Rod
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EcoBoost

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Premium PP/Navi/ZF(6R80) Shaker Pro
I'm at 5 years and 40k miles on my 2014.5 (2014 Spanish engine) without a catch can and don't have any idea, or care what my valves look like. The engine runs perfect and that is the only thing that matters.

After 5 years and multiple vehicles using the 2.3t engine I would say the catch can theory is a big ole dud

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
Catch cans are over rated. I have had boosted Coyotes for years always used breathers. Never an issue. This just in, you wanna know what adds real value? Using the best oils out there and changing that oil on a regular basis. That will go along way past 40k miles..

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Catch cans are over rated. I have had boosted Coyotes for years always used breathers. Never an issue. This just in, you wanna know what adds real value? Using the best oils out there and changing that oil on a regular basis. That will go along way past 40k miles..
Agree, my oil is changed every 6 months (I only drive 1-5k in 6 months) by the dealership using the same OEM oil blend that comes from the factory. I also use only top tier gas. The engine runs perfect with no issues and MPG has not changed.

Sponsored

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Agree, my oil is changed every 6 months (I only drive 1-5k in 6 months) by the dealership using the same OEM oil blend that comes from the factory. I also use only top tier gas. The engine runs perfect with no issues and MPG has not changed.
I don't think most people consider motorcraft synthetic blend among the best oils.

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't think most people consider motorcraft synthetic blend among the best oils.
I never said Motorcraft synthetic blend was among the best oils, only that I am using the OEM Motorcraft synthetic blend. My point being that using the OEM Motorcraft synthetic blend is working out just fine.

Last edited:

Aaron1085

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT - Whipple
great thread. I am boosted and run a catch can with 5w50 Mobil 1.
I emptied the catch can after probably 4000 miles (second owner) and did have a small amount of oil inside.

I would absolutely agree proper oil changes and basic maintenance is best

Reddirocket27

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2018 CPO EB Prem Conv w/ 201A
Reviving this to ask, if CC are so beneficial, why don't the OEMs install them from factory?

BLU-PNY

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ecoboost Mustang premium vert, 2016 F-150 XLT 4x4, 2006 Mazda Miata
Probably 1) because it would then become a service item (emptying periodically) that many(most?) owners would not get done. And 2), not necessary to satisfy warranty parameters or 3) to provide satisfactory performance and engine longevity for most consumers. 4) Cost to include.

Having said that, I debated on installing one for over a year but finally decided I would. Installed the Mishimoto unit about 2000 miles or so ago. Emptied it 1st time last weekend. Maybe a half ounce of captured oil/contaminants.....

I use Mobil 1 and top tier gas exclusively and believe both to be beneficial. I can't be adamant that everyone should install/or needs a catch can. Nonetheless, I'm glad I installed mine for whatever benefit it provides, for its relatively low cost.

Sponsored

Black9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost
If for anything else, the CC is beneficial in keeping oil vapors to a minimum in the intake charge reducing the octane rating, an important thing for Ecoboosts. Catch cans are made for many direct injected engines ...for a reason, just as someone stated earlier, the factory doesn’t add them because it would be another thing the majority of consumers wouldn’t service or forget to. The fact that Ford sells their version should tell you something.

BLU-PNY

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ecoboost Mustang premium vert, 2016 F-150 XLT 4x4, 2006 Mazda Miata
Good point, and that was another consideration for me in deciding to install a CC.

Turbong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR EB 6MT PP Recaros
My bet is the valves would look no different with or without the can, there was a member with a catch can that was suppose to report back how the valves look at 100k of course he never did . One could only assume it didn't look any better from non can valves.

Last edited:

signal12

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Vehicle(s)
2015 RR 50 YEAR Ecoboost Convertable 6MT
I can tell you this much, my car smoked like a chimney after my downpipe went on. UPR DVCC completely cleared it up and it catches a significant amount of oil. My first Mishi did nothing for me!!

SpeedLu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Premium PP1 Mustang GT, 2017 F-150 Platinum FX4
Phillips 66 makes very good motor oil.
Sponsored