Sponsored

2020 Shelby GT500 Mustang leaked specs: 720HP @ 7500 RPM, 650 ft-lbs @ 4500 RPM, 4225lbs curb weight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Notagain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
yellow 2016 5.0 totaled white 2018 A10 now
Please read again. The word "like" was used, twice. Jesus man, you own the licensing rights to the TVS 2650 or something? What would make Ford Performance compelled to use it? I'm not saying they won't (and it very likely is) but man you're either a Whipple hater or something like it. Strange.
Youre right itll be like a gen5 whipple in that itll be inverted. Thats where the similarities stop.
Sponsored

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
All this talk of how ridiculously heavy these cars have gotten seriously makes me consider picking up a '14 gt500 and throwing in a full Griggs Racing suspension. That would subtract another 250 lbs and make it an absolute track monster, outclassing all of these cars for substantially fewer $
Having gone through the entire suspension on my own GT500 (which among many other changes included a tubular K-member) I can tell you your numbers are off by quite a bit. Griggs shaved 30 lbs from the front end. In the rear, swapping a torque arm/crossmember adds quite a bit of weight over the factory third link that resides above the axle. From Griggs...
http://www.griggsracing.com/article_info.php?articles_id=23

And while torque arm cars can be set up well, the IRS holds quite an advantage. Up front, the GT350 aluminum knuckle with its radial mount caliper setup (which I believe will make its way to the GT500 with some tweaks to make it better than it already was on the GT350) is leagues beyond what you'll come up with on the S197 too.

For reference, I'm going through all of this once again only this time with a vintage Fox coupe. As hardcore as the hardware is, a well set up S550 is much, much better from a vehicle dynamics standpoint over Fox, SN95, and S197 variants.

20180831_191239-X4.jpg

Petroleum Jesus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Having gone through the entire suspension on my own GT500 (which among many other changes included a tubular K-member) I can tell you your numbers are off by quite a bit. Griggs shaved 30 lbs from the front end. In the rear, swapping a torque arm/crossmember adds quite a bit of weight over the factory third link that resides above the axle. From Griggs...

And while torque arm cars can be set up well, the IRS holds quite an advantage. Up front, the GT350 aluminum knuckle with its radial mount caliper setup (which I believe will make its way to the GT500 with some tweaks to make it better than it already was on the GT350) is leagues beyond what you'll come up with on the S197 too.

For reference, I'm going through all of this once again only this time with a vintage Fox coupe. As hardcore as the hardware is, a well set up S550 is much, much better from a vehicle dynamics standpoint over Fox, SN95, and S197 variants.

20180831_191239-X4.jpg
I quote directly from the S197 full chassis system product page, "Light Weight, Easy Access: The complete GR40 system saves considerable weight and opens up space in the engine compartment as well, making working on the car a breeze. Using GR40 aluminum spindles and Griggs 13.5” Sport Brake Kit, total OEM parts weight removed is 261 lbs. Installation of the GR40 front end alone removes 30 lbs. from the front end of the car, most of it un-sprung."

http://www.griggsracing.com/index.php?cPath=4332_4309_4320_4329

Perhaps I am reading this wrong, but they also say that rear weight bias (>50%) is achievable without relocating the battery. Is this just clever marketing, ie bullshit?

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe

20180831_191239-X4.jpg
Absolutely. I did quite a bit to my fox - and without extereme body modifications for a much lower ride-height, most of the good aftermarket parts still represent quite a compromise on that platform...compared to anything S550. My wife has an 01 Cobra that I just did a complete rear end upgrade on (new everything and Delrin)...and it handles ALMOST as good as my fox did with Maximum Motorsports max grip and then some.

http://93coupe.com/maximum-motorsports-grip-box-forgeline-wheels-nitto-nt05-tires-installed/

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Perhaps I am reading this wrong...
There is some serious obfuscation going on there. I respect Griggs' efforts but not when it comes to this description. And most aren't aware but look closer....Griggs reverts back to a Fox era steering rack.

