Sponsored

2020 Shelby GT500 Mustang leaked specs: 720HP @ 7500 RPM, 650 ft-lbs @ 4500 RPM, 4225lbs curb weight

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpursFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Well if you had around 100k in "car credit" to purchase a car then you MIGHT take look at the GT500 if it fits the bill.. but more than likely you're gonna look at new Z06, slightly used ZR1, slightly used 2015+ GTR, slightly used Porsche 911, slightly used Viper, etc.. cars in the 100k+ range... Not sure if you will let the credit go to waste getting a GT500 which is cheaper unless you just really like the GT500 which if fine.

Noticed the MIGHT.. which means those cars in the 100k+ range are not direct competitors. One may cross shop to save $ or just like the Mustang more but that is personal preference.
Have you seen the discounts you can get on Vettes, zo6 included?!

Those discounts plus Shelby ADM put them in the same price point as the higher end vets. Now if Ford would do something to control ADM then you have some price separation.
Sponsored

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
Those discounts plus Shelby ADM put them in the same price point as the higher end vets. Now if Ford would do something to control ADM then you have some price separation.
^^TRUTH!!!
I emailed a dealership in the next state over from me, which is one of the top 3 Corvette dealerships in the Country. I was asking about ordering a Z06 with the Z07 package and Jessy replied back that they discount 12% off MSRP for ordered Z06 cars. Plus, with the Z06 cars, there is no limited availability like the GT500 cars.

Kurac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 R

Exactly. Yes the early C8 will get some ADM, but not all dealers will charge them, especially the volume dealers. Ford dealers and Shelby’s on the hand, is a different story. When talking street prices, I think the C8 will be very close to GT500 pricing. There will just be too much out by the time the 500 hits the street. Redeye and C8 for starters...

SVTSNAKE355

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
hothands
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT500
In real world they do. I'm a Mustang buyer normally but now in a C7 Z06. Depending on the price point of the new GT500 it could very well compete with a Vette for a sports car buyers money. Given we are seeing Ford test the GT500 mules with the AMG GTR, 911s, etc. I'd say the Vette competes with the GT500.
you may say that they compete with each other,but in the real world its mustang vs the CRAPMARO vs the tugboat challenger.the vette is a 2 seater,did you forget that?

Kurac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 R
you may say that they compete with each other,but in the real world its mustang vs the CRAPMARO vs the tugboat challenger.the vette is a 2 seater,did you forget that?
If 2 cars cost the same, how do they not compete for the enthusiast buyer’s buck “in the real world”? Car and Driver has compared the Mustang to the Corvette numerous times. And with the GT350, they felt it was a more engaging performance car to the C7 Z51. And the 350R, Boss LS, and Cobra R’s are all 2 seaters....based on your logic, who do they compete with?

Sponsored

200MPHCOBRA

Liberty Tree Needs Water
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2013 BOSS 302
Really, what the hell is taking so long. A mid engine Vette is going to be roaming the streets by the time this thing is out. What is harder to design? And they are probably going to be close enough in cost to cross shop. If the Vette has a 5.5 quad cam (before the turbos) it will have a better B to S ratio so better head flow, probably 600-625 hp and 500-700 pounds less pork. Ford has missed the target, hell, they missed the backstop. I can't think of a time I've been more disappointed in them, and my first Ford was a 6 year old 1970 Mach 1 4bbl cleveland 4 speed.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Really, what the hell is taking so long. A mid engine Vette is going to be roaming the streets by the time this thing is out. What is harder to design? And they are probably going to be close enough in cost to cross shop. If the Vette has a 5.5 quad cam (before the turbos) it will have a better B to S ratio so better head flow, probably 600-625 hp and 500-700 pounds less pork. Ford has missed the target, hell, they missed the backstop. I can't think of a time I've been more disappointed in them, and my first Ford was a 6 year old 1970 Mach 1 4bbl cleveland 4 speed.
If all this is true, then maybe. Does anybody here really know what this 500 is going to be? All we have here is a bunch of speculation and some very limited (and not confirmed) inside information.

We will all know soon enough and make our buying decisions from there.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
How is the c8 vette from Garbage Motors gonna steal the GT500? Those cars don't compete with each other.
"Steal its thunder ...", i.e., be the big, more attention grabbing story.

I'd assuming he's looking at it like this: GT500, a slightly overdue, supercharged V8 RWD, engine an evolution of the current platform, based on the existing S550 (in fact, suggestions it may even use the old style head/tail lights) vs. an entirely new and different Vette design with a mid-engine implementation (that's never been done in production), and Chevy moving from it's long history of OHV V8s to a brand new DOHC V8.

Not so say the GT500 might not be fantastic - especially with a DCT - but just in terms of wow factor, it's a little been-there-done-that (unless Ford has some magic up their sleeve, I'm certainly hopeful).

Last edited:

200MPHCOBRA

Liberty Tree Needs Water
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2013 BOSS 302
If all this is true, then maybe. Does anybody here really know what this 500 is going to be? All we have here is a bunch of speculation and some very limited (and not confirmed) inside information.

We will all know soon enough and make our buying decisions from there.
My hopes are fading quickly, and GM has Coyote engines to study to make their DOHC an improved version. And if the spy photos of the Vette are any indication, its going to be gorgeous too. They will sell the hell out of them. I've been bleeding Ford blue my whole life, and believe me it pains me to feel this way.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
The 'vette might be out sooner, but I would be too risk averse to buy the first year or two of production with a new engine and new platform. There will be lots of new stuff on the ME 'vette.

Sponsored

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
I'm ordering a 2019 GT350 and a 2019 Camaro SS 1LE.

Both non-aspirated, manual trans, analog gauges and track suspension.

Camaro will be the Daily Driver I beat the snot out of and my GT350 will be my weekend warrior that I baby and show off. :rockon:

Camaro SS 1LE is THE best track car for the money $38,000.00: https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/new/s...ype=PRICE&sortDirection=ASC#listing=216242982
Non-aspirated??? As a opposed to aspirated??? Hahahaha
Your on this thread too? Dang!! All over the place.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
What about those minimally aspirated engines? 2 valves? LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.