Sponsored

3.7 Forced induction

USMCtoARMY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6 MT
He did, he did a very good job.
Thats awesome. I am glad it has shown noticable improvement for you as well. I too have ported uppers and lowers with the GT TB. I cant wait to see how they pair up with my twin turbo kit.
Sponsored

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
So I figured it is time to make my first post in this thread!

I am back in a V6 and plan to follow Kody and a few others in a EB turbo swap. My setup is going to be slightly different though as my goal is to use as many OEM components as possible from an gen 1 12-17 3.5 EB. Long ago (with my 15) I identified that the oil and water feed ports for the turbos do exist on the 3.7 block so OEM oil and water feed lines should be able to be used with minimal to no modification. Return line ports are not present but are easy to figure out and again, OEM lines can be used but just modified for the new return locations. As for the exhaust manifolds, I plan to use a set of fully ported gen 1 EB manifolds with custom adapter plates in the hopes of reducing back pressure issues that Kody ran into. Along with the back pressure issue, the exhaust behind the turbo will be 3" with ported or custom exhaust to turbo flanges to further reduce restriction. I am hoping with these mods we can smooth out the issues Kody ran into with is setup.

I am bouncing around with a few FMIC ideas ranging from replacing the radiator assembly in order to use an EB FMIC or just going with a universal FMIC and figure out a way to route the charge pipes to and from. I plan to also use a stock 350 intake box and filter. The setup will be similar to the F150 where in there will be a single airbox and filter that will split off and feed both turbos. Hoping to get away with a manual wastegate boost controller with some upgraded springs in the wastegates instead of an electronic boost controller. Aiming for 8-10 psi on pump gas and 400whp and 450wtq.

Currently working on acquiring the supporting mods for this setup such as the exhaust, adapter plates, airbox, etc... Hope to have more updates in the future!

USMCtoARMY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6 MT
Well...I got good news for the family and I. We got extended in Germany for another 3 years, but this not so good news for my car and my build. However, it may be someone else's gain here. Since my car is in the States and I am here I will have to sell the tein turbo kit I JUST purchased. Also, more than likely selling my car in the near future as well (heck might package everything to include the kit and upgrades). I am telling u all this here before I post it in the sale section in the forum. Give u all first go. PM me if your interested. Kinda bummed on the car tuning front but happy to stay in Europe longer.

Fuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
Why not have the car shipped there? You can finish the project there and test it out on the autobahn. I know it'll probably be impractical to ship the car there and all.

USMCtoARMY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6 MT
Why not have the car shipped there? You can finish the project there and test it out on the autobahn. I know it'll probably be impractical to ship the car there and all.
IF I could have shipped my car over here in the first place I would have....three reasons for this.

1) German law is super strict on modifying your car. The biggest reason I didnt ship it was that I wouldnt have passed inspection to get plated over here. I would spent money to just get it back to factory in order to just drive it i.e. remove tint, put a factory exhaust back on the car, stock air box etc.

2) Military only pays for one vehicle to be shipped. I am not spending another 2.5 grand to ship the car at this point. Just not practical for my family.

3) I dont have a garage. I am forced to live in base housing which are stairwell apartments. No garage, no tools (also in the states), no place to keep it from the elements...point blank I have no space.

Trust me I have already been up and down on this and this was my last option. Once I got extended on my tour this pretty much settled it for the wife and I.

P.S. you dont use the autobahn to test cars...its not what everyone thinks. Only portions have no speed limit and it's just a highway system not a track car system. Though the nuremburg ring would have been nice to run on.

Sponsored

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Realistically, what all additional would be required of the kit and what type of price are you going to list it for? I know the tuning part of course...If I didn't buy wheels and tires already, this would be a lot easier choice haha

USMCtoARMY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6 MT
Realistically, what all additional would be required of the kit and what type of price are you going to list it for? I know the tuning part of course...If I didn't buy wheels and tires already, this would be a lot easier choice haha
The biggest purchase would be the 65lb injectors to run e85. The small things are one bolt that is like 47cents at lowes for the manifolds (was cut off during removal) and a 3.5L manifold gasket which are around $37 or less on eBay (both original gaskets are in the kit but one has a crack).

It includes everything else to plug and play which includes the custom downpipes with O2 sensor extensions (catless), ported manifolds, electronic boost controller, integrated BOV, rebuilt turbos, all the IC piping, IC, custom intercooler mounting brackets to front mount the IC, oil lines, fuel pump, etc. The method of turbo intake is up to you to decide and build. The previous owner ran turbo screens instead of piping to filters...I was never going to do this and I dont recommend you do this. I was going to build my own setup using the JLT brake cooling kit ducts or integrate a design from the f150 setups. Kody ran double walled neoprene tubing to filters if you remember from his build (cheap to do). You also will get the tune to use as a baseline.

I will list this for 2.3k. That will cover my cost for obtaining the kit so I break even. If you did this on your own it would be around 3.5-4K not including your install and tune.

Last edited:

Fuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
That is a total bummer then. I didn't know they were so stricy in Germany. When I said test it out in the autobahn I say it half-heartedly in jest (doesn't seem to translate well over the Internet), I know it is a highway. Nurburgring looks to be quite terrifying tbh. If I could I'd drive on Spa.

