Sponsored

350 hp ecoboost?

Topnotch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mazda CX-9 Touring
2015 Ford Mustang EcoBoost to Make 350 Horsepower?

Everyone is talking horsepower this week now that we’ve found out exactly how much horsepower the 2015 Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat makes. But there is another muscle car debuting later this year that we don’t have horsepower numbers for, and that’s the 2015 Ford Mustang EcoBoost. According to an anonymous source close to the project, that number is 350 hp.

Currently, Ford claims that the EcoBoost will make 305+ horsepower, but they haven’t detailed an official number. Our source told us that we should see a number around 350 hp. He went on to say that the official number revealed might be lower than 350, but the engine will be underrated from the factory. That’s consistent with previous forced-induction Fords that make more than their stated horsepower.

Our source also believes that the 4-cylinder EcoBoost will be the best handling, most balanced of the new Mustangs. The lightweight engine helps a lot in that arena, and for those wanting more power, an ECU re-flash is all that’s needed.

All of this makes sense to us. Ford needs to justify the price increase over the V6, and 305 hp isn’t enough to do it. But a number closer to 350 puts the car square in the middle of V6 and V8 variants. Though, 350 hp is significantly higher than the horsepower rating in the Lincoln MKC, which shares the engine. This just shows how much potential these small Ford engines actually have.

Hopefully we get actual performance numbers soon, and we eagerly look forward to driving the new Mustang once it hits the streets.

Check out our video review of the Lincoln MKC where we talk about the new engine that also will appear in the 2015 Mustang.

http://www.tflcar.com/2014/07/2015-mustang-ecoboost-350/
Sponsored

docprego

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang Ecoboost Premium Magnetic/Ebony
I'm glad to hear this. It wasn't sitting well with me that the V6 and Ecoboost essentially were going to put out the same amount of horsepower. At 350 it makes the Ecoboost a legitimate upgrade from the V6 but still leaves plenty of room for the V8 to flex its muscles.

scottpe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 GT 6MT w/ Brembos
That would be very impressive. I hope the real world numbers for GT are equally as impressive, even if not touted in the advertised specs...

Sponsored

JoeySD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joey
Vehicle(s)
16' BMW M2, 6MT, Long Beach Blue Metalic
I really hope this is true !!! wow 350 HP !!!

valentinoamoro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 TY Mustang GT
350 seems a lot. Esp when compared to the Lincoln and the fact there is a 2.7T and 3.5T in that range. It's not too far from the CLAAMG's output from a 4 banger.

It's nice to be optimistic, lets see. I was thinking 320 max.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
English mags were touting 350bhp for the Ecoboost (albeit they were referring to the RS Focus) a long time ago................so I hope this comes to fruition :)

Wild Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Mustang GT
I don't think it will get anywhere near that high given that the 2015 MKC only gets 285.

Rob WH

Gettin' old
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
1987 LX coupe(and others), 14 Escape
350 seems a lot. Esp when compared to the Lincoln and the fact there is a 2.7T and 3.5T in that range. It's not too far from the CLAAMG's output from a 4 banger.
It's nice to be optimistic, lets see. I was thinking 320 max.
Anything above 305 would be welcomed, no doubt.

I don't think it will get anywhere near that high given that the 2015 MKC only gets 285.
I don't understand why anyone puts real stock in the power some other vehicle makes in correlation to what a performance vehicle makes. The MKC, for example, is a small SUV... it's an Escape, frankly(albeit much, much nicer). Those aren't meant to compete on any track. Plus, we already know that the Mustang EB will have more than 20 ponies over that, at a minimum.

The 2.7L and 3.5L aren't offered in Mustang and probably won't be, at least for awhile, unless it's like the SVO of decades ago. The 2.7L is only meant for the F-150 so far, but if Ford offered 350 from the 2.3L, there's never going to be a reason to use the 2.7L in Mustang... no problem.

The 3.5L can also be seriously tuned, but again, it's not a Mustang engine and doesn't need to be. The 5L is more capable, period. For the 2-3 people who think they're close, they're not. The 5L can make and withstand HUNDREDS more hp than the 3.5L or any smaller turbo engine available.

Question: Why is it wrong for a 2.3L in the Mustang to have similar power to a 2.7L and/or a 3.5L in a different Ford product?

Sponsored

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
Question: Why is it wrong for a 2.3L in the Mustang to have similar power to a 2.7L and/or a 3.5L in a different Ford product?
There is nothing wrong with it.
But a 2.3 liter engine, can only put out so much HP.

BMW's acclaimed 3.0 engine only puts out 300hp/300tq. Obviously underrated, but many don't see Ford getting such numbers out of a stock 2.3 liter engine.

2.3 EB in Mustang will be roughly 310hp/315tq.
I would suspect that the 350hp number is an aftermarket Ford racing tune. Not stock! The 2.3EB has way more TQ than the v6 and easily out perform it without much higher HP. It doesn't need 350hp to be the engine of choice. Hardly anybody is going to get a v6 Mustang.. when u can get a turbo that packs more punch.

najay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 boss 302
my wife's pontiac solstice puts out 290hp/340tq with the GMPP tune. You need to remember that direct injection is a game changer with boost ... i could imagine ford rating it at 320/320 base and 350hp 'overboost' (or whatever they call it).

crysalis_01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Terminator Cobra
my wife's pontiac solstice puts out 290hp/340tq with the GMPP tune. You need to remember that direct injection is a game changer with boost ... i could imagine ford rating it at 320/320 base and 350hp 'overboost' (or whatever they call it).

This. Ford has stated "over 305hp". I'll wager that we'll see the Euro-spec 2.3 rated around 310-320, fulfilling the stated 305+. However, since the US doesn't have any regulations prohibiting the advertisement of temporary output figures like the Europeans do; we'll see advertised numbers attained within the Ecoboost's "overboost" feature, which provides an uptick of about 7-8%. Most likely in the 330-350hp range.

Rob WH

Gettin' old
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
1987 LX coupe(and others), 14 Escape
There is nothing wrong with it.
But a 2.3 liter engine, can only put out so much HP.

BMW's acclaimed 3.0 engine only puts out 300hp/300tq. Obviously underrated, but many don't see Ford getting such numbers out of a stock 2.3 liter engine.
Well, Ford has already told us the 2.3L in the Mustang will be at least at 310, so anyone doubting 300 isn't paying attention. Besides, we also know the Ford 2.7L will be over 300, so...

For the record, the old school 2.3L has made well over 700hp. I don't think Ford is worried about this engine coming apart, knowing that old one with a single cam stays together. Of course, the only one is all iron and that certainly helps on the abuse end.

2.3 EB in Mustang will be roughly 310hp/315tq.
I would suspect that the 350hp number is an aftermarket Ford racing tune. Not stock! The 2.3EB has way more TQ than the v6 and easily out perform it without much higher HP. It doesn't need 350hp to be the engine of choice. Hardly anybody is going to get a v6 Mustang.. when u can get a turbo that packs more punch.
The aftermarket 2.0L Focus ST calibration tool adds an additional 90 lb-ft torque(max) and while it hardly adds a single hp, it brings more power on early and almost throughout the rpm range. Still, they could simply bump the boost to 18 or 20 and see a solid increase.

That's a great torque bump, kinda like the Ford mentioned above and it seems hp is about the same as well, much smaller but not really a matter for concern. The problem with DI is... we don't know it's limits. It has other small drawbacks, but overall, it will probably become a really big deal. It's done wonderfully in diesel engines... forever.

Brent302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
Yeah and the superchargers being worked on for the new 5.0 touting 700HP is a game changer too lol
Sponsored