Sponsored

3-step aftermarket audio setup (less money, most results) + a magic step to make sound perfect*

Brigadir

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT CS
I think it's worth to share my audio setup to the public, since it's not expensive and as far as I can assess it, the outcome is pretty good for the money.

I've done it in four steps and results after each of them were noticeable:
1. Get rid of factory speakers (9 channel A401) and put Focal 165AS3 kit
2. Sound deadening
3. Install aftermarket amplifier. In my case JBL DSP4086
(bonus) Cast magic on Sync 3 electronics with some radio components and solder

As all we know the factory premium audio is a regular shit and nothing more. So, replacing it with anything will result in better sound. Focal has pretty good and not expensive 165AS3 kit with basses, mids and twitters.

IMG_6203.JPG

Installing them is pretty straightforward. We'll need custom podiums for the basses, I made them from heavy solid polyurethane plates. The mids fit into the factory podiums. For the twitters we'll need to pass separate cord. We want to toss the factory center speaker to trash since it makes sound worse, not better. The rear speakers are discussable, I disconnected them as well.

IMG_6429.jpeg

Sound deadening is also pretty straightforward - the most important is to cover large plain surfaces (doors, floor under front seats, right and left sides of the back seats behind the doors). Also it's worth to put sound isolation mats in the doors carts from the inner side. Interesting that Ford engineers tried to do something in this area - there are some pieces of sound deadening silicon across the car body, but their approach rises more questions than answers :)

IMG_6763.jpeg

IMG_6418.jpeg

IMG_6426.jpeg

Ok, next is more interesting. There are tons of options regarding amplifier/DSP in a wide range of prices. After considering many of them JBL DSP4086 appeared to be the best choice for me. It provides good quality, has rich configuration features (per-channel EQ and delays), isn't very powerful (for example to drive a sub) and costs reasonable money. Also it fits into the factory place for amplifier. There is a steel plate that holds the amplifier bolted to the left side near the brake pedal. With minimal drilling this plate will hold JBL DSP4086. We'll need to pack the harness and hide it behind the DSP. Connecting the harness is pretty easy if we also buy appropriate connectors (iDatalink HRN-AR-FO3 Harness). What's great with this setup - we don't need additional cords axcept those for twitters, and one more to ground the DSP. After setting up all the hardware don't forget to disable APIM EQ with Forscan before configuring the DSP.

IMG_6437.jpeg

IMG_6438.jpeg

There is one solid disadvantage of JBL DSP4086 - it's software. It doesn't work on majority of laptops. In my case it was working only on 1 pretty old laptop and didn't on 4 others which I borrowed from my friends. The issue is known for years and JBL doesn't care about it. So, be ready to pass this quest.

IMG_6440.jpeg

At this step when we have aftermarket speakers, sound deadening and DSP, the sound is really good - not loud, but clear. Since this moment you will stop listening to radio, Spotify or other streaming services - you'll be forced to listen to FLAC only :) By the way, it's also noticeable that bluetooth audio isn't so good as wired one from USB stick or Carplay.

At the and, if you are still reading this post, let me share some really valuable info which I didn't find across audio setups but is the most beneficial in cost/result terms. It's about replacing some electronic components in Sync 3 unit - and this will make the sound perfect (not absolutely of course, but in context of our inexpensive setup). And it costs just $15.

What we have to do - to replace the shitty factory operational amplifier chip with a good one. There are two kinds of PCB in Sync 3 depending on it's revision, so the chip may be marked and placed differently. We replace it with Texas Instruments OPA1664 (SOP-14 package).
Then we find two capacitors on the output routes of the chip, which correspond to right and left audio channels, and replace them with high quality electrolytic ones of 4.7uF (I chose SILMIC II from ELNA).

IMG_7937.jpeg

Here is the result:

IMG_8034.jpeg

IMG_8031.jpeg

Now it's all. At this moment you will stop listening to counterfeit FLAC that is converted from mp3, but will be forced to search genuine FLAC tracks.

Hope this info will make someone's ears happier :)

Update after 1 year of usage:
In general everything works good except the following notes:
- connections of the speakers with wires inside the doors rot. It started at one speaker (I described this issue in the latest post in the thread), but then all other speakers have rotten as well. The solution is to cover the exposed connection points with silicon
- JBL DSP4086 heats too much, even if no music is playing. At some temperature it starts reducing the volume. The solution is to move it from that legs area to open place in the saloon - in my case to the legs room of rear seats (I need to extend the harness for this)
- one more downside of JBL DSP4086 - the software doesn't work on majority of laptops. There are many complains about it but no software update so far. It's weird that the DSP is still selling and there are a lot of 5 stars reviews without mentioning this issue
Sponsored

Last edited:

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
Nice write up. But I have questions.
Can you provide more info about the opamp modification?
How did you discover this?
Where in the signal chain is this opamp?
Is this opamp after the D/A converter?
Do you have a schematic of the board?

