Sponsored

A10 fill plug impossible to remove, help plz

Lo Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Take me home
Vehicle(s)
86 GT, red; 88 LX 5.0, black; 95 GT black; 99 Cobra with mods (still own); ‘16 GT, PP, manual, Ruby, drivetrain vibration!; Traded for ‘19 GT, A10, velocity blue, love it.
There’s a video somewhere that shows someone removing the dipstick cap, and they turn it “counter clockwise”, which if viewed from the top it would look like you were tightening it. From your picture, do you try to rotate it right or left? I.e. is it reverse threaded?

I tried doing it tonight and there’s no way to do it from underneath the vehicle
Sponsored

OP
OP
speedup

speedup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 triple black GT convertible
It's not reverse threaded, was just on there SUPER tight. It is impossible to check unless you have it on a lift. I have a low rise lift at home for oil changes and basic maintenance.

It's a PITA to check, IMO you will need a few things:

19mm socket with swivel head
A heavy leather glove, because the cat is so hot
A good fluid pump that fits the Mercon bottle
And, of course, a bottle of mercon ulv fluid

I checked the fluid level with car running and at ambient temps (cold check), and it didnt even show up on the stick. I then drove it around and the hottest it ever registered was like 195, I checked it then found it was a half quart low.

After I added the fluid it seemed to shift better and smoother over all. It's worth checking - good luck!

Lo Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Take me home
Vehicle(s)
86 GT, red; 88 LX 5.0, black; 95 GT black; 99 Cobra with mods (still own); ‘16 GT, PP, manual, Ruby, drivetrain vibration!; Traded for ‘19 GT, A10, velocity blue, love it.
I went in from the top. Back passenger corner of the engine compartment downward . I had to use about 2 1/2 feet worth of extensions, a ½” drive six point Flex socket, a universal adapter on top of that, and it probably took 70 or 80 foot pounds of torque to get that thing broken loose. And it let loose with a bang.

Added 1 quart, it was below B on dipstick.

note, I did the dipstick removal with the car on a lift, but had to go in from above. Fluid addition and checking was done from beneath. Used a siphon hose....very, very messy.

Last edited:

Keeffa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
keith
Vehicle(s)
ford mustang 2018 gt
thats a pretty nice find! and probably very recent also, as it incorporates SSM 48674, which you just posted about, only a month ago.

and just to recap for everyone.. a full 10r80 transmission should read "A" on the "A and B lettered dipstick", and it should read between 4-5 on a "1-6 numbered dipstick".

edit: i just noticed that in the PDF footers it says "june 2020 tech talk"... i knew it, you're from the future! :crackup: :surprised:
I must admit this has worried me. I've just changed my trans fluid and have watched a few videos on youtube giving different info, but i guess the difference is Mustang to Ranger. I did see a guy who was a ford tech say you can set the fluid cold. so for Mustang fill to the B area then when it heats up it will be in the A area. does make it a bit easier. I removed 6 litres of fluid but on refill i put 7.75 in it I did check it hot and it was below the B area. To check with engine running the cat was still very hot so I got some wire and taped it to the top of the dipstick and bent it to suit to be able to dip it when running. work out good.
The info you guys put up here is priceless. Thanks guys your a blessing.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
@speedup

First, thank you for posting a picture of your 10R80 dipstick!! I’m am now wondering if there has been a production change to the actual dipstick being used, because it’s surely different from the prior 2018 Shop Manual images posted.

Second, I have linked your thread into the first page of the “10R80 Facts thread”, as this will definitely help other owners in the future who are trying to check their fluid levels.

Third, yes @leonrudi was the first to confirm that his 10R80 dipstick did not have the “A-B” readings, but the numeric readings as yours. He also confirms that after adding fluid to the 3-4 mark his transmission shifted better.

—-

I’m really surprised (still) that S550 10R80’s are being installed and fluid levels are obviously not being checked prior to the car leaving the assembly line. How can a transmission have almost no fluid in it and being allowed to “pass” QC inspections???

Is it because no one wants to check the dipstick due to its really poor design and location?

Is it a Vendor/Supplier issue where these transmissions are not being filled to capacity prior to being shipped to Ford for installation??

I certainly don’t get it - it would be like sending an S550 off the assembly line with no oil in the engine...

C’mon now Ford... nearly 3 years into the 10R80 being in the S550 and transmissions still leaving the plant with almost no fluid???
Could it be the torque conveter is not charged going installed dry ?

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Could it be the torque conveter is not charged going installed dry ?
That is a possibility too… not sure though, but there’s been quite a few 10R80 owners finding low fluid levels on brand new S550’s since 2018… so it’s not just early build S550 10R80’s that are affected.

It could be torque converter installed dry or these units are not being checked “hot” at final inspection once the car is fully assembled and running. Maybe they’re not even checked at all and just installed as delivered to Ford from the supplier…

Rubyred20

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Gt automatic
My A10 shifts harsh, and its whiney. With all the threads about the fluid being low from factory, I picked up a couple quarts of the Mercon ULV ATF and decided to try and check mine.

