2019 Mustang GT Auto Very Rough Idle/Engine Stall

Ayee__Jay

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang 5.0
I would bring up the potential VCT solenoid issue. Ever since they replaced it, I’ve yet to have abnormal idles and stall outs.
Dealership changed 1 out of 4 solenoids. And still have the problem. Did they change all of them for you?
Sponsored

Loboman777

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT
Dealership changed 1 out of 4 solenoids. And still have the problem. Did they change all of them for you?
They definitely did not change all of them because eventually the error code mentioned 1 bank had the problem. So it was only 1 or 2 of them.
I am paranoid that the other bank is going to be problematic later but still running well to date. I still haven’t noticed any irregular idles or stalls.

Saulmoreno7

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Saul
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Gt Base Modal
They definitely did not change all of them because eventually the error code mentioned 1 bank had the problem. So it was only 1 or 2 of them.
I am paranoid that the other bank is going to be problematic later but still running well to date. I still haven’t noticed any irregular idles or stalls.
I think this happened a couple of weeks ago I was at a stop and my idle drops from 500RPM to 350RPM and my car started shaking but ever since then it has not been doing that should I take it into the Dealership?

ngiotta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT / 1970 Mach 1 (Twin Turbo Coyote)
I think this happened a couple of weeks ago I was at a stop and my idle drops from 500RPM to 350RPM and my car started shaking but ever since then it has not been doing that should I take it into the Dealership?
You can try and take it to the dealership. I took mine 4 times.... They couldn't ever find the problem and every time I picked it up, it was filthy and half of the gas I dropped if off with, was missing. As much as it pained me to do so, I ended up trading it in for a new 2021 Scat Pack. The good news is... that finally fixed the problem. :cwl:

onequik1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Just picked up a 2019 GT w/60k miles, ran great for a month or two and just started the intermittent rough idle and has died once. Reading through the majority of posts on here I have a few questions/comments. 1.) My car is due for an oil change (based on light coming on), people say they have had luck changing their oil and even changing the weight of their oil, my assumption is that because there are a pair of VCT solenoinds under each valve cover they are oil soaked and people have said the pin that goes in and out become sort of sticky. So maybe thats why an oil change could help 2.) I have a scanner and it shows no stored error codes. With no codes how do you determine which bank, and then which solenoid? Or does one just replace all 4 while you're at it? 3.) My scanner has live data streaming ability, does anyone know what value you could look at while it's happening to determine bank? Trim, VVT, MAF? 4.) When replacing the solenoids I see Ford offers some upgraded race version, is it worth it? Or what have people had luck with?

Sponsored

onequik1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Just picked up a 2019 GT w/60k miles, ran great for a month or two and just started the intermittent rough idle and has died once. Reading through the majority of posts on here I have a few questions/comments. 1.) My car is due for an oil change (based on light coming on), people say they have had luck changing their oil and even changing the weight of their oil, my assumption is that because there are a pair of VCT solenoinds under each valve cover they are oil soaked and people have said the pin that goes in and out become sort of sticky. So maybe thats why an oil change could help 2.) I have a scanner and it shows no stored error codes. With no codes how do you determine which bank, and then which solenoid? Or does one just replace all 4 while you're at it? 3.) My scanner has live data streaming ability, does anyone know what value you could look at while it's happening to determine bank? Trim, VVT, MAF? 4.) When replacing the solenoids I see Ford offers some upgraded race version, is it worth it? Or what have people had luck with?
It's early yet but so far, after an oil change, I have not had the issue. I've owned a lot of cars but have never had an intermittent issue go away by changing the oil.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
It's early yet but so far, after an oil change, I have not had the issue. I've owned a lot of cars but have never had an intermittent issue go away by changing the oil.
If VCTs had debris in them from dirty oil, yes an oil change can "fix" the problem, as long as that problem was related to debris in the VCT.

Here's (2) Threads for VCT info:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/2015-2021-s550-5-0’s-ssm-50067-vct’s-again-various-dtc-codes.169419/

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/p0018-code.123932/

onequik1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT

njweatherman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Premium California Special
Yesterday evening I was out for a ride in my 2020 Mustang GT, Automatic, California Special, 10.600 miles, and just had an oil change a few weeks ago.
The car was fully warmed up. When I was stopped at a light, my idle was near or just above 600 and steady like it always is without any heat/ac on. Then, I noticed that it dropped quickly down to 500 and then shortly after jumped up to 600, then back to 500, etc. It did this a few times, but never stalled. I then went to a parking lot and sat there in drive with my foot on the brake. It did the same thing, but never stalled. This is the first time I have noticed this.
I'm going to wait until it either stalls, does it all the time, and/or throws a code before I make an appointment.

