Sponsored

2019 GT500 Mustang New Spy Video, Pics, Info

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
I REALLY hope I'm wrong and this is still going to be the end all be all Mustang of all time!!!

It would still be just another new car compared to something like a '69 Boss 429 or a '67 GT500.
Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
It would still be just another new car compared to something like a '69 Boss 429 or a '67 GT500.
Both those older vehicles are very cool cars, but we all know they don't perform worth squat compared to a modern car. Depends on priorities - looking good vs. kicking butt.

rick81721

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 LB H6153
Both those older vehicles are very cool cars, but we all know they don't perform worth squat compared to a modern car. Depends on priorities - looking good vs. kicking butt.
Yeah but the Boss sounds so amazing - totally different than our GT350s but still killer

[ame="[MEDIA=youtube]LlKkds2Lhx8[/MEDIA]"]

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
The car is at least a year or two past its prime debut. Unless Ford is going to account for newer competition like the demon or maybe even a new Z28 Camaro and tune the car for more power and capabilities, I don't see it being that special if or when it finally debut in 2019.
Forget about the horsepower/torque war. Those days are over.
FCA took that crown and went home with it. I don't see anyone topping them when it comes to that. Not only in the muscle car department, but in an suv as well. 2 suv's if you're counting the Trackhawk and the Jeep SRT8.

We're just going to hope that the GT500 is a torque/horsepower beast like the '13/1'4 were, but only perform on the road a lot better.

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
Forget about the horsepower/torque war. Those days are over.
FCA took that crown and went home with it. I don't see anyone topping them when it comes to that. Not only in the muscle car department, but in an suv as well. 2 suv's if you're counting the Trackhawk and the Jeep SRT8.

We're just going to hope that the GT500 is a torque/horsepower beast like the '13/1'4 were, but only perform on the road a lot better.
Horsepower wars should be done yes.

Follow McLaren’s example. Their CEO stated the light-weighing wars are about to start.

No better example as the new 600LT.

Sponsored

z06psi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
The pot stirrer

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Yeah but the Boss sounds so amazing - totally different than our GT350s but still killer
That particular Boss sounds awesome, but it sure didn't sound stock. I agree a V8 with a big cam sounds terrific.

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Mid July and no new news about the GT500.
HTML:
Kinda tracks with my theory that the only reason for the January info at NAIAS was to blunt media interest in the ZR1 that was launched in November. Get them talking about something other than ZR1. It halfway worked. At least up until ZR1 beat Ford GT tracktime. Possibly a reply to Ford’s using the GT500 to divert discussion on the ZR1.

Ford has a reputation in the Auto Show circuit of pulling dick moves. Just a couple that I have witnessed first hand....

1. When GM launched the GMT900 trucks at NAIAS (can’t remember which year) Ford had the press conference just ahead of Chevrolet. They lowered a concept truck from the ceiling of Joe Louis Arena literally minutes before Chevrolet unveiled the Silverado
  2. When Acura introduced the new NSX at Detroit NAIAS, Ford moved the Ford GT from the stage in Joe Louis Arena (where they have held their press conferences) to their stand on the show floor in Cobo Hall. The Ford stand is across the aisle from the Acura stand. They timed it so that the GT would be in the aisle as the NSX was being introduced and then revved it hard while the Acura spokesperson was talking about the NSX.
  3. While Ram or Jeep (honestly can’t remember which) was introducing a new vehicle at an off-circuit show, Ford had a fleet of Raptors show up and basically hooned the event. I didn’t personally witness this one, but one of the guys who worked for me that I sent to the show called me as it was happening.

The fact that there has been zippo said about the car by Ford since January is evidence that what little they did say was not really part of the mainline communication plan.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Kinda tracks with my theory that the only reason for the January info at NAIAS was to blunt media interest in the ZR1 that was launched in November. Get them talking about something other than ZR1. It halfway worked. At least up until ZR1 beat Ford GT tracktime. Possibly a reply to Ford’s using the GT500 to divert discussion on the ZR1.

Ford has a reputation in the Auto Show circuit of pulling dick moves. Just a couple that I have witnessed first hand....

1. When GM launched the GMT900 trucks at NAIAS (can’t remember which year) Ford had the press conference just ahead of Chevrolet. They lowered a concept truck from the ceiling of Joe Louis Arena literally minutes before Chevrolet unveiled the Silverado
  2. When Acura introduced the new NSX at Detroit NAIAS, Ford moved the Ford GT from the stage in Joe Louis Arena (where they have held their press conferences) to their stand on the show floor in Cobo Hall. The Ford stand is across the aisle from the Acura stand. They timed it so that the GT would be in the aisle as the NSX was being introduced and then revved it hard while the Acura spokesperson was talking about the NSX.
  3. While Ram or Jeep (honestly can’t remember which) was introducing a new vehicle at an off-circuit show, Ford had a fleet of Raptors show up and basically hooned the event. I didn’t personally witness this one, but one of the guys who worked for me that I sent to the show called me as it was happening.

The fact that there has been zippo said about the car by Ford since January is evidence that what little they did say was not really part of the mainline communication plan.
Some of those sound to me like good moves if you are in business to beat the competition.

Sponsored

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Lowering a truck from the ceiling isn't something done on a whim and takes quite a bit of planning in a public venue.

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lowering a truck from the ceiling isn't something done on a whim and takes quite a bit of planning in a public venue.
No doubt. But, knowing months in advance that you have the press conference slot just ahead of the company that is introducing a new truck gives you time to plan that. Especially when you do not have a new product to introduce that year, or plan the intro of your new product to occur in March at New York instead of January in Detroit to clear the decks for this stunt. A couple of me press friends told me they had no idea Ford was even considering a truck concept until a day or two before the event and that they were under strict embargo to not reveal the plan.

As for the venue, that part is easily controllable because only Ford used JLA as a press conference locale. And the main tenant of JLA at the time (Detroit Red Wings) are always on an extended road trip around auto show time. JLA is closed now and soon to be demolished, so Ford has to use Cobo Center for press conferences now and won’t be able to stage something quite that elaborate anymore.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
martinjlm said:
Ford has a reputation in the Auto Show circuit of pulling dick moves...

...knowing months in advance that you have the press conference slot just ahead of the company that is introducing a new truck gives you time to plan that. Especially when you do not have a new product to introduce that year...A couple of me press friends told me they had no idea Ford was even considering a truck concept until a day or two before the event and that they were under strict embargo to not reveal the plan.

See what I'm getting at? Based on what you've stated I'd call what Ford did rather "slick."

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
See what I'm getting at? Based on what you've stated I'd call what Ford did rather "slick."
Yes, that one would be considered slick, but it opens them up to having the same game played. The other two were clearly very juvenile dick moves.