OP
OP
Brigadir

Brigadir

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT CS
Nice write up. But I have questions.
Can you provide more info about the opamp modification?
How did you discover this?
Where in the signal chain is this opamp?
Is this opamp after the D/A converter?
Do you have a schematic of the board?
I'm not very familiar with electronics, so probably can't answer the question from engineering side. There is only one opamp chip on the board. And there are two variants of the board - one as on my photos and the other looks like this:
1677120757859.png

The factory chip on my board is MC33204 and on the later - TL974Q. The main benefit is from replacing these chips with OPA1664, SOP-14 package for my variant of the board, and some other for the later one (as you see on the photo).

Additionally we may replace the capacitors with more capable and of higher quality. To do this you should find output channels of the chip which you use in DSP/amplifier. In my case only two channels (main left and right), but the APIM has others which go to back and center speakers by factory design. I looked at datasheet in figured out that those are the corner legs of the chip. Then you may trace the route to corresponding capacitors on the board. One more thing to pay attention - to place the capacitors in correct polarity (the factory ceramic ones don't have it).

Also there are more capacitors to replace, for example in power line. But it's too pedantic area...

Here are resources I was referring to. They cover this topic in more details:
https://www.drive2.com/l/589128501718719566/
https://www.drive2.com/l/600708558182425770/
https://www.drive2.com/l/609136589687260471/
https://www.drive2.com/l/594535899904117333/

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
I'm not very familiar with electronics, so probably can't answer the question from engineering side. There is only one opamp chip on the board. And there are two variants of the board - one as on my photos and the other looks like this:
1677120757859.png

The factory chip on my board is MC33204 and on the later - TL974Q. The main benefit is from replacing these chips with OPA1664, SOP-14 package for my variant of the board, and some other for the later one (as you see on the photo).

Additionally we may replace the capacitors with more capable and of higher quality. To do this you should find output channels of the chip which you use in DSP/amplifier. In my case only two channels (main left and right), but the APIM has others which go to back and center speakers by factory design. I looked at datasheet in figured out that those are the corner legs of the chip. Then you may trace the route to corresponding capacitors on the board. One more thing to pay attention - to place the capacitors in correct polarity (the factory ceramic ones don't have it).

Also there are more capacitors to replace, for example in power line. But it's too pedantic area...

Here are resources I was referring to. They cover this topic in more details:
https://www.drive2.com/l/589128501718719566/
https://www.drive2.com/l/600708558182425770/
https://www.drive2.com/l/609136589687260471/
https://www.drive2.com/l/594535899904117333/
Interesting stuff! The Russians are always keen on hacking the Sync system. In my other other car I have Sync2. With the help of some other clever Russians I was able to unlock the navigation feature in my Fusion.

What year is your Mustang? My car is a 2019 and I probably have the latter version of the PCB. Looking at the specs, the TL974Q is much better than the MC33204 but not as good as the OPA1664. The audio from my car's head unit is VERY quiet and sounds excellent. I have done lots of critical listening in my car after upgrading everything after the head unit and I am pleased with how it sounds. So for me, the disassembly and potential risk of damage to the board to change op-amps for a slight, possibly undetectable benefit in audio clarity will have me leave it alone for now. The Sync2 system in my Fusion on the other hand is a piece of hot garbage.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Brigadir

Brigadir

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT CS
Interesting stuff! The Russians are always keen on hacking the Sync system. In my other other car I have Sync2. With the help of some other clever Russians I was able to unlock the navigation feature in my Fusion.
Yeah, it's true for all Eastern Europe - Poland, Baltic states, Romania... People there know how to deal with car electronics :) by the way I'm from Ukraine.

What year is your Mustang? My car is a 2019 and I probably have the latter version of the PCB. Looking at the specs, the TL974Q is much better than the MC33204 but not as good as the OPA1664. The audio from my car's head unit is VERY quiet and sounds excellent. I have done lots of critical listening in my car after upgrading everything after the head unit and I am pleased with how it sounds. So for me, the disassembly and potential risk of damage to the board to change op-amps for a slight, possibly undetectable benefit in audio clarity will have me leave it alone for now. The Sync2 system in my Fusion on the other hand is a piece of hot garbage.
Mine is 2015. In my case the difference was noticeable in details, very similar to difference between average and good middle level headphones.

