2019 Mustang GT (Manual) auto rev matching

jgruben1134

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP2 Velocity Blue "Moby"
It's a nice feature, and probably saves the clutch and synchros more than even a human trying their best.

I do understand what you are saying and lament the automation of previous skills, however it's kind of like having a back up camera when you need to hookup to a trailer and refusing to use it.
It's not doing anything to help the synchros, unfortunately. With it blipping the throttle with the clutch disengaged, it isn't spinning the gears up in the gearbox, so the synchros still have to do it for you.

The only way to avoid synchro wear is to do a full double clutch downshift, where you blip the throttle with the clutch engaged, gearbox in neutral, in the middle of your downshift. So, clutch in, shift to neutral, clutch out, blip, clutch in, select next lower gear, clutch out.

Edit - to be clear, I'm not advocating for this. That's why synchros were invented in the first place, but its fun to learn and execute correctly.
Sponsored

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Rev-match is just being lazy.
So is starting your engine with a key or a push button. I don't see you out there cranking your car by hand like a true man. I also assume you unplug your ABS too right as letting the computer modulate the brake on hard stops is lazy vs. doing it yourself with the right foot?

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
as letting the computer modulate the brake on hard stops is lazy vs. doing it yourself with the right foot?
you are correct. 50 years of drivers hove no idea how to stop a car aside from stupidly mashing the pedal to the floor. Thought? no. Technique? no. Thankfully my motorcycles require a brain and regular practice instead of just a place to put a hat. But I also have vastly more tactile sensitivity to feel the contact patches on a bike than a 4000lb car doing different things at 4 corners.

Downshifting is not a safety-critical skill, so that's why I reserve it for myself to hone. I haven't looked at pulling the fuse on the ABS control module but it's worth a look. What the car really needs is a brake system that is perfectly usable (with some effort) in the absence of ALL power boost/augmentation.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
So is starting your engine with a key or a push button. I don't see you out there cranking your car by hand like a true man.
People ended up with broken arms from hand-crank starting (IIRC, one of my mother's aunts had that happen). No thanks.

I also assume you unplug your ABS too right as letting the computer modulate the brake on hard stops is lazy vs. doing it yourself with the right foot?
It takes practice, but threshold braking can and will get you stopped in less distance than if ABS gets involved, at least in the dry. There's also a pavement situation or two that ABS may not be able to deal with.

Norm

TheSnowmanMafia

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium
Silly is using it and thinking that you had anything to do with those "perfect downshifts".

Silly is having to have little tasks like this done for you that really aren't hard for you to do all by yourself. But I guess that's what happened when "I can do this" attitudes became "I can't be bothered" . . .

Norm
I mean... I didn't buy a car just to have some god complex about down shifts.

It's technology. Use it or don't but YOU aren't better than anyone simply because you don't use it.

That's condescending and a ridiculous attitude...

Why don't you take out your gear synchros while you're at it? If you don't double clutch you aren't a REAL driver.

Sponsored

KeyLime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lenny
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT/CS Convertible
For all the talk about double clutching and rev matching, does it make a difference? I've owned a lot of manuals. I've pushed some well over 150,000 miles, with wife and kids sharing the driving. I've never had a transmission fail or have had to replace a clutch. Granted I don't power shift at red line. I do make half-hearted attempts to rev match but I don't strive for total perfection either.

Other than folks who drag, track, or do stupid with their cars, are blown synchros and toasted clutches a common problem? Or is this discussion much ado about nothing?

Automatics...well I've had a couple of those critters go belly up.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
are blown synchros and toasted clutches a common problem?
no. Aside from (any?) FI-weenies thinking that adding 200TQ shouldn't require a clutch replacement.
Or is this discussion much ado about nothing?
how dare you, sir. I said 'Good Day'!

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Ford's implementation is not going to be 'portable' to cars that don't have automated rev matching. Think about that for a minute . . .

