2JZ Swapped S550 First Drive

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
From my past experience, this seems to be the way most foolish swaps end up. I know I have done a few like that.
Sponsored

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
From my past experience, this seems to be the way most foolish swaps end up. I know I have done a few like that.
I'd have loved to have seen him really build the 2.3 to something like 500HP, which is easily attainable. Then he would have had a fully functioning car, and not a Frankenstein-hoopty.

I like watching Trevor's channel, but he's waaay too caught-up in the JDM scene to have gotten into building a Mustang.

Sins550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang 5.0 PP
And it's back up and running really well. Good job on the 2j S550! Definitely cool.

Deleted member

To be fair he had the thing rebuilt and running on the track again within 2 days.

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
Is it even possible to get something like that registered or emission tested?

Sponsored

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
I'm pretty certain that's not road-legal. Although he does drive it on the road......so, dunno.

tokuzumi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Escalade ESV
I'll have to check this video out later. I like this guy's channel. He built an AWD turbo Civic recently that had about 600hp.

This Mustang is the pure definition of a hot rod. Definitely a polarizing swap, but if you have the skills, why not try it?

The Wrench Every Day channel with Tavarish and Jared are shoe-horning a 2JZ into a 90s 300ZX. Now the 300ZX engine bay is tight. They're gonna have a fight to get everything working properly.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Depends on the state. In NJ they hook up to your obd2 port. If everything is showing ready. You pass. Other states may use an old fashioned sniffer? But provided he has the before and after o2 sensors hooked up. It should pass.

tokuzumi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Escalade ESV
I know in GA they would just plug into the OBD2 port, check to make sure the CEL light isn't illuminated, check the gas cap, and maybe do a visual inspection for the catalytic converters. As long as all of the above are ok, you get a pass.

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
I haven't watched this, but if you're interested in all things cars and not just Mustangs, I found a fabulous build by two guys in the UK who took a classic Mini and put the running gear from a Toyota Celica ST185 GT4 under it, all while staying within the confines of the Mini bodywork. Incredible fabrication skills. Search "Project Binky" on YouTube.

Sponsored

tokuzumi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Escalade ESV
The level of details and overthinking in the Project Binky build are mind blowing. It's going to be amazing if it ever gets completed. They've been working on it for over 2 years. I think it just went out for paint in the last episode.

Ecoboosted

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Mustang GT, 19' Road Glide
I haven't watched this, but if you're interested in all things cars and not just Mustangs, I found a fabulous build by two guys in the UK who took a classic Mini and put the running gear from a Toyota Celica ST185 GT4 under it, all while staying within the confines of the Mini bodywork. Incredible fabrication skills. Search "Project Binky" on YouTube.
Thanks for mentioning this. I watched the first 7 or 8 episodes. Yes their fabrication skills are awesome.

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
The level of details and overthinking in the Project Binky build are mind blowing. It's going to be amazing if it ever gets completed. They've been working on it for over 2 years. I think it just went out for paint in the last episode.
Yes, the body has gone for paint. As regards the time for the build, you have to remember that this is a side project for them, they do have a race and rally prep shop to run.

OP
OP
Lawguy85

Lawguy85

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
'21 Mach 1 FJG

AZ_whippleS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang GT
Man alot of these people in here are haters Yeah the engine blew but it wasn't a new engine it was a race motor that has been thrashed on for something like 5 years before he swapped it into the mustang, on all stock internals. I'm not surprised it eventually failed most stock engines will under high boost after a while. Also on why he didn't build the 2.3 they dont hold a ton of power reliably without some decent money put into them and he had the 2j he could do for free.
Sponsored