Absolutely. I did quite a bit to my fox - and without extereme body modifications for a much lower ride-height, most of the good aftermarket parts still represent quite a compromise on that platform...compared to anything S550. My wife has an 01 Cobra that I just did a complete rear end upgrade on (new everything and Delrin)...and it handles ALMOST as good as my fox did with Maximum Motorsports max grip and then some.

http://93coupe.com/maximum-motorsports-grip-box-forgeline-wheels-nitto-nt05-tires-installed/
I followed your build when it hit the web and have referenced some photos for clarity while doing mine. That is a very clean car!

Sponsored

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Audi S6, 2021 Mach 1 'M1985'
I certainly agree that the 1LE is a great competitor for the upcoming GT500 but certainly having a hard time imagining a Hellcat being a direct competitor?

Even putting a 2014 GT500 and a 2015 Hellcat on a road course (let alone the upcoming 2019/2020 GT500) and it would not even be close even though the Hellcat has another 45 HP but being a real porker at ~600 pounds heavier than the last generation GT500.

When the new GT500 comes out I can't imagine the Hellcat being even mentioned in the same breath from an overall driving experience.
sorry i wasn't very clear with my thoughts. i agree the hellcat is kind of its own thing.....lots of power and not really good at anything. but i included it because i read comments that the gt500 will destroy the road course car (1le) AND the big hp car (hellcat). i do not think it will, nor should that be a goal. it doesn't need to beat the 1le lap times. and it doesnt need to have a dyno sheet for bragging rights against the dodge. i think it will be the most balanced of the three, and ultimately the better car. it just gets tiring seeing posts about "crapmaros" and how the 500 IS going to take them all down. all of this based on little to no evidence..........

Petroleum Jesus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
sorry i wasn't very clear with my thoughts. i agree the hellcat is kind of its own thing.....lots of power and not really good at anything. but i included it because i read comments that the gt500 will destroy the road course car (1le) AND the big hp car (hellcat). i do not think it will, nor should that be a goal. it doesn't need to beat the 1le lap times. and it doesnt need to have a dyno sheet for bragging rights against the dodge. i think it will be the most balanced of the three, and ultimately the better car. it just gets tiring seeing posts about "crapmaros" and how the 500 IS going to take them all down. all of this based on little to no evidence..........
It's based on historical precedence, which is often the most reliable evidence.

YOLO

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06, Lexus GS350
Speaking of historical things, how about the fact that this car is being aimed at cars and track times several years old.
Yep. I don't get it.

My dated C7 Z06 will probably keep up or beat this GT500 in a race.

That's supposed to be exciting? :yawn:

Petroleum Jesus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Speaking of historical things, how about the fact that this car is being aimed at cars and track times several years old.
That's not a fact. As previously stated, the GT500 has never had a direct competitor. Ford sets the benchmarks. No other considerations exist.

Sponsored

SVTSNAKE355

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
hothands
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT500
That's not a fact. As previously stated, the GT500 has never had a direct competitor. Ford sets the benchmarks. No other considerations exist.
that is true.i think when the 2015 mustang was being done,i THINK it was said by someone at FORD,that CRAPMARO wasnt even thought about when they came up with the new mustang.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Said like someone who knows little about competitive benchmarking.

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Have to agree with this. It's really kind of sad that Ford has taken almost 5 years to come up with something that MIGHT be faster than it's most direct competitor. Considering the rumors of a coming Z/28 with carbon-ceramic brakes, 750hp, further weight reduction than the ZL1 1LE, and a target 'Ring time under 7 minutes, Ford really should realize that if they don't build the car to compete with that, it'll be obsolete the minute that Camaro is released

Big Boss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda6
Have to agree with this. It's really kind of sad that Ford has taken almost 5 years to come up with something that MIGHT be faster than it's most direct competitor. Considering the rumors of a coming Z/28 with carbon-ceramic brakes, 750hp, further weight reduction than the ZL1 1LE, and a target 'Ring time under 7 minutes, Ford really should realize that if they don't build the car to compete with that, it'll be obsolete the minute that Camaro is released
While I agree they should set their sights higher to make the best car they can, I wouldn't worry about a sub 7 minute Ring Camaro. IIRC the ZR1 hasn't had an official lap at the ring yet, but if the ZR1 doesn't crack it then there is no way a Camaro will

HISSMAN

Large Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White GT/PP Premium

Heck, it might not be much faster than a 13/14 GT500.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.