Sponsored

3/4" vs. 13/16" Lug-Nuts

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
The proper Gorilla lug nuts for our cars are 61148CXs (chromed) or 61148BCXs (black), like the ones I bought. The conical surface area is actually larger than stock, so no issues there. And they're basically the same size, so a true OEM replacement.

Last edited:

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
if you zoom into your photo, the 61148CX is printed right on the side of the lug nut!!

1610485763115.png

So now I got Gorilla nuts, don't know what to think.. Like the OEM the best, if they start to self destruct these will replace them. Until then paper weights. dust collectors. ...................... conversional piece who knows?

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KB GT, 401A, 6MT, PP1, S&S, MR, AE, B&O / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
To each his own, everyone loves Gorilla guessing its the word Gorilla, sounds macho.

The idea that anything almost fits, comes close to is not an acceptable option. Unwilling to accept that as a product spec, as said to each his own.

Just for grins these are steeda lugs look factory to me. BTW are 13/16 and listed as a factory replacement part.

IMG_0042.jpeg
If you zoom in, you'll note that those say "Gorilla" on the side.

EDIT: Fly2High beat me to it.

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So now I got Gorilla nuts, don't know what to think.. Like the OEM the best, if they start to self destruct these will replace them. Until then paper weights. dust collectors. ...................... conversional piece who knows?
Just put them on your car. Don't wait for corrosion to separate the outer shell from the stock nuts (assuming Ford still uses the two piece design) or for chromed solid OEM nuts to start looking crappy.

I have the same Gorilla 61148CX ones on my car at the moment. They fit perfectly in the stock wheels on my PP1 as well as in the Ford Performance Boss 302 wheels I use for my winter set.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Just put them on your car. Don't wait for corrosion to separate the outer shell from the stock nuts (assuming Ford still uses the two piece design) or for chromed solid OEM nuts to start looking crappy.

I have the same Gorilla 61148CX ones on my car at the moment. They fit perfectly in the stock wheels on my PP1 as well as in the Ford Performance Boss 302 wheels I use for my winter set.
No ... our reasoning for the cover failure is very different. The rust thing had not read that one yet, then again I don't drive on salty roads either.

I'm on the side of the line that says, use of an impact is the problem here.

And it's how the tool is being used . Pulling & holding the trigger in, not letting up , hammering on the nut, will destroy the cap.

I' ll use an impact removal, few short 2 - 3 sec burst will knock it loose, and free spin off. On, turn down the air pressure, snug, & finish off with 150 scoops of torque.

If wrong and they actually do self destruct, got me some GOrilla nuts at the ready.

LMAO

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I' ll use an impact removal, few short 2 - 3 sec burst will knock it loose, and free spin off.
An impact gun? Who needs one? A 24" breaker bar and a Dad bod works wonders!

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
I'm on the side of the line that says, use of an impact is the problem here.
I disagree. I've had Fords for years and years and until a couple years ago I only used a breaker bar or a 4 way and the lug nuts still self destructed. I've changed out my Edge and Mustang to solid lugs. The only reason I haven't changed the Fusion is I've got all the take offs to replace the ones that crap out.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I disagree. I've had Fords for years and years and until a couple years ago I only used a breaker bar or a 4 way and the lug nuts still self destructed. I've changed out my Edge and Mustang to solid lugs. The only reason I haven't changed the Fusion is I've got all the take offs to replace the ones that crap out.
This is my first new Ford, the other 2 are 80 years old, keeping the caped for now, like the peaks .

Screen Shot 2021-01-13 at 12.03.09 PM.png

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
I too have a PP2 and daily my car. I guess this is a major advantage for me, when it comes to lug nuts. The way I see it, having to swap tires/wheels between my summer and winter sets allows me to keep a close eye on the lug nuts and replace when things start to show rust or damage. I already have a set of Gorilla 41148HT for my aftermarket since they have narrower lug seats and lug pockets. Will see how they hold up being a winter only lug nut set.

Sponsored

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I too have a PP2 and daily my car. I guess this is a major advantage for me, when it comes to lug nuts. The way I see it, having to swap tires/wheels between my summer and winter sets allows me to keep a close eye on the lug nuts and replace when things start to show rust or damage. I already have a set of Gorilla 41148HT for my aftermarket since they have narrower lug seats and lug pockets. Will see how they hold up being a winter only lug nut set.
Frank

Nice ride that PP2, I rotate tires when changing the oil. So if these things self destruct will know pronto.

Just have a little more faith in the American engineering, then so many today.

Not one to blindly assume the worst and swap good for the latest fad.
These Mustangs are mighty fine ... PP2s even better LMAO.

Greg

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
This is my first new Ford, the other 2 are 80 years old, keeping the caped for now, like the peaks .

The Mustang technecly didn't need to be changed but a couple of the caps were getting loose. I didn't really like the silver lugs with the black wheels and the locks Ford supplied looked clunky and out of place. I went with the Gorilla locking set below and have been happy with the look and fitment.
Screenshot_20210113-134519_Amazon Shopping.jpg
Screenshot_20200712-150614_Gallery.jpg

Changed the silver ponys too.

20201226_162303.jpg

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The Mustang technecly didn't need to be changed but a couple of the caps were getting loose. I didn't really like the silver lugs with the black wheels and the locks Ford supplied looked clunky and out of place. I went with the Gorilla locking set below and have been happy with the look and fitment.
Screenshot_20210113-134519_Amazon Shopping.jpg
Screenshot_20200712-150614_Gallery.jpg

Changed the silver ponys too.

20201226_162303.jpg
Might look clunky on your ride, but certainly not on mine. Those caliper covers ain't helping eighter.

Take a closer look at the detail of the wheel & lugs. Not trying to convince you of anything, no need to, the visual says it all.
Sponsored