Norm
I agree, but its a skill I've already learned on previous cars. Imo the pedal placement varies so much on every car you have to adjust anyway when it comes to heel toe strategy.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
It's technology. Use it or don't but YOU aren't better than anyone simply because you don't use it.
I'd be ashamed of myself if I thought I needed that kind of help with such a simple task. Or if I didn't even care to learn it.

Why don't you take out your gear synchros while you're at it? If you don't double clutch you aren't a REAL driver.
Actually, I double-clutch most downshifts. I can also rev-match good enough to shift up or down without using the clutch at all (but I save that skill for emergency use should the clutch linkage or hydraulics fail).

Norm

troverman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium manual
It's not doing anything to help the synchros, unfortunately. With it blipping the throttle with the clutch disengaged, it isn't spinning the gears up in the gearbox, so the synchros still have to do it for you.

The only way to avoid synchro wear is to do a full double clutch downshift, where you blip the throttle with the clutch engaged, gearbox in neutral, in the middle of your downshift. So, clutch in, shift to neutral, clutch out, blip, clutch in, select next lower gear, clutch out.

Edit - to be clear, I'm not advocating for this. That's why synchros were invented in the first place, but its fun to learn and execute correctly.
Good point, but regardless, letting ARM do it's job is ultimately going to help longevity of the clutch and gearbox.

Sponsored

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Actually, I double-clutch most downshifts. I can also rev-match good enough to shift up or down without using the clutch at all (but I save that skill for emergency use should the clutch linkage or hydraulics fail).
You're clearly the pinnacle of manhood, and most of us here are not worthy of your presence.

You should probably be up on a shrine in the Man Hall of Fame instead of bothering with mere mortals on a car forum. Or at least in a 3V forum.

TheSnowmanMafia

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium
I'd be ashamed of myself if I thought I needed that kind of help with such a simple task. Or if I didn't even care to learn it.

Norm
I can't handle this level of boomer.

Good lord.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
You're clearly the pinnacle of manhood, and most of us here are not worthy of your presence.

You should probably be up on a shrine in the Man Hall of Fame instead of bothering with mere mortals on a car forum. Or at least in a 3V forum.
This and other little things about driving are things that I learned through experience. Sometimes because they just made sense, sometimes out of curiosity, and once or twice because I had to learn something on sudden notice. I'd hate to have not had the curiosity or the willingness to learn.

You do realize that every time you execute a lift-throttle upshift, you're engaging in "rev matching". Just that you're letting the revs fall back to where they need to be . . . has it ever occurred to people that they still don't need any help from technology to get that right? Yeah, these days you might have to momentarily pause in mid-shift in cases of rev hang.

Norm

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
has it ever occurred to people that they still don't need any help from technology to get that right?
There's alot of things in everyday life that we as humans don't "need" help from technology, yet we still use them and embrace technology. In almost every other aspect of life, noone calls other people lazy for using technology to make or lives easier. Yet with anything that aids driving the car and/or shifting, if one decide to use it they are called lazy and are looked down upon.

Would you call your buddy lazy for using a power drill to assist in building a deck instead of doing it manually with a handheld screwdriver? Would you call your buddy lazy for using a chainsaw to cut down a tree branch instead of doing it with a hand saw?

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Would you call your buddy lazy for using a power drill to assist in building a deck instead of doing it manually with a handheld screwdriver?
cutting down a branch is not a skill. I still use screw drivers and manual ratchets instead of these zip-guns be they impact or drivers. I have split wood by hand, and I've used a hydraulic log splitter. If I never learned how to split a log then I'd be forced to trundle out the log splitter when all I need to run is a few pieces. No, I would not spend 3 days splitting an entire tree when I could have done it in 2 hours with mechanical help.

Where it concerns saving significant time and energy, using modern crutches is permissible. auto-blip doesn't save time nor energy. It just allows your skills to not develop or to atrophy from lack of use. Why go thru the hassle of coordinating clutch and throttle if being 'lazy' is the holy grail - there's an A10 for that.
Sponsored

Last edited: