Sponsored

3 year Ford service plan

wenklaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Had an email about a 3 year service plan from Ford for £489. How many services would that include, it does say you cant do more than 12k which i don't. It states that 'The Service Plan contract starts on the date the vehicle was registered'

So my car was registered on 30/11/2019, so i figure a service is due at the latest on 29/11/2020. then another on 29/11/21 and its 3rd on 29/11/22 so i would get 3???

If its 3 that seems a decent price
Sponsored

AstroKeith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red GT Auto
Had an email about a 3 year service plan from Ford for £489. How many services would that include, it does say you cant do more than 12k which i don't. It states that 'The Service Plan contract starts on the date the vehicle was registered'

So my car was registered on 30/11/2019, so i figure a service is due at the latest on 29/11/2020. then another on 29/11/21 and its 3rd on 29/11/22 so i would get 3???

I bought the plan when I purchased my GT back in 2016. Overall it was good price, but note that if you want your oil changed when the car tells you (ie around 6K miles) this plan wont pay for it.

OP
OP
wenklaw

wenklaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
I bought the plan when I purchased my GT back in 2016. Overall it was good price, but note that if you want your oil changed when the car tells you (ie around 6K miles) this plan wont pay for it.
My oil life was reducing at a steady pace which pretty much would coincide with 12 months, currently sat at 3800 miles and 33% oil life and 3 months left until a service would be due, i reckon i will make it!! How early can i get the Ford service done i wonder?

I assume i don't actually have to change the oil at 0% to maintain the warranty because i can simply reset and change myself with no evidence i ever did and that essentially would mean 2 oil changes in 2 months and about 300 miles!!!!!

Don't get me wrong i am all for regular oil changes and servicing but the above would be ridiculous. When i did more miles i always got my oil changed at around 1500-2500 on a new car (m2 you had to get a RIS oil change at 1200miles) then just adhered to the service intervals. Nowadays i don't feel that changing at 1500 then at probably 5500 all within 12 months is worth it.

AstroKeith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red GT Auto
I suspect the car will log each reset?!
I persuaded my dealership to do the services and oil changes out of sync, as necessary. Mostly they were close enough though.

OP
OP
wenklaw

wenklaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
I suspect the car will log each reset?!
I persuaded my dealership to do the services and oil changes out of sync, as necessary. Mostly they were close enough though.
Thats my point, i can reset it and there is absolutely no proof i have or haven't changed the oil as it doesn't stipulate you need to a) have it done by a Ford Dealer or b) keep or log any receipts/service record.

Personally i don't believe the the oil life would have degraded to a point it needs replacing in 6000 miles if your'e not tracking it or driving like an absolute loon all the time. I cant see how for example you can go easily 12k but up to 18k or 2 years (which is conditioned based monitoring driving habits, ie how many MPG you get) in a turbocharged BMW M2 but only 6k in a Mustang and then the oil needs changing.

My Mustang seems to be basing oil life on time rather than driving habits.

Sponsored

AstroKeith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red GT Auto
This subject has been aired so many times on this and other forums!
Personally I would say...

US drivers have been used to oil changes every 5k miles. Its cheaper over there and company cars are much rarer. So you look after your engine.
There are some thoughts that the engine is designed for more regular oil changes. It is 5 litre after all! Piston cooling sprays, etc, etc.
Fleet cars are sold on long service intervals. They may not be good if you want to do high mileage. (most fleet cars are turned over after 30-40k miles.)

I change mine every 6k miles, or whenever I'm advised by the IOL system.

OP
OP
wenklaw

wenklaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
This subject has been aired so many times on this and other forums!
Personally I would say...

US drivers have been used to oil changes every 5k miles. Its cheaper over there and company cars are much rarer. So you look after your engine.
There are some thoughts that the engine is designed for more regular oil changes. It is 5 litre after all! Piston cooling sprays, etc, etc.
Fleet cars are sold on long service intervals. They may not be good if you want to do high mileage. (most fleet cars are turned over after 30-40k miles.)

