Can it be done and what is involved?

Discuss.
Sponsored

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Pretty sure it hasn't been done, nor have I even seen someone even attempt.

It would probably take an entire PCM/TCM upgrade as the Gen 2 stuff won't be able to control it. I know FP now sells a complete Gen 3 power pack, including the wiring, but not sure if it only works with the Gen 3 engine. I planned on asking them if the Gen 3 PCM can work with the Gen 2 engine so that you don't also have to swap engines.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
I chatted with a rep from FP about this and they do make a control pack for the 10R80 (M-6017-M50BA) but that only works with the Gen 3 engine. So at this point, it looks like you'd have to drop in the whole Gen 3 powertrain to be able to run the 10 speed in a 15-17 car, which they do sell as a complete kit (M-9000-PMCA3) or you can source the parts individually.

Not sure if all this work is necessarily worth it, unless you have a really tired engine or are starting fresh with a roller that needs a complete powertrain.

Performance nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
Honestly, I wouldn't separate the engine from the transmission. It would likely take some serious hacking to get the Gen2 to work with the 10R80 and to what end. Probably spend way more money and time trying to figure out how to make it work than if you went with the proven method. Then again, if someone invested a ton in their Gen2 engine, I can see wanting to find a way.

OP
OP
Strokerswild

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
I chatted with a rep from FP about this and they do make a control pack for the 10R80 (M-6017-M50BA) but that only works with the Gen 3 engine. So at this point, it looks like you'd have to drop in the whole Gen 3 powertrain to be able to run the 10 speed in a 15-17 car, which they do sell as a complete kit (M-9000-PMCA3) or you can source the parts individually.

Not sure if all this work is necessarily worth it, unless you have a really tired engine or are starting fresh with a roller that needs a complete powertrain.
No bueno.

What I was daydreaming about first and foremost was a Predator/A10 swap, as rumor has it the Predator is an easy swap electrically in a Gen2 car. Leave it to late model tech to poop all over the potential awesomeness....

Sponsored

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
No bueno.

What I was daydreaming about first and foremost was a Predator/A10 swap, as rumor has it the Predator is an easy swap electrically in a Gen2 car. Leave it to late model tech to poop all over the potential awesomeness....
Maybe then your goal should be more in lines with a Predator/DCT swap into a 15-17, as it seems that engine is more closely related to the Gen 2 rather than the Gen 3. Hoping FP makes a control pack for that trans eventually.

OP
OP
Strokerswild

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
I'd rather do the A10 in that scenario, much less expensive in the event of carnage.

zero_chance

Dismember
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JD
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium w/ Performance Pack
US shift is working on a controller for it and infrequently updates their site about it. They originally intended to beta test it middle of last year when queried at the end of 18. Not much for progress updates since late last year.
Sponsored