Accelerating and Suddenly Shudder Shudder Shudder :(

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Well guys and gals I got the final answer on what was wrong with my '22 GT California Special today when I picked it up from my dealership.

The problem was that the Power Control Module needed to be reprogrammed and there is a Technical Service Bulletin out on it.

I can tell y'all that it runs better than it did before and better than even my 2020 GT Premium 401a did. I had the perfect opportunity to pass a few people on the way home on a fairly straight stretch of 2 lane highway and it was like a friggin rocket launcher when I punched it.

Even with the ridiculous amount of throttle I applied trying to make it mess up on the way home it averaged 23.5mpg and that's waaaaaay better than it had before.

I'd say it's not only fixed but it's better than it has a right to be and I'm simply thrilled.

Nothing feels, looks or sounds like a Mustang GT and you'd have to spend a ridiculous amount of money to outrun it.
That’s great! What is the TSB # for the PCM reprogram?
Sponsored

OP
OP
LDHunter

LDHunter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Rapid Red 2022 GT Premium California Special 10sp
I have no idea and the service writer is not the type that would like that kind of question. He's not a very friendly guy. I'll try to ask him next week but I'm betting he won't want to be bothered.

Maybe someone else can dig it out.

I imagine that a lot of other Mustang GT's need this update too and I'm surprised that Ford doesn't send us the bulletins to have our PCM's updated since we get so many other notices and bulletins.

OP
OP
LDHunter

LDHunter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
A quick google found a list of TSB's. A couple that may apply to my Mustang are found below.
TSB SSM 51236.jpg

TSB SSM 51232.jpg

The google search I used was "2022 mustang gt tsb reprogram pcm" and the choice I selected was the first one and it came from an F150 Forum....

JTNWEvo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
I think this might be impacting my 2021 GT, twice now I've been cruising along and adding any throttle causes it to buck horribly but no check engine light or anything. I'd take it to the dealer dealer based on this TSB but I have a Whipple Stage 2 with the Whipple tune on it. Not sure what to do.

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Shuddering and lights flashing will happen when you're accelerating hard, with one wheel on a really lose surface and spinning, and the other with good traction and not.

When the wheel speed sensors on the 2 back wheels show dramatically different speeds, the car goes full retard and freaks out for a minute. Shuddering, steering wheel flopping around, lights flashing on the dash....total pandemonium.

Then it goes away. No harm.

Sponsored

Turbo Cow

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT
Following
My 2021 premium gt auto was doing the same thing the other day. Somewhere around 1500 to 2000 rpm, applying light throttle, it felt like it was downing a few cylinders. Any more throttle and it would go away but did seem pretty bad when happening.
I have a service appointment on the 17th. I'll ask if they can update my tcm and pcm, etc.

OP
OP
LDHunter

LDHunter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
OK... Further information on my issue that was fixed by my dealership Friday.

The error code was P0301

The Technical Service Bulletin was 222464

After several days of driving my fuel economy still overs at about 24mpg and I'm certainly a lead foot so the improvement in fuel economy was significant and my problem I had has not resurfaced.

Turbo Cow

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT

The error code was P0301

After several days of driving my fuel economy still overs at about 24mpg and I'm certainly a lead foot so the improvement in fuel economy was significant and my problem I had has not resurfaced.
I can't find anything about 222464 TSB. Can anyone else find this info? I'm wanting to let my service dude know about it but want to be exact.

OP
OP
LDHunter

LDHunter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
I can't find anything about 222464 TSB. Can anyone else find this info? I'm wanting to let my service dude know about it but want to be exact.
I'm certain I got the number right but it's possible my service writer gave me the wrong information.

SH!FT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT premium 6MT VB
Every once in a while my car has thrown a code, or stalled pulling up to a light, bucked and gone into limp mode or made a fierce popping noise at wot. (The last one usually only happened right after filling the tank and i only added that for you Joe) These things happened stock, tuned, and now boosted. After every instance I shut it off and fired it right back up and went about my way like nothing happened. Can't explain it but I also don't worry about it. 4 1/2 years later and 83k hard miles and she's still running like a champ. Not once has any of these things left me stranded.
See if the problem is relative to temperatures.

Mine will CEL and go into limp mode if I punch it after a hot start. Pretty sure vapor lock is causing my issue.

Sponsored

DandeeLioness

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dandee
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Premium

The error code was P0301

I’m definitely going to mention this when I take her in on the 22nd! Because I’m not a lead foot at all and really just enjoy cruising and I’m averaging about 19MPG.

To be honest, I’ve always felt like something was a little off, but this is my first Mustang and first powerful engine, so I just assumed the roughness of the down shifts (most notable in Sport but still feel it in Normal) was part of the “experience.”

So thanks for sharing this! I’ll update later if they tell me anything different or if this was also my issue. She hasn’t acted up since and no CEL or shuddering issues, but I’m curious about that Technical Service Bulletin info... 🤔

FinitePrimus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
Haven't had that happen yet, but I have have my 21GT do a loud exhaust pop at very high RPM that has me a little concerned.
My Active Exhaust does this all the time in track mode if I let off it at high rpm (like when you see a cop)

joe603

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium PP
My Active Exhaust does this all the time in track mode if I let off it at high rpm (like when you see a cop)
I would be fine with that...on my car, it doesn't do it when I let off, but when I keep on it close to redline.

DandeeLioness

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dandee
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Premium

The error code was P0301

I can also confirm that after taking B.B. into the dealership for service, this was the same issue causing the random misfire I experienced weeks ago! It’s definitely a known issue with 21-22 Mustangs, as the tech said they’d recently had a few come in with the same problem. All they needed to do was reprogram the PCM which took maybe 30 minutes?

He even provided me with some additional information I thought I’d share here for anyone experiencing random CEL issues or “cylinder misfire” alerts via FordPass:

188C89FF-A2DF-4E5C-A642-DF0216AD0C47.jpeg

I’ve definitely noticed an improvement in her responsiveness, honestly. Sport mode was always a little unpredictable at times. Now she moves when I tell her to move and there’s less buck in the downshifts, which feels great! I’m hoping this improves my MPG too but we’ll see. 🤞

nustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT, performance pak, active exhaust
daily Italian tuneup :)
runs great
Sponsored