make sure all is connected properly.

I have not driven mine much since the exhaust change..maybe 300 miles (aye corona) but no intermittent issues.

GOOD LUCK .

OP
OP

DjMig

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
Danny, sorry it’s still not 100%..I would have the shop take it down and re-tape the harnessing and check the valves again to make sure their seated.. . This will help make sure all is connected properly.

I have not driven mine much since the exhaust change..maybe 300 miles (aye corona) but no intermittent issues.

GOOD LUCK .
hey all! Not sure if I found the issue but when the car is in track mode the driver side exhaust valve is open to ~80-90% vs 100% on the passenger. Could this be it. In toggling between modes there is always a small discrepancy but they each move. Another thing I’ve noticed is an annoying rattle seeming to come from the axle back. Anyone have luck solving this issue?

The problems of messing with an already beautiful system. It does sound fantastic though with borla
Sponsored