I see the fill plug, and using a flexhead ratchet, am able to get my 19mm socket on it. The problem is, it is on there so tight it won't budge, I feel like I am going to strip something.

After trying a while, and getting pissed off, I put my handle from the floor jack on it to really get some leverage, and it still would not budge lol.. before I tried harder decided to ask the mustang6 experts

Something is up, is it reverse threaded?

I uploaded a couple pics. The plug is in an awful spot, I only ran the car a couple minutes and the exhaust pipe was super hot. My thinking was to loosen it and then run it to full operating temp, then it would be easier to check... right

a10_plug.jpg
a10_bar.jpg
Hey, I know this is an old thread but how did you end up getting the full plug loose? I’m having the same problem. Did you get it lose with the flex head and socket? Thanks.

Keeffa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
keith
Vehicle(s)
ford mustang 2018 gt
Hey, I know this is an old thread but how did you end up getting the full plug loose? I’m having the same problem. Did you get it lose with the flex head and socket? Thanks.
I used a 19 mm ring spanner and i bent it in the middle so it came down under the cat then used a big ring spanner hooked on to the open end of the bent 19mm spanner to get some leverage. When you put it back on you dont need to make it that tight.

Firsttexan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT500 '19 GT PP1 '13 GT500, 98 GT, 92 LX 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
That is a possibility too… not sure though, but there’s been quite a few 10R80 owners finding low fluid levels on brand new S550’s since 2018… so it’s not just early build S550 10R80’s that are affected.

It could be torque converter installed dry or these units are not being checked “hot” at final inspection once the car is fully assembled and running. Maybe they’re not even checked at all and just installed as delivered to Ford from the supplier…
I guess Ford has trouble checking it too. They need a re-fill tube and dipstick solution for the engine compartment. Maybe an aftermarket solution?

Keeffa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
keith
Vehicle(s)
ford mustang 2018 gt
I guess Ford has trouble checking it too. They need a re-fill tube and dipstick solution for the engine compartment. Maybe an aftermarket solution?
Yup, I'm working on that. I've got a fitting which is a metric to imperial adaptor.
20mm to AN8 flared, I'm using 1/2 inch copper pipe for tube and I have to find a dip stick long enough to do the job.

Sponsored

Brokestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang gt
Yup, I'm working on that. I've got a fitting which is a metric to imperial adaptor.
20mm to AN8 flared, I'm using 1/2 inch copper pipe for tube and I have to find a dip stick long enough to do the job.
Please show your finished product with pictures & parts list!!!!

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
Is there a recommended cold level as opposed to an operating temp level? It sure would be a hell of a lot easier to get the reading that way.
It seems like every automatic car on which I've changed ATF, is to be checked when hot. Not sure why, other than the level does go up when hot. Might be because overfilling is not good for it. If necessary, start on the low side and bring it up. It's better to be a little low than a little over full.

Brokestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang gt
It seems like every automatic car on which I've changed ATF, is to be checked when hot. Not sure why, other than the level does go up when hot. Might be because overfilling is not good for it. If necessary, start on the low side and bring it up. It's better to be a little low than a little over full.
But if someone who has checked their fluid level hot & knows it is full were to check it cold after setting overnight & let us know what the cold level is would help stop some from getting burned on the exhaust!

luca1290

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luca
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Mercedes A250 4Matic (W177)
Ok guys, really, how do you get the sucker loose?
I have a QuickJack but really I can't get it loose. There is no space there to check and I'm also afraid the EU version has bigger cats (because of the GPF) because there is ZERO space to work around it.
I read someone got it loose from the top but also there I can't see a way in.

Do you think something like that can help reach it? I tried with a spanner to no avail, also because you can't turn or prolong it.
I read (and felt) it's very hard. I don't know if that can take the load.
Chiavi combinate a cricchetto snodate 285 KF, Catalogo utensili professionali USAG

Or really, the last hope: Assortimento in cassetta di lamiera con chiavi a zampa di gallo (13 pz) 612 3/8 S13, Catalogo utensili professionali USAG

What do you guys recommend?

Keeffa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
keith
Vehicle(s)
ford mustang 2018 gt
Ok guys, really, how do you get the sucker loose?
I have a QuickJack but really I can't get it loose. There is no space there to check and I'm also afraid the EU version has bigger cats (because of the GPF) because there is ZERO space to work around it.
I read someone got it loose from the top but also there I can't see a way in.

Do you think something like that can help reach it? I tried with a spanner to no avail, also because you can't turn or prolong it.
I read (and felt) it's very hard. I don't know if that can take the load.
Chiavi combinate a cricchetto snodate 285 KF, Catalogo utensili professionali USAG

Or really, the last hope: Assortimento in cassetta di lamiera con chiavi a zampa di gallo (13 pz) 612 3/8 S13, Catalogo utensili professionali USAG

What do you guys recommend?
I used a ring spanner bent it in the middle so it came down under the cat and used a bigger ring spanner hooked onto the open end for leverage.
Sponsored