Sponsored

A10 transmission: Any difference between S mode and S+ mode?

OutWest

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Old Person Special Mach 1
I haven't driven fast enough to make an opinion, but I wonder when you put the shifter to S, whether the transmission algorithm is the same as when you select S+. Maybe I should try an experiment on MyMode by putting the transmission in S, steering in sport, and exhaust in sport, and compare with S+mode. Anyone has an opinion?
Sponsored

dhborden

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 Chassis# M1869, Iconic Silver
Yes, there's a difference. My MyMode is the same as you describe and does not change the suspension. Sport+ changes the suspension and, if I understand it correctly, some of the programming for the throttle and transmission response. I use the MyMode settings for daily driver comfort and only go to Sport+ when I know the road will be kind enough for a stiffer suspension. MyMode plus shifter in S works assertive enough for daily local driving. I put it back in D for long highway stretches, unless traffic gets so I need the crisper response.

And what Ctodd1 just said!

Buldawg76

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Ecoboost, Rapid Red Premium
If you put shifter in S position and use paddle shift one time you must then shift the tranny manually thru the gears until you go back to D. If just placed in S without paddle shifting at all its a more aggressive shift and does not skip gears like it does in D.

S+ will still revert to auto shifting after a manual paddle shift is performed by driver after no more driver shifts are performed for a predetermined time.

BD

Sponsored

dhborden

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 Chassis# M1869, Iconic Silver
If you put shifter in S position and use paddle shift one time you must then shift the tranny manually thru the gears until you go back to D. If just placed in S without paddle shifting at all its a more aggressive shift and does not skip gears like it does in D.

S+ will still revert to auto shifting after a manual paddle shift is performed by driver after no more driver shifts are performed for a predetermined time.

BD
I believe there's also a long-hold trick with the paddles that will put it back in auto, but I don't recall the detail right now. Happy to hear from others who recall it.

Buldawg76

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
I believe there's also a long-hold trick with the paddles that will put it back in auto, but I don't recall the detail right now. Happy to hear from others who recall it.
I believe you are correct but don't recall the exact time frame, just easier to pop back to D for me anyway. Switching between D and S is more reflex for me than using paddles since grew up on manual trannies before we had paddles of any kind.

BD

Firsttexan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT500 '19 GT PP1 '13 GT500, 98 GT, 92 LX 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
I have been wondering if paddle extensions help to shift while turning or do they make it worse?

Vertex

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Devan
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 FJG HP
Yes, you only need to hold the upshift in for 2-3 seconds and it defaults back to automatic (D mode) shifting.

Last edited:

MLO 351

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
I have been wondering if paddle extensions help to shift while turning or do they make it worse?
The paddle extensions definitely make it easier to locate the shifters and select the next gear.
You can also select 2nd gear when stationary and take off in 2nd, this saves you from having to shift up a gear from the 1-2 shift mid corner.

Sponsored

Charlemagne

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Tempest 2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M3440
Vehicle Showcase
It seemed to me it shifts the same in Sport+ and S, the difference being exclusive paddle shifting in S if they are used once, while it reverts to automatic in Sport+ after a while. But gotta do more testing over season.

I see it as 3 combinations:
Normal + S = normal steering and suspension with responsive transmission, full manual paddle shifters control possible
Sport+ + D = responsive steering, firmer suspension and automatic responsive transmission
Sport+ + S = responsive steering, firmer suspension with responsive transmission, full manual paddle shifters control possible

VooDeeZy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Why they left off a suspension selection button on this car baffles me. I would really like to have sport suspension without sport + throttle mapping at times.
This exactly lol. I have a 21 mach 1 and an 18 m3. In the bmw you can change throttle response, suspension, and steering all independently. I could not believe this wasn't an option in the mach 1

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
The paddle extensions definitely make it easier to locate the shifters and select the next gear.
You can also select 2nd gear when stationary and take off in 2nd, this saves you from having to shift up a gear from the 1-2 shift mid corner.
Really? I've tried that and mine won't shift to 2nd until moving.

Buldawg76

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Really? I've tried that and mine won't shift to 2nd until moving.
Put shifter in S position and use paddles to shift to 2nd gear and it should start in 2nd. Does not work in D position.

BD
Sponsored