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
Yeah, it's true for all Eastern Europe - Poland, Baltic states, Romania... People there know how to deal with car electronics :) by the way I'm from Ukraine.

Mine is 2015. In my case the difference was noticeable in details, very similar to difference between average and good middle level headphones.
Glad you are staying safe in Mexico. Slava Ukraini!

Socal Stangman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
So was the idatalink cable a direct plug in for this amp? Did it plug directly into the stock car am; wiring and then right into the amp? Iā€™m assuming this is how you got it work properly?

OP
OP
Brigadir

Brigadir

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT CS
So was the idatalink cable a direct plug in for this amp? Did it plug directly into the stock car am; wiring and then right into the amp? Iā€™m assuming this is how you got it work properly?
Yes, that cable fits all needed connections. Here they are, 3 connectors (black, brown and gray) which used to go to factory amplifier and now will go to the DSP through the idatalink harness:
1677519776700.png

So, idatalink harness has corresponding connectors to these three ones and on the other end you have to solder wires to the DSP connector, cutting out all redundant parts of idatalink harness. It's pretty straightforward since all the wires are labeled.

There is other hardcore option to buy these three connectors and do all the work manually, but I didn't try it. Here they are at http://www.mouser.com/ :
34690-0160 - C4270
34690-0161 - C2385A
34772-0142 - C2385B
Not sure if pins are included

Ben James

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2018 S550 Mustang GT
I hear you brother with regards to the 'Fake' FLAC recordings via bluetooth. I got a membership at 'Tidal' because I was assured that they had very high quality recordings that were much better than the typical broadcasting via bluetooth.

So I loaded them up, and played some tunes I knew well from some CDs I had laying around from 20 odd years ago.

I played them through and it was a little disappointing. I thought it must have been something to do with the install, or a tuning setup point that I had missed, or maybe even having a little bit of 'bias' towards past systems that I'd installed in my old cars that led me to be more critical.

Just out of curiosity I downloaded a few master 'FLAC' quality files from Tidal and compared it to the CD in the car. There was a BIG difference and it was especially noticeable in the midrange area.

I'm figuring that they must be slightly meddling with the original sound so it blends well with a broad range of scenarios, most particularly with headphones? Anyways, it's evident that there is a difference. Also, with the CD playback I could go from rock to ambient to R&B with little changes in the amplitude, whereas bluetooth tracks AC/DC, Skrillex, Adele had vastly different recording volumes that made setting the output gain from the DSP a bit of a compomise.

For reference, I have a complete Focal speaker setup also, with the front/rear stage handled by a Helix P SIX DSP Ultimate located where the OEM was.

This makes me regret throwing most of my old CDs out...

There is other hardcore option to buy these three connectors and do all the work manually, but I didn't try it. Here they are at http://www.mouser.com/ :
34690-0160 - C4270
34690-0161 - C2385A
34772-0142 - C2385B
Not sure if pins are included
I did this option and can tell you that its a difficult task to get the wires neatly soldered. The plugs all have pins included but you will need to solder the connections on from the rear side.... and it gets tight. I was limited to a max wire gauge of 20AWG without running into fitment issues.

The hardest plug to do out of the three was the gray one that connects the stock wiring to the Front midbass/rear speakers. The black connector has the signal feeds for the RCAs, so I just used 24awg wire. Even though the black connector has the most wiring that you will have to do, using the smaller wire size means it will be easier then the gray plug. The easiest was the brown connector for the front mids, and I used this plug to install a TR4 to connect to the Amp remote on connection.

first photo is of the wiring harness, the second is the complete amplifier, adapter plate (RHD vehicle) and crossover assembly that was fitted where the OEM amp was previously.

B857ED05-5A91-43F1-867C-FDF836F216D9.jpeg

590B880B-7E4C-49E4-B541-EF9731715C3E.jpeg

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP
Brigadir

Brigadir

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT CS
I hear you brother with regards to the 'Fake' FLAC recordings via bluetooth. I got a membership at 'Tidal' because I was assured that they had very high quality recordings that were much better than the typical broadcasting via bluetooth.

So I loaded them up, and played some tunes I knew well from some CDs I had laying around from 20 odd years ago.

I played them through and it was a little disappointing. I thought it must have been something to do with the install, or a tuning setup point that I had missed, or maybe even having a little bit of 'bias' towards past systems that I'd installed in my old cars that led me to be more critical.

Just out of curiosity I downloaded a few master 'FLAC' quality files from Tidal and compared it to the CD in the car. There was a BIG difference and it was especially noticeable in the midrange area.

I'm figuring that they must be slightly meddling with the original sound so it blends well with a broad range of scenarios, most particularly with headphones? Anyways, it's evident that there is a difference. Also, with the CD playback I could go from rock to ambient to R&B with little changes in the amplitude, whereas bluetooth tracks AC/DC, Skrillex, Adele had vastly different recording volumes that made setting the output gain from the DSP a bit of a compomise.

For reference, I have a complete Focal speaker setup also, with the front/rear stage handled by a Helix P SIX DSP Ultimate located where the OEM was.

This makes me regret throwing most of my old CDs out...

I did this option and can tell you that its a difficult task to get the wires neatly soldered. The plugs all have pins included but you will need to solder the connections on from the rear side.... and it gets tight. I was limited to a max wire gauge of 20AWG without running into fitment issues.

The hardest plug to do out of the three was the gray one that connects the stock wiring to the Front midbass/rear speakers. The black connector has the signal feeds for the RCAs, so I just used 24awg wire. Even though the black connector has the most wiring that you will have to do, using the smaller wire size means it will be easier then the gray plug. The easiest was the brown connector for the front mids, and I used this plug to install a TR4 to connect to the Amp remote on connection.

first photo is of the wiring harness, the second is the complete amplifier, adapter plate (RHD vehicle) and crossover assembly that was fitted where the OEM amp was previously.

B857ED05-5A91-43F1-867C-FDF836F216D9.jpeg

590B880B-7E4C-49E4-B541-EF9731715C3E.jpeg
Thanks for the info regarding the pins. Helix amp looks solid! Did you use the crossovers with the DSP? In that case interesting if you set up anything specific regarding the crossovers? How I understand it, the crossovers affect phases, so with DSP we have to adjust timings to compensate that

Ben James

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2018 S550 Mustang GT
Yep, I kept the crossovers in the system. Iā€™m using them in Bi-amp configuration with 4 channels on the front stage, and two for a differential rear fill.

After I get a bit more confidence with the Helix platform I think Iā€™ll make the front stage completely active, and just get a small amp for the rear fill.

phase was kept in check by using the crossovers for the mid and highs, then running the bass though the crossover separately, so the front stage phasing is the same as focal intended. Kind of limiting for crossover points but my usual active crossover points are quite close to the focal passives anyways.

I then set the active crossover points to similar db roll offs so the rear fill and front stage played nice.

the whole system is almost 360 degrees out of phase but every driver is matched šŸ˜œ.

the subs are facing forward, and Iā€™ve played around with the time alignment a bit to find the right blend, which has worked out to be reversed polarity with 6ft of time aligned distance.

disclaimer: Iā€™m not exactly a pro on this stuff šŸ¤Ŗ but Iā€™ve seen the pros do a fair bit of the tuning process and they all at some point sit there and just try random things on the end.

car audio has so much in play itā€™s a fair bit of luck sometimes when you get it right.

Interestingly, the main way I've seen the pros tune in the phase towards the end is by just using a signal generator, and they just sat there by ear making sure the sound stayed central and forward, with no audible dips. They didn't spend too much time with the calibrated mic and relied on their 'golden ears'. soooo much ego in the car audio scene lol

I found an app on the Iphone called 'Audio Signal Generator' and it works like a charm.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Brigadir

Brigadir

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT CS
Yep, I kept the crossovers in the system. Iā€™m using them in Bi-amp configuration with 4 channels on the front stage, and two for a differential rear fill.

After I get a bit more confidence with the Helix platform I think Iā€™ll make the front stage completely active, and just get a small amp for the rear fill.

phase was kept in check by using the crossovers for the mid and highs, then running the bass though the crossover separately, so the front stage phasing is the same as focal intended. Kind of limiting for crossover points but my usual active crossover points are quite close to the focal passives anyways.

I then set the active crossover points to similar db roll offs so the rear fill and front stage played nice.

the whole system is almost 360 degrees out of phase but every driver is matched šŸ˜œ.

the subs are facing forward, and Iā€™ve played around with the time alignment a bit to find the right blend, which has worked out to be reversed polarity with 6ft of time aligned distance.

disclaimer: Iā€™m not exactly a pro on this stuff šŸ¤Ŗ but Iā€™ve seen the pros do a fair bit of the tuning process and they all at some point sit there and just try random things on the end.

car audio has so much in play itā€™s a fair bit of luck sometimes when you get it right.

