A/C tips

andyturbo2000

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Convertible
Having my evap core replaced on warranty at the moment. Does anyone know the differences between the 2016 evap cores and the supposedly improved replacement. Also, I'm keen to keep this one tip top as it's a huge job to replace the core...any tips on operating and looking after a A/C system?
Sponsored

raptor17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Manual 2017
bummer on replacement job but at least you are not paying for it. I try use the a/c at least once a month though to be fair when it rains I have to use the aircon to keep the windscreen clear.

I did ask a while back about folks fitting radiator guards to the grills to protect the a/c cooler but no one does this which is very odd considering the a/c radiator is getting peppered by debris every journey and mine is showing signs of damage - not un-common for grills that are pretty open

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
I did ask a while back about folks fitting radiator guards to the grills to protect the a/c cooler but no one does this which is very odd considering the a/c radiator is getting peppered by debris every journey and mine is showing signs of damage - not un-common for grills that are pretty open
This is why everyone should fit a massive intercooler right in front of it for "protection"

raptor17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Manual 2017
This is why everyone should fit a massive intercooler right in front of it for "protection"
haha yes but that brings it's own problems not to mention considerable cost. Intercoolers need protection too :giggle:

Entai

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT kona Blue, A10, Magneride, CP 2. Daily Driver
My A/C button is on 24/7 all year round.
In all cars I have ever had with it, it gets switched on the first time I drive it and stays on forever more.
Absolutely zero point in ever turning it off.

Sponsored

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
In all cars I have ever had with it, it gets switched on the first time I drive it and stays on forever more.
This is my way of thinking too - nine years on in my Kia and its still icy cold and it's had zero maintenance.

Lets hope A) I've not jinxed it and B) the mustang is as reliable ... lol

WD :like:

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
Exactly this. Press 'Auto' when you first buy the car and never touch it again !

Bullitt66

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
can I ask how on earth you got Ford to
A) admit there was a problem
B) cover it under warranty on a 2016 car

This was one of the biggest deal breakers I had with my ford dealer.
Coolant is not covered under warranty and they were too incompetent to put tracer dye in the system even when I asked them too.

Ref maintenance of the system, as long as it’s switched on every few weeks that should keep the seals good and the compressor moving, but as stated above I just leave mine on

OP
OP
andyturbo2000

andyturbo2000

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
Ford were bang to rights. Gold protect warranty I bought with the car says “Air Conditioning” is a covered item. They regassed and it leaked, took back a month later they regassed with nitrogen to find the leak, obviously it’s the evap core.

Bullitt66

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Ford were bang to rights. Gold protect warranty I bought with the car
Ah ok, fair play. Glad to hear it was sorted for you.

I tend to avoid additional warranties as often there’s so many things excluded, especially consequential
damage.

I wouldn’t say these cars are weak but at 4 years old, like any other car, they start to need regular maintenance parts like brakes, bearings etc and the nagging doubts about the bigger costly jobs like the AC evap and oil coolers are there, unless they were previously replaced under manufactures warranty.

I’ve got a sticking rear brake caliper to fix on mine this weekend. Probably the down side of lack of use during the lockdown... maybe I should have bought that warranty:)

OP
OP
andyturbo2000

andyturbo2000

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
Ah ok, fair play. Glad to hear it was sorted for you.

I tend to avoid additional warranties as often there’s so many things excluded, especially consequential
damage.

I wouldn’t say these cars are weak but at 4 years old, like any other car, they start to need regular maintenance parts like brakes, bearings etc and the nagging doubts about the bigger costly jobs like the AC evap and oil coolers are there, unless they were previously replaced under manufactures warranty.

I’ve got a sticking rear brake caliper to fix on mine this weekend. Probably the down side of lack of use during the lockdown... maybe I should have bought that warranty:)
I’ve had the sticking rear caliper done on warranty, the total cost plus new discs because of damage exceeded the warranty by about £150. Some warranties are pants (I’m looking at you, Audi used approved), however the Ford one has been superb.

ive had in 6 months ownership:

new bonnet
New bootlid
Reverse camera
Puddle light
Air con
Caliper
Rear discs and pads
Brake fluid
Sponsored