Sponsored

5.0 Coyote vs LS3/LT1 GM engines - how do they compare?

MotorJoe

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DIB S550 GT Auto
So, the better engine is obviusly the ONE that makes a better job and lasts longer.

Since their job is for a commercial muscle car, NOT profesional racing, and the LS1 is more powerfull at all RPMS, more efficient as fuel consumption goes and is smaller, it is obvious that it works better. But the Coyote certainly seems to Last longer, so pick your winner depending on your priorities.
Sponsored

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
So, the better engine is obviusly the ONE that makes a better job and lasts longer.

Since their job is for a commercial muscle car, NOT profesional racing, and the LS1 is more powerfull at all RPMS, more efficient as fuel consumption goes and is smaller, it is obvious that it works better. But the Coyote certainly seems to Last longer, so pick your winner depending on your priorities.
I'm guessing there is a language barrier for us to work with on this..

The LS series isn't more powerful at every RPM.

MotorJoe

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DIB S550 GT Auto
I'm guessing there is a language barrier for us to work with on this..

The LS series isn't more powerful at every RPM.
Maybe there is a language barrier for YOU to work on this :doh:, since you only babble nonsense.

Here is an output chart for the two engines published in the same magazine.

And please don't be so lame as to say that the LT1 does not reach 6500 RPM and that is what you meant. That would be stupid since peak output is archived earlier than that in the LT1. :headbonk:

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
Are you talking about the LS1, LS3, L99? Or the LT1?

Don't tell me I'm babbling nonsense for saying the LS series isn't more powerful at every RPM and then post the LT1 as proof as means to discredit what I said.

Sponsored

MotorJoe

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DIB S550 GT Auto

Don't tell me I'm babbling nonsense for saying the LS series isn't more powerful at every RPM and then post the LT1 as proof as means to discredit what I said.
Sorry, my mistake typing LS, I meant LT1 as used in the current model year cars.

Higgs Boson

Detonation Denotation
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 GT350R

Let's not pretend the LTx and LSx are VASTLY different....The iterations of each all mix up with each other with regards to power.

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
Let's not pretend the LTx and LSx are VASTLY different....The iterations of each all mix up with each other with regards to power.
Well I wouldn't say the LS series motors are vastly different from each other..

I would say given that absolutely nothing is shared between the LS and LT series...they are closer to 'vastly' different.

5ABI VT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
I like rpm and to me the engine that revs higher is better ! With the gt350 intake and other intake and no other changes besides raising the limiter its spinning 8k. Sure would love to see the LT1 go 8000rpm without a massive duration cam and associated components giving up idle, fuel economy and emissions etc.

I'm not aware of the coyote potential yet with regards to stroker and potential for bigger ci. But I also have an LT5 in my 94 zr1. The dohc architecture beats the shit out of the pushrod motors. Even for a 26 year old motor... Some builds are over 800hp. NA (fast lane even did an NA race built with over 1000hp) Even given the limitations of bore and stroke etc from an older design (LT5 Is much smaller dimensionally than the coyote yet can be punched out to 440+ ci) a dohc motor of equivalent ci will beat a pushrod motor . I think it's kind of cute ford uses 302 ci and pushes almost the same power. To me, it's still a better motor because it has the foundation to make a ton of power and rev higher.

Sponsored

DiMaio90

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Escape
I like rpm and to me the engine that revs higher is better ! With the gt350 intake and other intake and no other changes besides raising the limiter its spinning 8k. Sure would love to see the LT1 go 8000rpm without a massive duration cam and associated components giving up idle, fuel economy and emissions etc.

I'm not aware of the coyote potential yet with regards to stroker and potential for bigger ci. But I also have an LT5 in my 94 zr1. The dohc architecture beats the shit out of the pushrod motors. Even for a 26 year old motor... Some builds are over 800hp. NA (fast lane even did an NA race built with over 1000hp) Even given the limitations of bore and stroke etc from an older design (LT5 Is much smaller dimensionally than the coyote yet can be punched out to 440+ ci) a dohc motor of equivalent ci will beat a pushrod motor . I think it's kind of cute ford uses 302 ci and pushes almost the same power. To me, it's still a better motor because it has the foundation to make a ton of power and rev higher.

I don't understand the obsession with high revs. If you have a (relatively) lower TQ motor that can rev higher (but needs shorter gears) how is that any better than an motor with higher TQ than can't rev as high but as a result can move a car with longer gear ratios? you could literally tape a different graphic over an LS3 or LT1 or 5.0 to make it look like it redlines at 8.5K and you wouldn't know the difference. All that matters is how quickly an engine can accelerate a car.

Higgs Boson

Detonation Denotation
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 GT350R
Well I wouldn't say the LS series motors are vastly different from each other..

I would say given that absolutely nothing is shared between the LS and LT series...they are closer to 'vastly' different.
you need to examine a little further than that and find out WHY you think "nothing is shared," lol....

direct injection is the major difference, everthing else that changed is simply because spraying into the cylinder requires a few different parts....like heads, pistons, etc.....otherwise they are the same thing. i mean, I have had both apart sitting next to each other....have you? or are you reading the marketing brochure/press release GM makes so people will be interested? You know, "Hey everyone, this year's car will have the same engine! Are you excited to buy one now?" ;)

5ABI VT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT