Advertisement

Difference between "Base and Handling Pkg models"

ColoradoGT

Long live V-8's!
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suv and car
Ford put out info from their Ford Media Center on Jun. 16th lots of info on the upcoming
Mach 1. Find it on the Ford.com web site. Look almost at the bottom and find a "Chart."
This chart shows and compares the Mustang GT, GT with PP, the Mach 1 and Mach 1 with
the Handling Package. Interesting when you look at the comparison between the 2 Mach 1 cars.
The "base" Mach 1 is quite a car. The interesting thing is that the "Handling Pkg" doesn't really
add that much to the base car. Certainly NOT like the difference between a GT and a PP1 pkg which
now costs almost $6K!! I'm betting the Handling Pack. will not be that much at all. I've been working
with my dealers Inventory ordering guy...who I know well, and the GM.
I have also been in contact with a Ford Mgr. over Mustangs, and their Information arm of Ford.
He confirmed to me that "Jet Fighter Gray" is available with either car. The "Appearance Pkg" is an
option on any color of a Mach 1. IF you have seen the pics of a Mach 1 without any stripes at all.....well,
you may agree...YUCK!! Just not a Mach 1 without the Appearance pkg. So, you could have a JFG car with the Appearance Pkg and an auto trans. Again, look at the chart and see the comparison. The "base" car is not so base. And it comes with the 6-speed Tremec or the 10 speed auto, with either the 3:73 Torsen rear gear (Tremec), or 3:55 Torsen (Auto). Also, the 10 speed trans has a different torque converter than the GT Mustang, and also remapping of the shift points etc. So, should be better overall. I have a '19 GT, 401A car with the Cal. Special pkg. Love it, but, will most likely get the Mach 1, in FJG with App. Pkg and auto trans. I'm #1 on the list to get one. My dealer is going to try and order one like I would want it, for the dealership, and IF I really love it I will buy it. GM
has to sign off on the build. He may want it to be a Hand. Pkg car, and IF so, I will then order the one I want for me, rather than for "Stock." Hope this helps.

Grintch

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Yeah, it looks the marketing folks created that chart.

From the preliminary info that has come out the handling pack is way more than just bigger wheels & tires and a bigger spoiler per this comparison.

It is more a PP2+ vs a PP1 type of deal. What I have heard...
Trans & diff coolers (not availible on standard car)
Lower & stiffer suspension
bigger spliter & different front facia
Magaride (not standard on standard car)

Not even sure if the standard Mach 1 gets the Tremec 6 speed.

Basicly the intent seems to be the Mach 1 handling pack will be a GT350 light, a step or two ahead of a PP2. And several steps ahead of a PP1 or Bullet. Course this is for a road course/track day type application.

ColoradoGT

Long live V-8's!
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suv and car

From the preliminary info that has come out the handling pack is way more than just bigger wheels & tires and a bigger spoiler per this comparison.

Basicly the intent seems to be the Mach 1 handling pack will be a GT350 light, a step or two ahead of a PP2. And several steps ahead of a PP1 or Bullet. Course this is for a road course/track day type application.
Yes, All Mach 1's get the Tremec and Magnaride. That's std. Again, if you compare the Hand.
Pkg with the Std car...not a whole lot of difference. That "so called Std car" has a LOT of stuff
once you dig in to it. Both Mach 1's have identical "cooling systems." Larger radiator, extra eng oil cooler, a trans cooler, and a rear diff cooler. Std on both.

So, now that you know what is real about the std car....you can see just how well done it is.
That leaves for the Hand. Pkg....wheels tires, front splitter is a little more, big spoiler, some susp.
tuning. Brakes are the same on both. Both have the Torsen rear end diff. Ratilo depends on auto or 6-speed. Front and rear stabilizer bars are same size. They both have extra brake cooling.

So, again, with all the facts known, that "base" are is not so base. They did a great job.