Interestingly, the main way I've seen the pros tune in the phase towards the end is by just using a signal generator, and they just sat there by ear making sure the sound stayed central and forward, with no audible dips. They didn't spend too much time with the calibrated mic and relied on their 'golden ears'. soooo much ego in the car audio scene lol

I found an app on the Iphone called 'Audio Signal Generator' and it works like a charm.
Interesting experience! In my case I simply rely on delays put by the software based on entered distance to the speakers. Respect for doing this all on your side! :)

Ben James

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2018 S550 Mustang GT
I hope it all goes well with your setup. I thought I'd add a little more detail on the three OEM amplifier connectors mentioned earlier.

Apologies if the pics are a bit large but I wanted to give you a better view of the connectors.

When I ordered mine I accidentally got the vertical header version for the gray and brown connector which made it slightly more difficult to solder.

Connector 1.jpg
Connector 2.jpg

As you can see in the pics, on the connectors they give an indication which pin corresponds to each number (1/8/9/16). I can verify that this is correct when viewing the schematics seen in the other thread sticky.

Also, I've had great success with installing a Lithium battery and integrating it into the BMS system. This gives you a stable voltage at around 13.2v (car off) which can be very helpful if entering SQ comps, as they can sit there with your car and no engine running for a good half hour or so. There was a couple of times in the past that I worried that I may run out of battery power before the judging finished. Using a Lithium battery in an SQ comp is a game changer because you can keep your system sounding clean right until the end of judging, and it takes only 2-3 mins of engine running to charge it back up to full voltage. As a plus, if you end up going down to full depletion, you start up your app (or open the hood), press a button, and it gives you a reserve capacity to start your engine for a recharge.

The vehicle battery I use is a Lithiumax RESTART9,

https://www.lithiumax.com.au/produc...tooth-900ca-ultra-lite-engine-starter-battery

and it has an excellent IOS/android app that tells you how many volts are there, the current usage and battery capacity left. There's some trickery involved in getting a lithium battery to properly integrate into the Mustang BMS so it may not be your best option if you want to keep it simple. I've also used the Lithiumax RACE10 for a year, however I liked the Restart9 functionality so I swapped over and I'm now using the RACE10 on another project.

I've been wanting to write up a how to for a while with the lithium batteries and the Battery Management System but I guess there hasn't been too much interest.

Lithumax IOS APP snapshot 02MAR23 1436 .png

Last edited:

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
I hope it all goes well with your setup. I thought I'd add a little more detail on the three OEM amplifier connectors mentioned earlier.

Apologies if the pics are a bit large but I wanted to give you a better view of the connectors.

When I ordered mine I accidentally got the vertical header version for the gray and brown connector which made it slightly more difficult to solder.

Connector 1.jpg
Connector 2.jpg

As you can see in the pics, on the connectors they give an indication which pin corresponds to each number (1/8/9/16). I can verify that this is correct when viewing the schematics seen in the other thread sticky.

Also, I've had great success with installing a Lithium battery and integrating it into the BMS system. This gives you a stable voltage at around 13.2v (car off) which can be very helpful if entering SQ comps, as they can sit there with your car and no engine running for a good half hour or so. There was a couple of times in the past that I worried that I may run out of battery power before the judging finished. Using a Lithium battery in an SQ comp is a game changer because you can keep your system sounding clean right until the end of judging, and it takes only 2-3 mins of engine running to charge it back up to full voltage. As a plus, if you end up going down to full depletion, you start up your app (or open the hood), press a button, and it gives you a reserve capacity to start your engine for a recharge.

The vehicle battery I use is a Lithiumax RESTART9,

https://www.lithiumax.com.au/produc...tooth-900ca-ultra-lite-engine-starter-battery

and it has an excellent IOS/android app that tells you how many volts are there, the current usage and battery capacity left. There's some trickery involved in getting a lithium battery to properly integrate into the Mustang BMS so it may not be your best option if you want to keep it simple. I've also used the Lithiumax RACE10 for a year, however I liked the Restart9 functionality so I swapped over and I'm now using the RACE10 on another project.

I've been wanting to write up a how to for a while with the lithium batteries and the Battery Management System but I guess there hasn't been too much interest.

Lithumax IOS APP snapshot 02MAR23 1436 .png
What steps did you use to get the battery to play nice with the BMS? I had an Antigravity Lithium with restart tech and it played hell with my BMS no matter what I did. I had to return it and stay with AGM.
Sponsored