Sponsored

5.0 Coyote vs LS3/LT1 GM engines - how do they compare?

MotorJoe

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DIB S550 GT Auto
Higher revving engines are more enjoyable for open road and track driving. Torquier engines are more enjoyable for city everyday driving, IMO.

The Coyote certainly is very good for both applications.
Sponsored

paul123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GT
The LT1 power curve does look better. I still don't see many 2016 Camaro 6.2L on dealer lots, and those that are are priced more like Challenger 6.4L

Mustang 5.0 is available at a much lower price point than either of those.

I haven't sat in a 2016 Camaro, but its roof line appears clipped, and the specs indicate the height is 2" less. I am a tall, and I barely fit in the Mustang. Maybe Camaro is designed more for the ladies? :shrug:

:lol:

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Carroll Shelbys Soul Lives Under My GT350 Hood
The LT1 power curve does look better. I still don't see many 2016 Camaro 6.2L on dealer lots, and those that are are priced more like Challenger 6.4L

Mustang 5.0 is available at a much lower price point than either of those.

I haven't sat in a 2016 Camaro, but its roof line appears clipped, and the specs indicate the height is 2" less. I am a tall, and I barely fit in the Mustang. Maybe Camaro is designed more for the ladies? :shrug:

:lol:
Yep the Camaro is a ladies car :lol:

5ABI VT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
But thanks for teaching me that the engine that revs higher is better!
Lol I couldn't resist the temptation to want to do that :) I will say this though : it's purely subjective and one major reason I love rpm is sound. I'm a fan of f1 and the old v10s (and the 12s) and loved wringing the neck out of my 600/750s far more than the bigger litrebikes.

The second is because the foundation is just far better. it's heavier sure, but having 4 cams and 4 valves = more airflow no way around that. It's a lighter and more stable valve train especially for higher revs.

Having said that you are correct in your comparison of a pushrod vs a dohc with gearing vs rpm etc. no argument there. If anything for a street car the pushrod liking the low Rpms (because of the limitations of a single cam having to make power, and pass emissions) is better because you get better fuel economy.

I will say that the LT1 is a better engine for anyone that just cares about out of the box performance. No care for sound (not that the lt1 sounds bad) or high rpm feel .. It wins. More torque and hp everywhere, better fuel economy and its lighter and much more compact. Win win win win as far as I see it. I still choose the coyote though. It revs higher and is smoother and I prefer the sound of the dohc screaming at 8000rpms !

Higgs Boson

Detonation Denotation
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 GT350R
I will say that the LT1 is a better engine for anyone that just cares about out of the box performance.
except that the LT1 responds WAY better to mods than the Coyote.....so not just for "out of the box performance..."

if you want to do full bolt ons, heads/cam style mods the LS and LT are going to crush the Coyote. Maybe if you spend 15-20k on a full NA build the Coyote will start to shine......but if you do a full build on both plus boost, then it's anyone's game again.

I would say for the under 10K in naturally aspirated engine mods crowd, the LS/LT is the way to go. over 10K, Coyote. boost, either one.

Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Higher revving engines are more enjoyable for open road and track driving. Torquier engines are more enjoyable for city everyday driving, IMO.

The Coyote certainly is very good for both applications.
+1 ... the Coyote makes quite a bit of torque for being a high revving relatively small displacement V8.

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
except that the LT1 responds WAY better to mods than the Coyote.....so not just for "out of the box performance..."

if you want to do full bolt ons, heads/cam style mods the LS and LT are going to crush the Coyote. Maybe if you spend 15-20k on a full NA build the Coyote will start to shine......but if you do a full build on both plus boost, then it's anyone's game again.

I would say for the under 10K in naturally aspirated engine mods crowd, the LS/LT is the way to go. over 10K, Coyote. boost, either one.
Can you explain to me how a direct injection chevy engine is going to make well over 1000whp without a nitrous? You do also know the coyote with a tt has gone faster on a stock engine then a Viper or vette with the same done. Boost for boost on stock engines lt or ls are not playing the same sport as coyotes. Full build vs full build lt engines are not going as fast as coyotes that i have seen anywhere. :confused:

Im not saying the coyote is some clear best winner for all but compared to the coyote the lt is not the best choice for hauling ass in nicely into the single digits.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
The LT1 power curve does look better.
Due to it's larger displacement which makes more torque, and therefore more HP at all RPM up to it's redline (since HP = T x RPM/5252).