I change mine every 6k miles, or whenever I'm advised by the IOL system.
yes mate I see where you’re coming from, no harm whatsoever. Thing is N55 and S55 BMW engines have proven fairly bullet proof with high mileage and from what I read the coyote is considered to be a high quality engine too. Anyway I digress, for me I would never have left my m2 until 15k-18k I just wouldn’t have, the low miles I do though means it’s never a consideration nowadays but even if I did it would get a change at 10k and no less

s1ms

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Simon
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I had my car serviced last December (2019) at a Ford Dealership and now it's August and the car started shouting that oil needs to be changed. I did less than 2000 miles. The guys at the dealership were surprised about this too and they said there was a software update issued by Ford to deal with these short oil change intervals. Will if it tells me to change the oil again in 8 months time.

OP
OP
wenklaw

wenklaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
I had my car serviced last December (2019) at a Ford Dealership and now it's August and the car started shouting that oil needs to be changed. I did less than 2000 miles. The guys at the dealership were surprised about this too and they said there was a software update issued by Ford to deal with these short oil change intervals. Will if it tells me to change the oil again in 8 months time.
Well there we have it basically the oil life reading isn't to be trusted or at the very least its worth personal driving habits to be factored in to it.

Oh and i went ahead with the 3 year service plan for £489, got interest free credit over 24 months which made it a no brainer really at £20 a month. Why pay in full if you don't pay interest has always been my ethos. Mustang on 0% too, Ford are making my Mustang ownership a lot cheaper/easier on my bank balance than my M2.

TimG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT manual
Well there we have it basically the oil life reading isn't to be trusted or at the very least its worth personal driving habits to be factored in to it.

Oh and i went ahead with the 3 year service plan for £489, got interest free credit over 24 months which made it a no brainer really at £20 a month. Why pay in full if you don't pay interest has always been my ethos. Mustang on 0% too, Ford are making my Mustang ownership a lot cheaper/easier on my bank balance than my M2.
If the oil life indicator has similar accuracy to the voltage indication its not up to much & can be ignored. If the car is not heavily used it seems unlikely that a premium quality oil is only good 5000 miles. Of course if you can do it yourself changing it before 12 months or 12k miles can only be good & not hugely expensive

Sponsored

MarkD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT

I’m also in the same position with my car due for its first service next month. Going directly to Ford (online), the website quotes a price of £489 for three years which seems good.

However, when I phoned my local Ford Mustang dealer (CEM Days Swansea), they said that the Ford Protect Service Plan could not be used there, and that I would need to take out their service plan (which they quoted as £815) Does that sound correct ? I assumed the Ford one should be redeemable at any Ford Mustang dealership.

I’m now debating whether to pay the extra or have it serviced further away. My main concern is that if I don’t have it serviced with the local dealer, they will likely not be very interested if there are any warranty issues that come up in the next two years.

Was wondering if anybody had any advice, or servicing recommendations in the south wales area?

Cheers

GOM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red Ecoboost coupe
Personal experience; Chepstow Ford (branch of Monmotors).
Did not buy from them,only used them as local to me, quite happy to validate Ford Protect Service Plan.
Excellent service and treat me as a valued customer, not an irritation.

TimG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT manual
My first service was free as dealer messed the order up , 2nd cost £225, 3rd £279 including MOT. Fourth was £471 including plugs, pollen filter, MOT & brake fluid change I insisted on. There was never any mention of a service plan. £815 for 3 services it taking the Michael.

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Just to update this thread as I've jumped in on the servicing plan before my anniversary (it can only be taken out in the first year).

The dealer (Bristol Street) quoted me :
1st service = £234.72
2nd service = £330.97
3rd service = £245.66
Total = £811.35

The Ford protect plan is £489 and safe from inflation.

Bristol Street did say that they didn't honour the Ford Protect plan, but when I questioned them on it (told them I couldn't find any info on the validity of that statement on line and no guide as to what garages did honour it + asked them which did), they retracted their statement, confirmed that it was a their mistake and booked me in no problem :like:

I've just paid the £489 in one go and sold it to myself on the basis that the first service is expensive, but I get the 2nd and 3rd for free ... lol

WD :like:
Sponsored