Sponsored

3M Clear Film Wrap (coverage)

tsunami

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium EcoBoost Convertible
My dealer is trying to get me to buy 3M clear film wrap. The partial wrap extends about 1/3 of the way up the hood, the full wrap goes up to the windshield. I would prefer just to protect the 'cowl' (bumper and up to front of the hood) because I am planning on having a 3M hood stripe applied to the hood.

Does 3M make a factory made pattern that only extends up to the hood, not onto the hood?
Sponsored

GiddyUp15

YMR Member #585
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Convertible
I was about to start a new thread about this. I'm looking into a 3M clear bra for my car and was wondering if anyone has had it and what they've paid. I had a local shop quote me $1400 for full hood, fenders, bumper, headlights, and mirrors. Just 24" of hood and bumper was $999. Their website says they custom cut everything so they can overlap into the seams...seems like a good company and product, but also seems a bit saucy $$$. My dealer is looking into what they can do for me, but the salesman thought they had something that was $499...we will see. With all the rocks and gravel around here (they use a lot of sand on the roads for snow) I really want something to protect my baby!

Flak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 SVT Fusion Coupe
I was about to start a new thread about this. I'm looking into a 3M clear bra for my car and was wondering if anyone has had it and what they've paid. I had a local shop quote me $1400 for full hood, fenders, bumper, headlights, and mirrors. Just 24" of hood and bumper was $999. Their website says they custom cut everything so they can overlap into the seams...seems like a good company and product, but also seems a bit saucy $$$. My dealer is looking into what they can do for me, but the salesman thought they had something that was $499...we will see. With all the rocks and gravel around here (they use a lot of sand on the roads for snow) I really want something to protect my baby!
If it's the top of the line 3M stuff it's not a bad price. I've been quoted 1600 for similar, just add rocker panels and a strip on the rear bumper for cargo.

GiddyUp15

YMR Member #585
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Convertible

Sponsored

valentinoamoro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 TY Mustang GT
Did you guys end up finding a installer who could do a 3M or Ventureshield kit for the full hood? Mine told me the max length they have is 60 inches. The hood is 63 inches wide!
Also, how much did it end up costing?

Netromancer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2015 Triple Yellow Mustang GT
$795 is about the standard price for going up 1/3 on the hood. It's what I paid 4 years ago and its what 5 different installers said when asked over the phone. When one guy saw the car in person, he said it would be $900 just because the size of the front bumper.

I'm actually on the fence about putting a clear bra on my Mustang, I had it on my Mazda for 4 years and it did help, but not as much as I thought it would. There was a large painted area that wasn't covered because its a plastic piece on base models, so no pattern for it. That area had maybe 1 or 2 small dents, while the rest of the front end kinda looked worse because of scratches and stains.

The clear bra is great at protecting your car but what they don't tell you is that you need to clean it asap if there are bugs on it, bird crap, ect. other wise it stains. Also the bra can be scratched easily and those don't buff out, I had many people comment on the scratches thinking it was in the paint.

At the end of 4 years the bra really showed its age but I used the car as a DD. My father's car, a fully built up 280z with $25k Lamborghini paint (got it for free) has a clear bra that still looks perfect after 4 years, but its driven less than 5k miles a year.

Someone did offer a solution to this problem. I plan to get my car sealed with Opti Coat, it's like a second clear coat. A professional detailer suggested putting Opti Coat on the bra which would protect it from bugs and light scratches.

Then again, the nice thing is you can easily replace the bra and slap on a new one.

TL;DR The clear bra protects but it shows its age if you use the car as a daily driver. If you don't ride people's ass you might not need one.

Last edited:

opensesame

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Oxford Ecobeast with PP
I am planning on getting Racing stripes. Is it possible to install clear bra over vinyl stripes? OR should we install the stripes on TOP of the clear bra?

Netromancer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2015 Triple Yellow Mustang GT
I am planning on getting Racing stripes. Is it possible to install clear bra over vinyl stripes? OR should we install the stripes on TOP of the clear bra?
Defiantly stripes over the bra. There are few reasons, biggest one being if the stripe is damaged you don't have to remove the bra to fix it. The second is if you plan on getting matte stripes, the part under the clear bra would appear glossy.

For the heck of it I asked several people who install vinyl and clear bras, they all said the same thing.

Sponsored

RB510

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT (Raven Black, PP, 50 Years)
I had my Mustang 3M'd on the entire front end for $1500. For the price of the car I felt it was worth it. And I know I'd have regretted NOT getting it done once I got my first chip on the hood.

Naturally, I still got a rock chip, on the door. Must've bounced off the ground and nailed my door on the freeway or something.

But the front is nice and chip-free....

valentinoamoro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 TY Mustang GT
Naturally, I still got a rock chip, on the door. Must've bounced off the ground and nailed my door on the freeway or something.

But the front is nice and chip-free....
Hate it when that happens, I got nailed on the side a couple of years back with a big ass stone kicked up by a Raptor moving in the opposite direction - left a dent on the side!

For my 2015 just did a full hood/fender and front cover + rocker panels, A Pillars, rear bumper and the full gloss back acrylic plate in the rear which has acquired a reputation for scratching easily. 1700 w tax. Suntek PPF with self healing tech, lifetime warranty for bra and install, seamless job (except A pillar). This is pretty much the max custom coverage you can get short of wrapping the whole car (I also got a satin black roof job mainly for cosmetic reasons but also for protection - that was pricey at 360)

Blk2015GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
I guess I don't get it. If you're going to pay $1500+ for film that's more than a front paint job at most pretty decent shops.

The film doesnt last forever either. Depending on weather you should get average 5 years out of it.

It also by no means protects against all damage/chips either. A good hit at highway speed will leave a dent under the film no matter what you do; maybe it wont take the paint off but still leave damage that needs to be fixed.

So you wait a few years and if you have chips get the front bumper/front of hood (where most of the chips will be) or whatever painted for less.
Sponsored