Only time a smaller displacement engine can make more HP is for it to have a higher redline, which will carry the peak HP beyond a larger displacement, higher torque, but lower revving engine.

And of course I'm taking NA engines here, not FI.

When you look at the peak torque numbers and engine displacement, it shows that the Coyote is actually making more peak torque per displacement than the LT1. Pretty impressive really when you consider the LT1 has a larger bore and is direct injection, which all helps to produce more torque output. If the Coyote was the same displacement as the LT1, it would be a monster.

LT1: 455 ft-lbs @ 6000 RPM. Displacement = 6.162L. TQ/L = 73.8 ft-lbs.

Coyote: 400 ft-lbs @ 6500 RPM. Displacement = 4.951L. TQ/L = 80.8 ft-lbs.

Last edited:

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
Wait till the Chevy boys find out how much a "real cam swap" is going to cost on a LT1..

To see gains more than about 30WHP you're going to have to delete AFM. Most cam and install parts packages run about $950. Add in $350 for a AFM delete kit and another $2,700+ for labor to install and tune...

You're going to be looking at about $4,000 for a cam swap.

And they talk shit about Coyote cam swaps being expensive.

Khell86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang Gt

Where are you getting your information for the LT1 responding way better to mods from? What are intake/tune/exhaust LT1's running in the 1/4?

Sponsored

5ABI VT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT

Indeed you are correct given its large displacement advantage the LT1 will see far better gains. Changing the cam etc comes at a price and is the reason I don't like the pushrod architecture. There is a compromise that has to be made. Bigger the cam,.. shittier the low end and shittier the idle and fuel economy. One cam can only do so much. Its a limitation of using a single cam and having heads that flow well for lower engine speeds. Open up those heads to flow more at higher rpm and you lose low end response and all of the above previously mentioned. Then again The displacement sure makes up for a lot.

My only hope is one day Ford will build a 6.2L that spins 8300 rpm. Id like to see the pushrod fan boys when a ford motor makes 650 hp na :lol:Idles smooth and passes emissions.

5ABI VT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
Where are you getting your information for the LT1 responding way better to mods from? What are intake/tune/exhaust LT1's running in the 1/4?
LT1 is 6.2L. Its pretty much a fact that it will gain a ton with nice longtubes. Probably in the realm of 20-30hp and torque or more. The coyote by comparison will pick up what.. 6-12 rwhp from what Ive seen? :shrug:

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
LT1 is 6.2L. Its pretty much a fact that it will gain a ton with nice longtubes. Probably in the realm of 20-30hp and torque or more. The coyote by comparison will pick up what.. 6-12 rwhp from what Ive seen? :shrug:
About 25whp with a tune

paul123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GT
... When you look at the peak torque numbers and engine displacement, it shows that the Coyote is actually making more peak torque per displacement than the LT1. Pretty impressive really when you consider the LT1 has a larger bore and is direct injection, which all helps to produce more torque output. If the Coyote was the same displacement as the LT1, it would be a monster.
I realize that, but then the question is whether you can fit a 6.2L DOHC engine into the Mustang. Engine bay is already tight.

Ford sells its F150 V6 EB for a marginal price increase over the 5.0. Theoretically they could sell a V8 EB for a marginal price increase as well. 600 hp for what, $35k ? :headbang:

DiMaio90

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Escape
Can you explain to me how a direct injection chevy engine is going to make well over 1000whp without a nitrous? You do also know the coyote with a tt has gone faster on a stock engine then a Viper or vette with the same done. Boost for boost on stock engines lt or ls are not playing the same sport as coyotes. Full build vs full build lt engines are not going as fast as coyotes that i have seen anywhere. :confused:

Im not saying the coyote is some clear best winner for all but compared to the coyote the lt is not the best choice for hauling ass in nicely into the single digits.
I really don't know anything about the limitations of DI. I see you post regularly about it. If one is going for serious power and deep into the single digits, is the ls3 a better option than the lt1?
Sponsored