USMCtoARMY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6 MT
That is a total bummer then. I didn't know they were so stricy in Germany. When I said test it out in the autobahn I say it half-heartedly in jest (doesn't seem to translate well over the Internet), I know it is a highway. Nurburgring looks to be quite terrifying tbh. If I could I'd drive on Spa.
No worries brother. I was just answering your inquiry lol. AND I forgot to add no e85 here.

Last edited:

USMCtoARMY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6 MT
@zackmd1 doing some research on your EB IC idea and the more I read your going to have to look at something aftermarket for your build I think. The ecoboost guys say stock the IC is absolutely terrible and one of the first upgrades they make and if your goals are 400 you will need something better. I want to know the FMIC the procharger crew runs. That IC looks like a perfect option from a design and aesthetic standpoint.

Sponsored

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
@zackmd1 doing some research on your EB IC idea and the more I read your going to have to look at something aftermarket for your build I think. The ecoboost guys say stock the IC is absolutely terrible and one of the first upgrades they make and if your goals are 400 you will need something better. I want to know the FMIC the procharger crew runs. That IC looks like a perfect option from a design and aesthetic standpoint.
Yea the plan would have been to go with an aftermarket IC designed for the EB. I liked how the EB routed its charge pipes under the rad. With that said, the more I looked into how much it would cost to convert to the EB rad (everything has to change, rad, condenser, fans, etc...) it would be prohibitively expensive then just going with a universal IC.

With all of that said, I am bouncing back and forth now between the turbo setup and going with my concept of using a twin screw/roots blower on the 3.7. The more I look into the eaton m90 gen V (latest and most efficient m90 produced, was used as a supercharger for the 4.6 for a few years) I am thinking it might just be feasible with minimal weight penalty (unlike the turbo setup which would likely add 100 or so lbs to the nose). The other benifit to the M90 is that they are readily available on ebay for around $300. The downside is little to no hope of fitting it under the stock hood.

USMCtoARMY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6 MT
Yea the plan would have been to go with an aftermarket IC designed for the EB. I liked how the EB routed its charge pipes under the rad. With that said, the more I looked into how much it would cost to convert to the EB rad (everything has to change, rad, condenser, fans, etc...) it would be prohibitively expensive then just going with a universal IC.

With all of that said, I am bouncing back and forth now between the turbo setup and going with my concept of using a twin screw/roots blower on the 3.7. The more I look into the eaton m90 gen V (latest and most efficient m90 produced, was used as a supercharger for the 4.6 for a few years) I am thinking it might just be feasible with minimal weight penalty (unlike the turbo setup which would likely add 100 or so lbs to the nose). The other benifit to the M90 is that they are readily available on ebay for around $300. The downside is little to no hope of fitting it under the stock hood.
The only gentleman I know of who was attempting this just gave up the project over on the FB V6 forums. He is selling is almost completed project for around 1200 I think. Most if the fab work is completed and form what he said all it needs is minimal work to include making a custom IC. It had a hood that closed too with a small like 2 inch premade hood scoop. Honestly do not think this is the way bro. The ecoboost idea will be cheaper if done correctly. The biggest hurdle is that downpipe and proper tuning.

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
The only gentleman I know of who was attempting this just gave up the project over on the FB V6 forums. He is selling is almost completed project for around 1200 I think. Most if the fab work is completed and form what he said all it needs is minimal work to include making a custom IC. It had a hood that closed too with a small like 2 inch premade hood scoop. Honestly do not think this is the way bro. The ecoboost idea will be cheaper if done correctly. The biggest hurdle is that downpipe and proper tuning.
I saw that build as well. Quite honestly there was alot in that build that likely would not work.... The belt routing had me concerned the most.

The biggest downside to the roots idea is the upfront fabrication effort which can get expensive real quick. The turbos are more or less a bolt on mod. I have access to a full machine shop at work however which would allow me to complete a more complicated fabrication effort with minimal cost.

The benefit to the roots idea would be the ability to work on it a bit at a time without taking the car down. That is a big benefit when the car is your daily driver... It is much less invasive to the engine than a turbo setup would be. No need to worry about oil feed and return lines or water lines for that matter ( IC loop would be separate). Also no need to worry about charge pipe routing or custom exhaust downpipes, etc... In all, you are likely correct in that the roots idea would be more expensive then the turbos because of the fabrication effort and the requirement for either hood modifications or a new hood entirely but the benefit of being less invasive to the engine and not having to take the car down for a period of time while I fabricate the setup is a big plus. Like I said though, still debating and researching on which would be the best way to go for my needs.

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
If you want to move on it quickly, AMR just posted up a JMP twin turbo kit for $4500 (needs fuel pump and injectors) including their tunes for life. Sounds like a sweet deal to me, just not something I can jump on right now. Brand new set, but original made 567whp on E85.

48429845_10217462749711666_9070774971269120000_n.jpg?_nc_cat=103&_nc_ht=scontent.fmia1-1.jpg

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
Wish I could move on that as well.... Bit too expensive for me as well.
Sponsored