Sponsored

2nd Car

17Magnetic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 premium mustang gt black accent package
Not really a versus but figured this would be a good spot to post as there are a lot of comparisons in this thread. So I’m looking at getting a second car for commuting and long trips. I wanted to get a pickup for the functionality but I feel they have gotten overpriced even in the used market. I’m looking for something that will be reliable but also have decent power. Also for road trips it would be nice to have a lot of the new comforts such as lane keep, adapative cruise, etc. my big thing though is power as I want something that will be fast. I’m not sure what’s out on the market right now as I have been in the V8 world so long and I think I’m probably looking at something with 4 or 6 cylinders with a turbo to meet my needs. Also I don’t want to spend a crazy amount as I’m going to be putting a lot of miles on it and preferably 2020+ so I can have some warranty left.
Sponsored

2016S550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shopping
Everything 2020+ is going to be stupid expensive still. They are not for everyone but a base Hyundai Santa Cruz may fit your bill. But to get the higher power Turbo you may have to buy the higher trim. I’m not a fan of their DCT transmissions but they have plenty of low end power. A 2020+ Tacoma would be close to new pricing and down on power…

Kachøw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
You're not likely to get something that's 2020+, fast, practical, and cheap all in one car.

What's your budget? That would help narrow your options down.

I don't need a truck so if I was to get a commuter that wouldn't destroy my savings, I would personally look at the new Prius. Something I never thought I'd say in a million years, but the new gen looks great imo. The Civic is also a great option.

RAV 4 Prime is probably the best overall option from a price/practicality/power standpoint, but last I heard, it's still very difficult to get one.

RagmopInKona

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang HHP
A Ranger , it is a p/u it is fast for a 2.3 turbo'd truck. isn't stupid expensive like the f trucks are. has all the nanny controls if you are into that.
I'd skip any Kia or hyundai as tic tik showed everyone how easy they are to take for joy rides.
Sadly anything 2020 or newer is going to hurt the wallet.

Sariandan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang EcoBoost
If you can find one in your price range, I'll second the Ranger. I had a 2021 XLT and loved it. Plenty of room in the cab; the 2.3 EcoBoost provides plenty of power for the truck and is easily moddable without sacrificing driveability.

I'm not still in it because I tried the Rolling Through the Marsh Mod. If you're not familiar with it, it's when you're driving during a tropical storm with no weight in the back, the wind picks up the rear of the truck just enough to break traction, and you don't recover the spin before rolling it over twice through the trees, rocks, and mud.

The truck kept me safe during this fun activity, but unfortunately, it was a total loss.

Sponsored

OP
OP

17Magnetic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 premium mustang gt black accent package
Update on this. I decided I’m getting a Mid-size truck but prices used are insane. I may go for the 2023 canyon which comes with a factory lift and looks pretty darn good.

Bulldog9

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt, 2017 Tundra TRDPRO, 1976 Porsche 912
Honda Civic 5 door hatch. Sport manual trim.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Not really a versus but figured this would be a good spot to post as there are a lot of comparisons in this thread. So I’m looking at getting a second car for commuting and long trips. I wanted to get a pickup for the functionality but I feel they have gotten overpriced even in the used market. I’m looking for something that will be reliable but also have decent power. Also for road trips it would be nice to have a lot of the new comforts such as lane keep, adapative cruise, etc. my big thing though is power as I want something that will be fast. I’m not sure what’s out on the market right now as I have been in the V8 world so long and I think I’m probably looking at something with 4 or 6 cylinders with a turbo to meet my needs. Also I don’t want to spend a crazy amount as I’m going to be putting a lot of miles on it and preferably 2020+ so I can have some warranty left.
I like my GR86 a lot. Base is less than $30K brand new. It gets decent fuel economy and is very practical as an every day commuter in my opinion. It's not fast, but it's faster than pickups for way less money.

I do need a pickup for some things, but I have a 1999 F250 super duty. It does what I need and it was $5k. 240,000+ miles on it, but it works just fine. I don't drive it a lot, just when I need to haul, plow, tow, etc. Pickups are going to be in the mid to low teens in MPG, so driving one for longer trips seems impractical to me unless you need to tow something.

UncleSams_SVT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500
My daily is a Raptor.......bought before the market went stupid.

Be patient as the market should come back down to reality.

JustSomeGuy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JustSomeGuy
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
An inexpensive fast reliable good mpg comfortable sporty four door pickup that’s got lots of features…

Sponsored

AZlb5.0

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carlos
Vehicle(s)
18 GT Premium
For years I did a ton of commuting for what I did and I baught a Buick Verano. Not powerful by any means but definitely great. No worries, 0 break downs, great gas mileage, very dependable, other than your basic maintenance . Put 200K miles on that car in a matter of 4 yrs and never left me stranded anywhere. Oh and the ride was very comfortable.

Virnman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Oxford White 2019 GT Premium Vert 401A A10
Vehicle Showcase
I just sold my 2020 Tacoma -got stupid $$ in only 3 days - & picked up a new Grabber Blue (ok Surf Blue) Soul to bomb around in. Car is pretty fun & I can fetch people from the airport….the Vert not so much

F0A36109-987E-4504-B7A0-6E41EF0369A5.jpeg

forearmplow

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent Bullock
Vehicle(s)
mecedes
You're not likely to get something that's 2020+, fast, practical, and cheap all in one car.

What's your budget? That would help narrow your options down.

I don't need a truck so if I was to get a commuter that wouldn't destroy my savings, I would personally look at the new Prius. Something I never thought I'd say in a million years, but the new gen looks great imo. The Civic is also a great option.
mapquest directions
RAV 4 Prime is probably the best overall option from a price/practicality/power standpoint, but last I heard, it's still very difficult to get one.
You don’t need to write a dedication at all

Traffic22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 Raptor, 2011 Ford CV Lemons Race Car
My daily is a Raptor.......bought before the market went stupid.

Be patient as the market should come back down to reality.
Me too, bought a used 2018 before prices went crazy. I don’t think most people realize what an amazing long hauler they are. Super comfortable, plenty of power, and huge fuel tank.

I’m a third vote for a newer ranger. Decent size, great amenities, and you can put a FRPP tune on them and they make awesome power.

And of course not as crazy expensive as the F series. (Lot more practical to park too.)

ToughSpecs

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Edge
I’ve been looking to replace my 2008 CRV with something newer, but it just really doesn’t make any sense right now. Just spent the money to replace the whole suspension and that was less than tax and title paperwork would be for anything newer I’d buy.
Sponsored