honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I thought about this for Watkins Glen this summer. However I’ve only done driving events based on run groups. I’ve averaged 2-3 events per year for the past 25 years.

My main concern is being in track with other drivers of different skill levels, some not knowing what they are doing, versus being in a like set of experienced drivers per run group.

Your thoughts ??

Thanks in advance

Dave
FWIW, I've found that the open lapping days I've attended were far safer than the standard ones purely due to everyone having better manners, there was no competition/rush to get out on track, and the relaxed atmosphere kept everyone chill. I've done both ends of the spectrum (racer-oriented lapping where folks were doing test and tune and standard HPDE-levels type of stuff) and found both situations to be the same.

I highly recommend it and always prefer them when I can find them. I'll specifically plan a long cross-country trip to my favorite tracks around the open lapping dates because of it.

Last edited:

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Does it stick if you have ceramic on top of the PPF?
It should. I don't see why it wouldn't. I don't know if it will mess up your ceramic, but it shouldn't because the ceramic is a molecular bond.

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
I thought about this for Watkins Glen this summer. However I’ve only done driving events based on run groups. I’ve averaged 2-3 events per year for the past 25 years.

My main concern is being in track with other drivers of different skill levels, some not knowing what they are doing, versus being in a like set of experienced drivers per run group.

Your thoughts ??

Thanks in advance

Dave
One general rule of thumb for open pit is not to start right away. Wait 30-45 mins or so. For example, if the track brief is done at 0830, wait until 0915 before getting on the track. By that time, things will thin out and the uber-enthusiastic have made their first run. The second rule of thumb is to save energy for the last hour. Again, things will thin out by then.

Doesn't directly address the point of mixing skill groups, but does provide a degree of natural separation.

OP
OP
STFUdonny

STFUdonny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350 AG
I have to say today was the most enjoyable experience I’ve had on a track. Besides the fact it was my first time tracking an R which was beyond my expectations, the group of guys and gals today were all incredible to drive with.

Only 16 cars total and at no point was there more than 8 cars on the track at one time. Nobody was overly aggressive and everyone of us did excellent with point by’s.

I found 10-15 minutes on and 20 minutes off was ideal to recover and get the mental sharpness back up. I truly feel spoiled now to this type of event for so many reasons. It’s going to be hard to attend another huge event with 20 on, 2 hours off.

Trakk Tape Ana Gorilla tape worked like a charm and the car is spotless afterwards.

thanks again for the input guys. It made my day really fun.

Sponsored

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
What track did you visit? I can’t wait to take mine.

I have to say today was the most enjoyable experience I’ve had on a track. Besides the fact it was my first time tracking an R which was beyond my expectations, the group of guys and gals today were all incredible to drive with.

Only 16 cars total and at no point was there more than 8 cars on the track at one time. Nobody was overly aggressive and everyone of us did excellent with point by’s.

I found 10-15 minutes on and 20 minutes off was ideal to recover and get the mental sharpness back up. I truly feel spoiled now to this type of event for so many reasons. It’s going to be hard to attend another huge event with 20 on, 2 hours off.

Trakk Tape Ana Gorilla tape worked like a charm and the car is spotless afterwards.

thanks again for the input guys. It made my day really fun.

anacar312

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
HEP R Chassis LR268
Just got my roll of Trakk tape in and going to grab black gorilla tape for splitter and other plastic trim.
Gorilla tape? I missed that one, please do tell.....

anacar312

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
HEP R Chassis LR268
Essentially Black duck tape. I'm a big fan of gaffers tape which has a much cleaner release. https://www.amazon.com/Professional...1&keywords=gaffers+tape&qid=1611967982&sr=8-3
Sorry for not being more clear... I was curious as to the specific use of the gorilla tape. I’m aware what the product itself is.

my initial thought was in line with your comment... what about the adhesive residue? So maybe he was using under the splitter like that “Sliplo” product?

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
Sorry for not being more clear... I was curious as to the specific use of the gorilla tape. I’m aware what the product itself is.

my initial thought was in line with your comment... what about the adhesive residue? So maybe he was using under the splitter like that “Sliplo” product?
That makes more sense :)

I’ve seen some use it on the top/front of the splitter, and some use it on the plastic rocker panels. Gorilla tape leaves less residue than duck tape in my experience, but I still like gaffers better. I’m ppf’d on the paint and I don’t sweat the plastic bits.

Last edited:

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Gorilla tape? I missed that one, please do tell.....
The part of the car that takes the biggest beating (sandblasting) is the splitter and other front end plastics.

I cover my paint with trakk tape and plastics with black gorilla tape. I use clear gorrilla tape where extra paint protection is needed over trakk tape.
Sponsored