ngiotta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yesterday evening I was out for a ride in my 2020 Mustang GT, Automatic, California Special, 10.600 miles, and just had an oil change a few weeks ago.
The car was fully warmed up. When I was stopped at a light, my idle was near or just above 600 and steady like it always is without any heat/ac on. Then, I noticed that it dropped quickly down to 500 and then shortly after jumped up to 600, then back to 500, etc. It did this a few times, but never stalled. I then went to a parking lot and sat there in drive with my foot on the brake. It did the same thing, but never stalled. This is the first time I have noticed this.
I'm going to wait until it either stalls, does it all the time, and/or throws a code before I make an appointment.
That's how mine started. Hate to say it, but it will get worse and begin to stall. Maybe not days from now. Maybe not weeks from now. Could be months, but it will happen. It won't throw a code and Ford most likely won't be able to find out what's wrong with it, because there's no code and it won't (of course) do it while they are testing it. I believe I received a letter from a law office concerning a class action lawsuit for this issue. I tossed it, since I had already (reluctantly) gotten rid of the car.

Sponsored

njweatherman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
That's how mine started. Hate to say it, but it will get worse and begin to stall. Maybe not days from now. Maybe not weeks from now. Could be months, but it will happen. It won't throw a code and Ford most likely won't be able to find out what's wrong with it, because there's no code and it won't (of course) do it while they are testing it. I believe I received a letter from a law office concerning a class action lawsuit for this issue. I tossed it, since I had already (reluctantly) gotten rid of the car.
Unfortunately, I 100% agree with you that it will happen again and get worse over time. I'm amazed on how many problems these cars have. I thought my 2018 2 SS Chevy Camaro was bad, but it looks like Ford is about the same or worse.
On a more positive note, how do you like the Scat Pack?

ngiotta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Unfortunately, I 100% agree with you that it will happen again and get worse over time. I'm amazed on how many problems these cars have. I thought my 2018 2 SS Chevy Camaro was bad, but it looks like Ford is about the same or worse.
On a more positive note, how do you like the Scat Pack?
The Scat is... okay. It definitely has more torque and the 8spd is smoother than the 10R80, but I feel like it might be slightly slower. There's also small peeves like the window switches will make them go down automatically, but there's no auto-up for the windows(really?!). Also, the UConect infotainment sucks compared to Sync.

The biggest gripe, is that even when trying to keep it in 4 cylinder mode as much as possible, it gets about 5-6MPG less than the Mustang on the highway, which stings extra hard these days. I think my 2008 GT500 got better mileage, to be honest.

In the end though, I'm a Mustang guy. So, every time I drive the Challenger, I miss my Mustang.

njweatherman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
The Scat is... okay. It definitely has more torque and the 8spd is smoother than the 10R80, but I feel like it might be slightly slower. There's also small peeves like the window switches will make them go down automatically, but there's no auto-up for the windows(really?!). Also, the UConect infotainment sucks compared to Sync.

The biggest gripe, is that even when trying to keep it in 4 cylinder mode as much as possible, it gets about 5-6MPG less than the Mustang on the highway, which stings extra hard these days. I think my 2008 GT500 got better mileage, to be honest.

In the end though, I'm a Mustang guy. So, every time I drive the Challenger, I miss my Mustang.
One thing I do not miss about the automatic Camaro was that damn Active Fuel Management, where to save gas mileage, the engine goes from V8 into V4 mode. I believe Dodge has the same feature, but it is named MDS. Also, the Camaro had poor side and rear visibility.

ngiotta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
One thing I do not miss about the automatic Camaro was that damn Active Fuel Management, where to save gas mileage, the engine goes from V8 into V4 mode. I believe Dodge has the same feature, but it is named MDS. Also, the Camaro had poor side and rear visibility.
Yeah, MDS isn't terribly noticeable in the Scat, but the engine has to be hardly working at all for it to come on and stay on. I think Chevy's implementation isn't as good. Ford doesn't even need it, because the Mustang already gets pretty good mileage. My 2019 GT would get around 29MPG highway, running on 8 cylinders the whole time. The Camaro's visibility and completely unusable rear seats are the main reasons why I didn't even consider buying one.

tuxity

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Kévin
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
Hello guys!

It started for me as well few weeks ago, exact same symptoms as previous posts, difficulties to have a stable idling and even few stalls. (2019 GT Auto)

I changed the oil (it was time) and the problem went away 🤷🏼‍♂️

Few months ago I remember the car almost stalling in a parking lot, but it was only once and I didn’t paid much more attention.
Sponsored