Sponsored

3.7 Forced induction

USMCtoARMY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6 MT
It's a different line where you have to worry about leaks, the pump, and heatsoaking under daily driving. What really pushes me away is the cost compared to air/air cooling.

If you are worried about pressure drop, get bigger turbos. I haven't gone to supersix because the stock turbos are inefficient for what I want.
The stock turbos are good for a budget build
It's a different line where you have to worry about leaks, the pump, and heatsoaking under daily driving. What really pushes me away is the cost compared to air/air cooling.

If you are worried about pressure drop, get bigger turbos. I haven't gone to supersix because the stock turbos are inefficient for what I want.
The issue isnt pressure drop it's too much back pressure and it's not solely because of the turbo but due to the inherent difference between the 3.5 and 3.7L engines. The stock turbos aren't bad just small and therefore limited. But this speaks to why I think doing the super six kit in conjunction with the drop in Borg Warner GT turbos you will alleviate the upper RPM band fall off. But for most they are perfectly suited to an aggressive street application just not a track screamer. But yeah if your goals are big then obviously not for that type of person.
Sponsored

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
The issue isnt pressure drop it's too much back pressure and it's not solely because of the turbo but due to the inherent difference between the 3.5 and 3.7L engines. The stock turbos aren't bad just small and therefore limited. But this speaks to why I think doing the super six kit in conjunction with the drop in Borg Warner GT turbos you will alleviate the upper RPM band fall off. But for most they are perfectly suited to an aggressive street application just not a track screamer. But yeah if your goals are big then obviously not for that type of person.
The problem certinaly isn't directly related to pressure drop but if everything is being done that can be done on the back pressure side (short of replacing the turbos) then it does not hurt to gain a bit on the pressure side. A liquid to air intercooler coupled with ported intakes, ported exhaust manifolds, and 3 inch downpipes might smooth out that power band a bit more and eliminate upper RPM dropoff (at least to 6500.... we really only need to gain an extra 1000 RPM as compared to a setup with stock downpipes/cats, unported manifolds, and unported intakes)

Ramn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang V6, 2007 Ninja ZX-6R
All I basically want to do is change the exit angle of a pair of shorty headers and attach 3in downpipes. The rest of the setup would be a carbon copy of the sourced supersix parts. I want to tackle this, but can't until I move and learn to weld lol.

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
Well.... My plans just took a drastic turn today.... Found these locally for a price I could not pass up. Got both turbos (from a 2016 F150, About 50k miles on them), both manifolds, both stock downpipe adapters (will either modify them or use them as templates) and associated bolts for $350. Turbos look good, have no play in the shaft. I think I will run them as is unless I discover an oil leak issue. I will rebuild them if that is the case.

Now beings the work of planning out the rest of the system. Sucks that the M90 project does not get to happen now but again, this was to good of a price to pass up! Plan to keep my build on pump gas and likely will go with a liquid to air intercooler and port the exhaust manifolds.
IMG_20190118_163050.jpg
IMG_20190118_163124.jpg
IMG_20190118_163147.jpg

USMCtoARMY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6 MT
The 2016s are a better turbo all around and so are the manifolds from that year. However all the ecoboost guys say they cant be put into gen 1 builds. Wonder how that will play in? I think you got some good components for the start of a good build....just to a dyno tune through a speed shop and not a remote tune if it can be helped. Can't wait to see your project.

But Zack back to your intercooler question...the setup using air cooled is already there and presently been used and tested. I dont see the potential for water outweighing what's proven and not hard to achieve already.

Can we please get a @Moderator to sticky this post for us please.

Sponsored

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
I am not seeing where things are different enough to not fit on previous cars. The guy I bought them from said that the 15-16 turbos are slightly larger then previous years but that they are still gen 1. 2017 is when gen 2 came on the scene. The manifolds are certainly different for the gen 2s.

I have toyed with the idea of seeing if I can get gen 1 turbos bolted to gen 2 manifolds. Gen 2 manifolds have a different flange on the cylinder head side but I'm not sure if the turbo flange is different or if it mounts the turbos in a slightly different location...

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
Gen 2 manifolds....
Gen2-F150-3.5L-2-1024x576.jpg

Rocketboy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 Roush RS Magnetic Metallic
We will be installing our NPG kit shortly onto our shop car.
Hope to see this. But, as always it’s all about price and ease of installation. Please keep us posted.

USMCtoARMY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6 MT
I am not seeing where things are different enough to not fit on previous cars. The guy I bought them from said that the 15-16 turbos are slightly larger then previous years but that they are still gen 1. 2017 is when gen 2 came on the scene. The manifolds are certainly different for the gen 2s.

I have toyed with the idea of seeing if I can get gen 1 turbos bolted to gen 2 manifolds. Gen 2 manifolds have a different flange on the cylinder head side but I'm not sure if the turbo flange is different or if it mounts the turbos in a slightly different location...
Sorry confusing the years. The turbos are different in each variation from the 2011-2012 / 2013 -2014 / 2015-2016 and so on. The differences range from the way flanges connect due to changes in the manifolds (earlier manifolds almost always experienced heat warping), deletion of internal BOVs, slightly bigger compressor housings, etc. Your right gen 2 is 2017+. What u have will work well, but port those manifolds!

Last edited:

Sponsored

USMCtoARMY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6 MT
We are installing one of out NPG kits, and with a Comp Oiless Turbo the install is even easier. We will make a full how to install video as well.
That will be killer.

Rocketboy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 Roush RS Magnetic Metallic
We are installing one of out NPG kits, and with a Comp Oiless Turbo the install is even easier. We will make a full how to install video as well.
This is what I have been waiting for! Cross our fingers for great results and pricing.

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
Anyone ever consider using flexible pressure rated hose for charge pipes? Would greatly simplify the install.

USMCtoARMY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6 MT
Anyone ever consider using flexible pressure rated hose for charge pipes? Would greatly simplify the install.
There is nothing wrong with using an industrial strength application that is dually heat and pressure rated. If your able to get it at a good cost then no issue. Question is will it be cheaper than just grabbing some stock charge piping off an f150 ecoboost and modifying it with some silicone couplers and piping from like siliconeintakes.com or if you have the material fabricate your own custom piping.

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
There is nothing wrong with using an industrial strength application that is dually heat and pressure rated. If your able to get it at a good cost then no issue. Question is will it be cheaper than just grabbing some stock charge piping off an f150 ecoboost and modifying it with some silicone couplers and piping from like siliconeintakes.com or if you have the material fabricate your own custom piping.
McMaster has a few options that would be cheaper and are rated at 200+ degrees F.
Sponsored