5.0 Mileage

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeyw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Merc C Class
Wtf? The mileage went DOWN? Reminds me of "can keep my doctor, can keep my health care plan"......
LOL. Must be to get that extra 5-10hp gain <g>
Well I suppose if they did nothing with the engine it would have gone down more (with the increased weight) and had no more power. It's based on quite old tech, maybe that's all it can do.
Sponsored

planedoc

Planedoc
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium, DIB, PP
I wouldn't be so disappointed if they hadn't said it was going up!

Spartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Sport
I wouldn't be so disappointed if they hadn't said it was going up!
See Divine...someone else "gets it also" :D

That's mine point and Divine's point. We're disappointed because they said it was GOING UP.

Im sure one day they are going to do what the Corvette did and make a 4 cylinder mode in the V8. Problem is that is years away.

I don't see a V8 update for at least 2 years.

planedoc

Planedoc
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium, DIB, PP
I will never buy a MDS system engine. I hate the way they feel when running on four. The fact that ford doesn't have it yet is the reason I am buying it!

Brent302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
I will never buy a MDS system engine. I hate the way they feel when running on four. The fact that ford doesn't have it yet is the reason I am buying it!
To add to this the 6.4 and 5.7 Autos with MDS get lower mileage than the Manual non mds from Dodge lol. Its such a useless tech on heavy V8s

Sponsored

Seabee1973

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium/PP and 2006 F150 FX4
To add to this the 6.4 and 5.7 Autos with MDS get lower mileage than the Manual non mds from Dodge lol. Its such a useless tech on heavy V8s
Some one explain Ford's start/stop technology in regards to fuel economy [emoji6]

ChefBorOzzy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
You're absolutely wrong! The mpg rating with MDS is NOT lower. If you're going to say it is, show proof. It's not that hard to find MPG for 2015 Challenger.. Or older ones.

Tim Hilliard

Happy Owner
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Guard 300A PP Recaro
You're absolutely wrong! The mpg rating with MDS is NOT lower. If you're going to say it is, show proof. It's not that hard to find MPG for 2015 Challenger.. Or older ones.
Well 2014 doesn't appear to make any improvement :shrug: 1-2MPG HWY. I have to agree with Brent it doesn't help on a heavy car and doesn't seem to help on when trying to push a huge box through the air on the HWY.

The 2015 Challenger shows an improvement due to the 8 speed auto, sleeker lines, not MDS. It's still nothing to write home about.

Camaro and Challenger all have models with less power that don't have Gas Guzzler tax. Camaro base 6.2 still get's less MPG than the disappointing '15 Mustang PIG, which has more power.

But my judgement is completely clouded by my 'fan boy' status and I have no facts to back up my 'claims'

I actually watched the youtube video when the Ford Engineer stated the fuel economy will be improved...sorry he wasn't inaccurate. He's an engineer and has no say in what the Legal/Marketing department decides to put on that sticker. We have a car with more power and exactly the same mileage as the outgoing model (give or take 1 MPG). That is improved fuel economy, you can't tell me I'm grasping at strays when I say he doesn't say the numbers on the sticker will go up and then hold him to it because the numbers on the sticker didn't go up. If we still taught 6th grade level science in this country we wouldn't be struggling with this topic. OBVIOUSLY the fuel economy improved because the new car burns more fuel to make more power but the ratings didn't move. It's not that complicated.
Challenger EPA.jpg
Challenger MPG.jpg
Camaro MPG.jpg

ChefBorOzzy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
That's a 2 mpg difference... Not sure why someone would expect for it to go into 4 cylinder mode often during city driving. I think it's mostly beneficial during Highway driving.

Those 5 speed autos were so behind the times and worse than 6 speed manual.

MDS obviously helps, I'm not sure how many extra mpg on the highway you guys expect. You guys know that manufacturers put in start/stop for one extra mpg EPA rating, right?

Tim Hilliard

Happy Owner
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Guard 300A PP Recaro
That's a 2 mpg difference... Not sure why someone would expect for it to go into 4 cylinder mode often during city driving. I think it's mostly beneficial during Highway driving.

Those 5 speed autos were so behind the times and worse than 6 speed manual.

MDS obviously helps, I'm not sure how many extra mpg on the highway you guys expect. You guys know that manufacturers put in start/stop for one extra mpg EPA rating, right?
The auto is the only one that improved, by 1MPG over the old 5 speed auto, in the City and factually the auto's had better MPG over the manuals. Your statement has very little accurate information in it :shrug:

The SRT auto improved by 1/2MPG Cty/Hwy with the 8 speed auto...all the Manuals stayed exactly the same.

Sponsored

Tim Hilliard

Happy Owner
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Guard 300A PP Recaro
Now the 2015 GT Manual lost 1MPG HWY with more power ?
The 2015 GT Auto lost 2 MPG City which also effects Combined by one point.

I think this has more to do with history and testing, maybe it's why the 8 speed in the Challenger is not that much of an improvement? 3 more gears added and minimal improvement.

I never understood how the auto GT had such better mileage in the city loop, where they just leaving the manual GT in first gear for the City test LOL?

'15 GT powertrain is essentially a carry-over minus the power boost, the ratios have not changed that I could tell. I also think Ford lowered their manufacturing costs because all the auto's have exactly the same ratio's in it which is obviously not optimized to the engines. A V8 curve is much different than a 4 or six and I think the auto is optimized for the 4, the volume powertrain.

Now I have to go look up '14 ratio's to compare to '15. Edit: The ratio's for the auto are the same so :shrug:
Mustang 2014 MPG.jpg

ChefBorOzzy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
2 MPG over a car that gets 23 MPG is not enough of a percentage increase?

MDS obviously does help, especially if you look at the MPG ratings of the 2014 R/T auto vs manual. There is no way that auto would be more efficient than the manual if the auto didn't have MDS.

I bet the SRT auto for 2014 would not have achieved 23 MPG without MDS, which would have made it lower than the manual transmission EPA rating. It's understandable that the manual transmission cars stayed exactly the same, nothing changed with them from 2014 to 2015 and they don't have MDS.

I agree that the 8 speed auto helps, but so does MDS.

Tim Hilliard

Happy Owner
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Guard 300A PP Recaro
And Ford has yet to release official numbers, the EPA does not have them and Fords website does not list them. Window stickers are all we have, not very final although I think they will be accurate.

Tim Hilliard

Happy Owner
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Guard 300A PP Recaro
2 MPG over a car that gets 23 MPG is not enough of a percentage increase?

MDS obviously does help, especially if you look at the MPG ratings of the 2014 R/T auto vs manual. There is no way that auto would be more efficient than the manual if the auto didn't have MDS.

I bet the SRT auto for 2014 would not have achieved 23 MPG without MDS, which would have made it lower than the manual transmission EPA rating. It's understandable that the manual transmission cars stayed exactly the same, nothing changed with them from 2014 to 2015 and they don't have MDS.

I agree that the 8 speed auto helps, but so does MDS.
Auto's have a 3.06 Axle Ratio and Manuals have 3.91 I believe...HWY mileage might be affected no?

ChefBorOzzy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Auto's have a 3.06 Axle Ratio and Manuals have 3.91 I believe...HWY mileage might be affected no?
This is for 2014 or earlier and based on responses on ChallengerTalk. Manual is turning at 1600 RPM at 70 mph.. Auto is at 2050 or so.. I'm guessing that if the auto didn't have MDS, it would be less efficient than the manual at freeway speeds.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.