Kermut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach M5413
Hey all

I'm on the verge of ordering a M1 from Zach, and I probably will, but I'm a bit frustrated at the fact that the car won't likely be around till October, when MY2022 ordering is taking place with scheduled delivery in Feb 2022 (MY2022 ordering/production info from this thread: https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/2022my-mustang-information.161594/). Right now I drive a MX-5 Miata, which I love, but my wife wants me to have a 4 seat car to help with the toddler (Miata pre-dates the kid), and I want to take advantage of the used car pricing bubble while it lasts.

Long story short, order now, or wait for 2022, and what do you think (if anything) the 2022 will offer over the 2021? I think it's fairly safe to assume there will be color change options; the only feature I can see being added I would be a bit salty about missing out on would be a radar unit in the front fascia to enable the Smart & Safe adaptive cruise control. But with the pandemic, I see most of the development effort being put towards the MY2023 redesign.
Sponsored

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
I'd never let any cruise control variant dictate a car buying decision. Do you take numerous, lengthy trips?

OP
OP
Kermut

Kermut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach M5413
I'd never let any cruise control variant dictate a car buying decision. Do you take numerous, lengthy trips?
It's going to be my primary car for the immediate future and unfortunately I have a 42 mile commute on the interstate (round trip). I agree that alone isn't enough to warrant waiting for a new MY and I doubt I'll wait. Just interested to see others speculation

No crystal ball here but prevailing wisdom in this environment is to get what you can now. 2022 price increases most likely will be pretty steep.

Not a ethical answer but order now and make the decision when the car gets closer to being produced.
I could do that, but I agree it's kind of a d- move and I would lose my $1k deposit, but if something major happened (lost my job, house burned down, etc) I would likely cancel. Any source on the price increase, or just your guess?

Have you and your wife looked at any Mustang with regard to ease of access to a child safety seat in the back?
One of my favorite articles of all time: https://jalopnik.com/2013-ford-mustang-gt-will-it-baby-5979782

Numerous posters around here have pictures of their kids in their S550's. I am not claiming it is an ideal car for kids. It will be for sure extra effort versus a crossover or sedan. But since I'm really backup duty (my wife drives a newer Outback), and I've been dealing with the limitations of dailying a freakin Miata for the past 5 years haha, I am not unduly concerned.

Sponsored

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
For a 21 mile drive each way, personally, it'd never cross my mind. NY to CA, I might try it here or there. Beyond that, regular cruise and putting trust in myself instead of control module programming works just fine. But hey, to each his own.

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Audi S6, 2021 Mach 1 'M1985'
Go take a trip to the closest dealer that has a mustang on the lot and have your kids try getting in and out of the back. I wouldnā€™t want to deal with that unless it was an absolute emergency. As others have said, if it were me Iā€™d order now and hope for the best with wait times. If the last 18 months have been any indication I would not count on anything a year from now. There could be even more supply chain issues. Another virus from China. Who knows. Earlier this year I would have guessed some color changes for next year but with everything screwed up and Ford probably looking ahead to a redesign I wouldnā€™t be surprised to see the Mach 1 unchanged for its final year.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
I would be willing to place a small wager that there will be no mechanical differences in MY22. Kind of like the 19ā€™ & 20ā€™ Bullitt. Add into that all of the COVID related issues and the current market, better to order now and wait to see if anything changes. .

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Don't count on the 22 getting anything new. It's already a pretty loaded GT so I'm not sure what else that would be added.

The Bullitt had a price increase on the final year and gained nothing.

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
Don't count on the 22 getting anything new. It's already a pretty loaded GT so I'm not sure what else that would be added.

The Bullitt had a price increase on the final year and gained nothing.
The 2nd year of the bullitt gained the gas guzzler tax

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
only 20mi commute each way? In Okie no less? I wish I was so lucky. I doubt if you ordered today you'd see it before Thanksgiving. Wait till aug/sep and by then we'll know (or have hints) that there might be some color options -assuming you don't like any of the MY21.

Is there some reason you have a desire for a M1?

My bet is 2023 S650 isn't going to happen and pushed till 2024 if not '25 if not just scrapped altogether.

stageron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ronnie
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 M2559, Lexus NX300
I would be willing to place a small wager that there will be no mechanical differences in MY22. Kind of like the 19ā€™ & 20ā€™ Bullitt. Add into that all of the COVID related issues and the current market, better to order now and wait to see if anything changes. .
I totally agree, I'd bet the only difference you'll see is a price increase. I'll bet the color palette stays as is also.

OP
OP
Kermut

Kermut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach M5413
only 20mi commute each way? In Okie no less? I wish I was so lucky. I doubt if you ordered today you'd see it before Thanksgiving. Wait till aug/sep and by then we'll know (or have hints) that there might be some color options -assuming you don't like any of the MY21.

Is there some reason you have a desire for a M1?

My bet is 2023 S650 isn't going to happen and pushed till 2024 if not '25 if not just scrapped altogether.
So, my wife really wants me to get a car that can carry the kid(s) in a pinch, and she wants me to do that soon. Regrettably I can't do that in the Miata. So I do need to have at least 2+2 seating. I've been looking at GT350's because the engine sounded so sexy but then Ford in their infinite wisdom stopping making them and used prices went nuts (my original plan was to get a lightly used 2018/2019 for ~$45k).

After the GT350 plan fell through I figured I would buy a new GT Premium, since used prices for all Mustangs are crazy, and that would keep me in the $40-50k price range. I test drove a used 2020 GT premium to get a feel for the car, and to be frank I thought it was about 90% as much fun as my Miata. Cool sounding engine, but the handling and transmission were sorta meh. Which wasn't a huge surprise given how heavy the car is for comparison. So I was like OK I'll get this, but I'm not all that excited, which for buying a new car is a buzkill.

My moment of revelation was when I was finally able to find a used (base) 2016 GT350 to drive. And IT WAS AMAZING. Like holy ---- was that a fun car. Handling was just superb. The asking price on it was just insane ($50k for a REBUILT/SALVAGE car, like are you f- kidding me?). And as mentioned before, prices on other GT350's have been similarly nuts.

So all this leads to the M1. I'm pretty comfortable from reading head to head comparisons with the GT350 that it offers much the same handling and crisp shifts, with the benefits that it comes with a new warranty and an engine that isn't as likely to self destruct (probably rare I know, but something that pushes me away from the 2016/2017 GT350's). And this way I don't need to wait a year or whatever for GT350 prices to come back to reality, which TBH may take the S650 release to achieve.

Anyway props to you if you read all that hah. But the M1 seems to be the answer for what I'm looking for.

danpass

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Focus ST Triple Yellow