Sponsored

60-130mph times for boosted cars

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
^Definitely could improve that time with a no lift shift but you may have to buy a t56 magnum after lol.

My best so far is 5.14 , heres a video of 5.16 and some other attempts. I really want to get a 4.99.

10r80 whipple e85 3.875 pulley full weight.

Sponsored

TRP45ACP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium Coupe, PP1, MT82, 401A
^Definitely could improve that time with a no lift shift but you may have to buy a t56 magnum after lol.

My best so far is 5.14 , heres a video of 5.16 and some other attempts. I really want to get a 4.99.

10r80 whipple e85 3.875 pulley full weight.

That is fantastic. If I were to do it again, I may purchase the auto. No substitute for all the gears and immediate shifts. Your car is really moving. No loss of boost.

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not sure this is really accurate. How did they come up with these numbers? Not trying to start anything I’m just really curious.
When I was NA I ran 8.91 as my best 60-130 with 124.57 trap speed for the 1/4 mile that came from that run. Thats dead on according to that chart. Haven't successfully tried a 1/4 mile boosted yet though.

TRP45ACP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium Coupe, PP1, MT82, 401A
I’m sure you could get into the 5s, but like you said you’d have to no lift shift or really bang the gears. I’ve picked up over 3 tenths of a second using NLS. Granted that was a different platform, but similar results I’m sure.
To be clear, you are leaving the throttle wide open (banging of the rev limiter) and then grabbing the next gear, correct? Is that the NLS in essence?

Sponsored

PowerDemon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Colby
Vehicle(s)
Mk7 VW GTI
To be clear, you are leaving the throttle wide open (banging of the rev limiter) and then grabbing the next gear, correct? Is that the NLS in essence?
Not sure about the Mustang but on the platform I was on they could set up a “soft” rev limiter at the rpm you wanted to shift at. So essentially there was no rpm spike and then slam into gear like there is without a tune. It was pretty slick.

I think just flat foot shifting without a tune or anything is called power shifting?

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Not sure about the Mustang but on the platform I was on they could set up a “soft” rev limiter at the rpm you wanted to shift at. So essentially there was no rpm spike and then slam into gear like there is without a tune. It was pretty slick.

I think just flat foot shifting without a tune or anything is called power shifting?
I'm not sure that's any differently than just shifting quickly. The whole idea is to reduce the rpm loss during the clutch engagement, but whether it's your feet that do the management or the computer, limiting the rpm climb (akin to slighly easing off the accelerator in conjunction with the clutch engagement) is part of the shift process.

PowerDemon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Colby
Vehicle(s)
Mk7 VW GTI
I'm not sure that's any differently than just shifting quickly. The whole idea is to reduce the rpm loss during the clutch engagement, but whether it's your feet that do the management or the computer, limiting the rpm climb (akin to slighly easing off the accelerator in conjunction with the clutch engagement) is part of the shift process.
I understand where you’re coming from, but the point of the soft rev limiter is that the throttle can stay wide open when you shift. Because of this it also maintains boost better during the shift as a result. This is a really nice feature on turbo cars.

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
I understand where you’re coming from, but the point of the soft rev limiter is that the throttle can stay wide open when you shift. Because of this it also maintains boost better during the shift as a result. This is a really nice feature on turbo cars.
If there's air going into the motor, it has to do something with it
Unless you're running a MOTEC or something more sophisticated, I'm not sure there's such a thing as a "soft" rev limiter. It's very hard (harmonically) on the motor, if the throttle is open and the motor has to now sandbag cylinders to keep the rpm from climbing. The herky jerky result is one of the culprits that tends to beat on things like gerotor oil pump gears. Given that it would be on every shift, you're talking about potentially tens of thousands of bad vibrations of the rotating components over the life of the motor.

If you watch one of the vids by Mustanglifestyle and Real Street, the guy does a wonderful explanation of the differences that MOTEC can bring to bear with limiting power (vs the harsh capabilities of the Ford ECU). Motec can nearly instantly cut timing, then if that's not enough it can manipulate the throttle blade and if that's still not enough, it can go to cutting cylinders, which is what the Ford ECU does and why it's so harsh, it just jumps straight to shutting down things (ostensibly to protect the motor from catastrophic over-rev).

Sponsored

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
@Angrey there are ways to implement timing and throttle rev limiters in the stock Ford pcm. I just programmed one last week. You just have to get creative and I’m not sure most mainstream tuners do it.

For a turbo setup I think drastic timing retard just above the shift point would he best because airflow would stay high and egt would increase. Otherwise I’d probably go with the throttle.

Now that I think of it, I think the stock limiter is set up with a “soft” limiter before the fuel cut steps in. I have seen aftermarket tunes where they increase the soft limiter but neglect to raise the hard limiter, which can result in the violence we’ve heard about or seen.

Platinum_5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2021 10R Whipple
I've always had a "soft" limiter in my car since my Whipple was on. I would shift the car at 8000 at the track so the limiter was set at 8200. If I hit it then the car would just completely lay over. No violence, no drama, nothing.

RoadCone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Competition Orange PP
I will have to try my dragy out so I can join the conversation.
Dont exactly know what my 60-130 is but do 0-141 in 5.1 seconds. So lets say by 60 ft. I'm doing 60mph..... 1.3 seconds, That would estimate my 60-141 in less that 3.8 seconds... so WhippleFTW

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I will have to try my dragy out so I can join the conversation.
Dont exactly know what my 60-130 is but do 0-141 in 5.1 seconds. So lets say by 60 ft. I'm doing 60mph..... 1.3 seconds, That would estimate my 60-141 in less that 3.8 seconds... so WhippleFTW
Probably not going to be possible on the street to get into the 3's I would highly suspect. But yea on the strip youre probably easily in there.
Sponsored