3.7 Forced induction

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
That being said, getting some basic dimensions today, I estimate about 6.25" between the top of the fuel rail and bottom of the hood with the engine lowered .5". An M90 is 5.25" tall. With an adapter between the M90 and lower intake there might be just enough space.
Sponsored

USMCtoARMY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6 MT
Well 3inch downpipe no issues with the ecoboost setup. This guy is supposed to get his car back from the shop in the next week or so I'm looking forward to his videos and impressions since he essentially has exactly the same setup as the one I purchased minus this one having the meth injection and I have the GT TB. He is tuning for 93 too.

Last edited:

USMCtoARMY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6 MT
The price of Nautilus single turbo TUNER KIT is priced right above 5 grand right now. This doesn't include the injectors or fuel pump. But that's soo much better than the 8 grand originally posted by Auto Mafia.

Now something that @zackmd1 has mentioned a few times intrigues me and frustrates me at the same time. Its the Sprintex Twin blower setup for the Penstar 3.6L family of engine applications. The Sprintex package is so well priced, COMPLETE, at around 5 grand. I emailed them last year and asked why they don't make an application for the 3.7L since the engines are similarly laid out, but all they would tell me is they would sell me just the blower and supporting bits to do a self fabrication.....man I wish they would just make on for our cars. That package is quite nice.

Speaking of which @zackmd1 did you see that the guy in the facebook S550 V6 group dropped his M90 blower project down to 1000 OBO. What is your take on his attempt? Personally I do not think his pulley system would work very well.

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
I emailed sprintex as well about a year ago... They told me that at the end of 2018 they were going to be re-evaluating their product line and would be removing/adding support. That's the closest answer I got to them working on a 3.7 setup.

In terms of what I saw on Facebook, I have two major issues... The first is what you said, his belt routing is not good. Everyone I have seen attempt a blower install on the 3.7 either try to work around the thermostat housing or even go through it for belt routing. No one has considered removing the housing entirely. Doing so would free up the front of the engine and allow the supercharger to be run from the main belt drive. Second issue I have is that it's to tall with a lot of wasted space.

The key to my setup is that I will be using a transverse NA 3.5 intake and fuel rail. The intake removes the center coolant return and instead routes coolant return out the back of the engine. That coupled with a remote thermostat housing will allow me to eliminate the stock casting and free up the front of the engine. I am also using the fuel rail as it should allow me to mount the blower about an inch lower.

The idea is to have a test non-intercooled variant running around 6-7 psi that fits under the stock hood with no other mods and then move to a intercooled variant with either an aftermarket hood or engine mounts.

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
There's just something crazy to me about the potential difference between these superchargers and the turbo setups. Superchargers seems to take cars from 2XX to 3XX (Procharger will be 4XX) while the turbo now just throws you right up to 5XX (all pump gas). For the cost, it just seems like there is no reason other than proven reliability and ease of install/support (aka really big reasons) not to do turbo.

Sponsored

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
There's just something crazy to me about the potential difference between these superchargers and the turbo setups. Superchargers seems to take cars from 2XX to 3XX (Procharger will be 4XX) while the turbo now just throws you right up to 5XX (all pump gas). For the cost, it just seems like there is no reason other than proven reliability and ease of install/support (aka really big reasons) not to do turbo.
The thing to remember about superchargers is that they are a parasitic loss. They require a certain amount of power to drive. The M90 requires about 50hp to drive at full RPM which would produce around 10-12psi on the 3.7.

Turbos are the more efficient but more difficult to install.

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
To add to my previous statement....

Turbos are a pain due to the required custom charge pipes, custom exhaust down pipes, oil feed and return lines, water feed and return lines, BOV, wastegate hoses, etc.... This M90 is literally going to be dropping it on top the engine and routing the belt. (supporting mods not included such as the coolant routing mods, etc) It will be far easier to install and remove if needed.

USMCtoARMY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6 MT
I completely agree. The only supercharger setup I would consider is the sprintex or rippd, which both are for the 3.6L penstar applications ranging from the wrangler to the challenger. For 5k you get everything from the SC, the intercooler, and tuner. Just one problem....nobody makes one for us lol. They make great gains....but I have to say I'm all about the turbo when u factor in HP/TQ gains for the money.

As much as I admire Zack for wanting to do this route I dont see it being cheap and i dont see it being viable....cause IMO someone would have already done this by now. I was really hoping I could go after this EcoBoost build of mine and see what I get out of it for the cost but alas not in the cards. The guy in the video i posted though gives me something to see though. I hope it works out the way I think it will and we will have some results for everyone to think about.

USMCtoARMY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6 MT
We will be installing our NPG kit shortly onto our shop car.
An s550 or s197? I think this kit money based on the numbers. I also followed the development of this kit for awhile. Probably the best kit I have seen for our cars....dont get me wrong I am sure Jack's setups are awesome too I jut have never seen actual photos of his on our cars.

Sponsored

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
Question for those considering 3.5 turbos....

Has anyone considered liquid to air intercoolers? Would simplify charge pipe routing and optimize heat exchanger location while also decreasing pressure drop between the turbo and TB. Might help a bit with top end drop off?

Ramn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang V6, 2007 Ninja ZX-6R
Question for those considering 3.5 turbos....

Has anyone considered liquid to air intercoolers? Would simplify charge pipe routing and optimize heat exchanger location while also decreasing pressure drop between the turbo and TB. Might help a bit with top end drop off?
That would be another headache to tackle on its own. The drop in pressure is one part of reducing temperatures.

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
That would be another headache to tackle on its own. The drop in pressure is one part of reducing temperatures.
How so? Yes liquid to air is not as efficient as air to air in charge air cooling but cooling is not our issue. Pressure is... A slight increase in IAT for the benifit of minimal pressure drop might just be worth it.

Ramn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang V6, 2007 Ninja ZX-6R
How so? Yes liquid to air is not as efficient as air to air in charge air cooling but cooling is not our issue. Pressure is... A slight increase in IAT for the benifit of minimal pressure drop might just be worth it.
It's a different line where you have to worry about leaks, the pump, and heatsoaking under daily driving. What really pushes me away is the cost compared to air/air cooling.

If you are worried about pressure drop, get bigger turbos. I haven't gone to supersix because the stock turbos are inefficient for what I want.

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
It's a different line where you have to worry about leaks, the pump, and heatsoaking under daily driving. What really pushes me away is the cost compared to air/air cooling.

If you are worried about pressure drop, get bigger turbos. I haven't gone to supersix because the stock turbos are inefficient for what I want.
The point of going with 3.5 turbos is the ease of install and (relativly speaking) cheap cost. Yes all issues would be resolved with bigger turbos...
Sponsored