ColoradoGT

Long live V-8's!
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suv and car
I caught one mistake I made in my earlier post last Wed. IF you want Fighter Jet Gray, it only
comes with the Appearance Pkg. Can be had with either version of the Mach. So, that one pic
I saw with FJG without the AP must have been a "mule car?" But, Ford said...only with AP.
I guess, we'll all have to wait for the build sheets to arrive. should happen around the end of this
month. That is IF Mach 1's can be ordered on Oct. 12th like the rest of the Mustangs. I'm thinking
it can be done then. But, we'll soon see.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT

Even the base Mach 1 gets Magneride and the trans and diff cooler

The main differences really are the wheels/tires/front splitter/rear spoiler/solid v hollow rear stabilizer bar and unique tuning for the EPS/ESC for each model.

GUSTOPP2

Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Also don't forget IF you get the handling package factor in a new set of tires as the Cup2's will be DONE in no time. So add $1500ish for tires as well if you plan on driving it on a regular basis. With that said I agree. The base is pretty bad ass.

stangman09

Reaction score
First Name
Rafael Lupian
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
Do you guys think they will release the handling package with a auto? or are we better off trying to part order the spoiler and lip (from ford) for the "base" auto

Advertisement

jgilkey

Reaction score
Website
locusautomotive.com
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Ordered: 2021 Mach 1
Do you guys think they will release the handling package with a auto? or are we better off trying to part order the spoiler and lip (from ford) for the "base" auto
Everything I’ve read says the HP cars are only available with manual. But, a lot of people have been asking for it. Maybe they’ll make it available if enough people ask/complain like they did with PP cars.

stangman09

Reaction score
First Name
Rafael Lupian
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
Everything I’ve read says the HP cars are only available with manual. But, a lot of people have been asking for it. Maybe they’ll make it available if enough people ask/complain like they did with PP cars.
Hopefully, I would love to daily one with a auto, don't get me wrong but with a lot traffic and cars in my area I can't really drive a Manuel like how I want too..

jgilkey

Reaction score
Website
locusautomotive.com
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Hopefully, I would love to daily one with a auto, don't get me wrong but with a lot traffic and cars in my area I can't really drive a Manuel like how I want too..
I commute into Manhattan 1-2 days a week right now due to Covid. If I had to drive in daily, I would not get a manual car. Thankfully, I won't have to drive the Mach 1 in, so I'm happy with the manual. :)

stangman09

Reaction score
First Name
Rafael Lupian
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
I commute into Manhattan 1-2 days a week right now due to Covid. If I had to drive in daily, I would not get a manual car. Thankfully, I won't have to drive the Mach 1 in, so I'm happy with the manual. :)
Enjoy it! I am sure it will be a beast of a car, I gonna wait but will eventually put my order in hopefully!

ColoradoGT

Long live V-8's!
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suv and car
Also don't forget IF you get the handling package factor in a new set of tires as the Cup2's will be DONE in no time. So add $1500ish for tires as well if you plan on driving it on a regular basis. With that said I agree. The base is pretty bad ass.
True, but, THE BEST High Perf. All Season tires from Michelin don't cost that much at all through
Tire Rack.

jgilkey

Reaction score
Website
locusautomotive.com
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Enjoy it! I am sure it will be a beast of a car, I gonna wait but will eventually put my order in hopefully!
Thanks! I’m looking forward to it. The last Mustang I owned was a 2001 GT that I bought new and sold around 2006 because the kids wouldn’t fit in the back seat any more. Now that they’re grown and I don’t need the back seat as much, I’m looking forward to driving a Mustang again :)

ColoradoGT

Long live V-8's!
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suv and car
I was just talking about that with my wife. IF an Auto were to be avail. on the HP car, I would
order that one. IF not, then, I will look in to the cost and any mounting issues for the rear
spoiler. No front spoiler ext....too much. Base already has a nice one. Cost MAY be an issue
for the big rear spoiler.

Advertisement

Advertisement

63 - Late Model Restoration - 2
Advertisement