Sponsored

VictorH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Victor
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
All stock from the cats on back. (How do I post the video? Do I have to post to youtube or other video hosting forum first?)

2CCD9196-8188-48EC-83DD-50F35DBA161E_1_102_o.jpeg
Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I was so convinced by all the previous information that the new Mach 1 is the most track capable 5.0 Mustang ever but still is not as fast as the GT350 that I am now in a state of shock by this post. Most reports indicated the Ford engineers would not make the Mach 1 HP faster than a GT350. Now I feel like getting ahold of a GT350R and Mach 1 and take both to a track on the same day and see which one is the faster of the two.
The GT350R does have significantly more HP. My assumption is that it's also lighter than the Mach 1. I would be very surprised if the GT350R brakes aren't better than those on the Mach for holding up after several fast laps.

In the article they speculated that the difference was aero. The Mach 1 has different aero in the rear plus it has no holes in the hood or fenders up front. I think the GT350R gives up a little time for better engine and brake cooling. And it gives up a little time with one of the coolest rear wings ever.

Ford chose function over form on the Mach 1 - leaving the shaker scoop off. It's not as cool and doesn't have as much to differentiate it from a typical GT Mustang, but functionally it works great. Obviously the GT350R works great as well, possibly just not quite as much so as the Mach.

I agree it would be awesome to have the two cars on track at the same time, because it's hard for me to believe the aero on the two cars has that significant of an impact.

I'd also like to see the two cars driven hard for 20 minutes or more to understand whether the GT350R actually has better cooling or not and whether those amazing two piece rotors matter in a longer series of laps.

Rynoe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang Mach 1 Premium, 6spd, GBM, chas N0121
I think it was, was Herrod that did the upgrade to the HP spec Magneride
Very nice! Good to know Herod can do it. I am in the process of adding the Handling package and saving the suspension/springs for last. A friend at a Ford dealership says he can tune it to a HP but it’s complicated and we gotta wait a few months.

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
comes with a bigger brake booster (Than GT spec cars) helping to apply more initial brake pressure.
Do you have a source for that or a part number this is very interesting and I didn't seen this mentioned in any of the articles about differences between PP1 GT and Mach 1.

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500

Sponsored

paulb351

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
MustangGT,Everest,FocusRS,MustangMach1
Very nice! Good to know Herod can do it. I am in the process of adding the Handling package and saving the suspension/springs for last. A friend at a Ford dealership says he can tune it to a HP but it’s complicated and we gotta wait a few months.
In export markets (like Australia) we don't get the option to buy the HP car, or GT350, GT350R or GT500. I would have ordered HP car direct if it was possible. Since the Gt500 is unavailable I used the Mach 1 as the base for a car with similar performance with the transmission I wanted (Tremec).

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Ford can't be arsed to bring new tires and camber plates to magazine tests. Having a 'ringer' requires WAY too much thought and planning that they have repeatedly demonstrated they are incapable of. Or just don't give a damn.

The 2020R and M1+HP are for all intents identical save engine config.
Put down the pipe. You're (again) making stuff up to support your conclusion.

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
In export markets (like Australia) we don't get the option to buy the HP car, or GT350, GT350R or GT500. I would have ordered HP car direct if it was possible. Since the Gt500 is unavailable I used the Mach 1 as the base for a car with similar performance with the transmission I wanted (Tremec).
But you can buy an Non-HP car and convert it to HP car sure it will take some time but HP cars are not magic they are more aero, camber plates, springs and wheels+tires. For the wheels and tires you have better options with Apex (lighter) for springs you have tons of options for camber plates as well and even for aero there are better options but it's easy to source from Ford Performance anyway.

paulb351

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
MustangGT,Everest,FocusRS,MustangMach1
But you can buy an Non-HP car and convert it to HP car sure it will take some time but HP cars are not magic they are more aero, camber plates, springs and wheels+tires. For the wheels and tires you have better options with Apex (lighter) for springs you have tons of options for camber plates as well and even for aero there are better options but it's easy to source from Ford Performance anyway.
Yes all true, I was originally refering to the lack of a factory option in export markets and the US HP model at an increased price that is well below the cost of the additional parts is a primary issue.

murick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2021 Euro Mach 1
But you can buy an Non-HP car and convert it to HP car sure it will take some time but HP cars are not magic they are more aero, camber plates, springs and wheels+tires.
I would expect that the most significant change to the car performance (considering the exported configuration) would be replacing the 3.55 limited slip diff with 3.73 Torsen. The handling package is good for the track and looks, but for a daily drive does not contribute as much as the diff.

Sponsored

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
The handling package is good for the track and looks, but for a daily drive does not contribute as much as the diff.
How does the diff contribute to the daily drive ? (Assume you're talking about actual differential, not ring gear).

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I would expect that the most significant change to the car performance (considering the exported configuration) would be replacing the 3.55 limited slip diff with 3.73 Torsen. The handling package is good for the track and looks, but for a daily drive does not contribute as much as the diff.
I kind of agree with that though I'm kind of happy with the 3.55 sure need to upgrade to 3.73 Torsen eventually but this could wait for sure. Regarding the other options I try to get my 2017 close to M1 HP spec and there is one big difference that is the TR-3160 which for me is a better trans for track. Regarding M1 non-hp vs HP I think considering they are the same minus the wheels and tires I think wheels and tires are the biggest difference and if you need wheels better buy something lighter as the HP wheels are still solid 31-32 lbs of a wheel. So there is performance to be gained with after market there even on HP car. Steeda btw had a lovely clip on improving the Mach 1 with aftermarket and the difference in times was insane.

2021 Steeda Mach 1 R&D Suspension Testing On Track

murick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2021 Euro Mach 1
How does the diff contribute to the daily drive ?
It contributes simply by the fact that you use it every time you drive your car, while the handling package gets used mostly on the track only. With different gears ratio you get different power curve and different dynamics (not speaking about Torsen vs LSD functional difference).

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
It contributes simply by the fact that you use it every time you drive your car, while the handling package gets used mostly on the track only. With different gears ratio you get different power curve and different dynamics (not speaking about Torsen vs LSD functional difference).
Yeah -ring gear teeth count obviously makes difference - diff itself - not really (in street driving).

Mach 1 HP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Vehicle(s)
Mach 1 HP
My buddy has a 20 350R and I don't think he is happy how well the m1 did. I'm sure a lot of shelby gt350 owners were shocked.
Sponsored