2021 Mach 1 Tuning

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2016 Cayman GT4
This thread has reminded me of a question I've been meaning to ask, and this seems like as good of a place as any... Has Ford made any official claims about mpg or power losses when running lower octane fuels in the Mach 1 or Bullitt? I'm struggling to find any official documentation.

It's probably heresy to even discuss the idea, I know, but on my old '15 GT, IIRC Ford stated that there was only a 1% loss in power, and no decrease in mileage when running regular, let alone any risk of knocking, so I used regular almost all the time, except when going to the track.

... Given that the tuning has gotten more aggressive, and this car is now direct and port injected, my suspicion is we have to run 91+ octane, but figured I'd ask anyway.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
This thread has reminded me of a question I've been meaning to ask, and this seems like as good of a place as any... Has Ford made any official claims about mpg or power losses when running lower octane fuels in the Mach 1 or Bullitt? I'm struggling to find any official documentation.

It's probably heresy to even discuss the idea, I know, but on my old '15 GT, IIRC Ford stated that there was only a 1% loss in power, and no decrease in mileage when running regular, let alone any risk of knocking, so I used regular almost all the time, except when going to the track.

... Given that the tuning has gotten more aggressive, and this car is now direct and port injected, my suspicion is we have to run 91+ octane, but figured I'd ask anyway.
My first tank of gas was 14 MPG and second was 17 MPG and on 93 octane. I haven't tried any octane lower and I only have 600 miles so it's breaking in. I would hate to drive this daily because it literally guzzles gas. My 17 GT got 12 MPG on E85 but it was significantly cheaper.

The gen 3 Coyote having even higher compression ratio, I'd stick to 91-93 anytime you can. 87 is fine if you grandma drive. As far as MPG goes, it will hardly be noticeable between the fuels. The 91-93 just makes the knock sensors happier.

theruleslawyer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
MB C350

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...ly-one-who-runs-regular-in-a-gt-right.168401/

TBH on modern tuning I doubt it would hurt it.

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
Where did you hear this?
Beefcake and Lund told me you get 3 tunes- 93, flex, E85
It’s not a matter of not wanting to do the flex tune

it’s a matter of Not being able to see the eth %

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
It’s not a matter of not wanting to do the flex tune

it’s a matter of Not being able to see the eth %
So how were you offering it before?
When I called couple months ago, I was told I’d get all 3.

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2016 Cayman GT4

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Found a different tuner that will do flex. I don't see why not seeing the alch % is a show stopper. It's flex fuel for crying out loud. You can see your AFR. I'd want to know what my alch % is when I'm running a straight E85 tune.

theruleslawyer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
MB C350
Found a different tuner that will do flex. I don't see why not seeing the alch % is a show stopper. It's flex fuel for crying out loud. You can see your AFR. I'd want to know what my alch % is when I'm running a straight E85 tune.
Because it impacts octane? AFR you can vary fueling, but timing would be more speculative. You would need to be very conservative without it.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Because it impacts octane? AFR you can vary fueling, but timing would be more speculative. You would need to be very conservative without it.
But the same logic is still there. It's just the display that's not available. I don't run on the flex tune full time anyway. I use it to transition over to the straight E85 tune.

crzystang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
MATT
Vehicle(s)
2002 GT, 2021 MACH 1
But the same logic is still there. It's just the display that's not available. I don't run on the flex tune full time anyway. I use it to transition over to the straight E85 tune.
I can understand what you saying. IF, IF you time it right. You can run most of the gasoline out and hit the E85 pump. Load E tune and very gingerly make a nice 25-30 min drive that should clear the majority of the Gasoline from the lines.

I also agree that when on E only tune it is imperative to test the % of the fuel. Luckily in my area for the last month at the pump I have been pumping 92%. This is found with the graduated bottle and water method. But with that concentration I feel safe. Again it’s the timing that we are trying to keep in a safe zone while running the rest of the lower octane gasoline out of the vehicle.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
I can understand what you saying. IF, IF you time it right. You can run most of the gasoline out and hit the E85 pump. Load E tune and very gingerly make a nice 25-30 min drive that should clear the majority of the Gasoline from the lines.

I also agree that when on E only tune it is imperative to test the % of the fuel. Luckily in my area for the last month at the pump I have been pumping 92%. This is found with the graduated bottle and water method. But with that concentration I feel safe. Again it’s the timing that we are trying to keep in a safe zone while running the rest of the lower octane gasoline out of the vehicle.
In my 17 GT, I'd run it down to zero miles then swap to E85. Thankfully the station that's the "go to" one in the area constantly tests above 75%, usually in the 87-90% range. I just wanted the flex tune for that small window where there's still 93 in the fuel lines before the alch % starts to read. Idle on that for a little bit and drive home, then flash on the E85 tune.

I may install one of those alch % readers in the fuel line that are bluetooth just so I can monitor it a different way and not rely on the wideband O2's like previously. You're definitely right though about testing the fuel. I did that for a while until after 4-5 tests at the same station all kept coming back high then eventually stopped.

MountainStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang GT
I hope there is some kind of tune for the 2022 Mach 1. The bump down 10 hp is dumb. Hoping maybe some kind of kit from ford performance.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
I hope there is some kind of tune for the 2022 Mach 1. The bump down 10 hp is dumb. Hoping maybe some kind of kit from ford performance.
Unlikely from Ford, but other tuners should be getting around it.