2019 and 2020 4" to 8" Screen Upgrade + Drive Mode Toggle Switch Enable Writeup

Leosegura155

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Leonardo
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Update: I can only speak for the 2020, but no additional wiring is needed. Do not purchase or change your harness if you own a 2020! I purchased a Bezel/Radio/ACM/APIM from a 2019 and it was plug and play.

DO:

If you plan on upgrading your 2019-2020 without utilizing with Forscan, it will work. The only function missing will be the Drive Mode toggle switch. However, you must sync your fordpass PRIOR to installing the new unit. It will not work with the new system. The fix is to pull your dash and reinstall your old radio to sync up as the VIN will not match and you will not get the authentication notification. With Forscan, you can update the VIN and fix this as well.

Upgrade your radio to the newest version of Sync using a USB flash drive. Over the air updates did not work with my system, but your mileage may vary. The update takes about 20 minutes and it is very much so worth it if you are running 3.3 or older.

DO NOT:

Use master reset unless you have no other option. If you reset your radio, it will disable your MyFordPass authentication. Without updating the vin or reinstalling your old radio, there's no way to connect your fordpass to the new system. You will lose the remote start/lock functions on your phone.

The 4" to 8" thread has a ton of good information, but it does not apply to 2019's and 2020's. I've done some research and have decided to do a write up with what I learn throughout the process. I've got my screen/APIM/ACM on the way and it should be here shortly. I will try to document the installation with as many pictures and videos as possible.

What I've learned so far:

The Shelby GT350/GT350R Bezel will not work with a base interior. You have to get the premium bezel. The switches are programmed differently and will not interface correctly.

In previous years, a custom/modified harness is required. However, for a 2020, the plug from the base model is the same.

The USB hub (At least in my 2020) is the correct hub for apple car play.

You can enable drive modes through Forscan if you upgrade to a Premium Bezel. Here's how:

Enabling Drive Mode Selector Toggle with FORScan:

Connect your OBDII Coding Tool to your car and computer. Switch your tool to the HS-CAN feature. Turn your ignition on, but do not start the car.
*I purchased This OBDII Module and it was compatible with windows 10 and my car. No drivers were needed.

Open FORScan and follow the prompts. It will ask you to switch it from HS-CAN to MS-CAN to read the modules in the second position. Do this and press OK.

Click the "Computer Processor" image and select ABS (As Built). Press the blue Play button and let the module load. Find line "760-02-02" and change the following numbers:

xxxx-3xxx (ONLY change the fifth number. Leave the numbers in the X slots be)
If you own a performance package car, change it to xxx-7xxx instead.

Hit WRITE.

Select the STOP button at the bottom of FORScan.

Now select "IPC" on the same list as before under the computer processor. Find lines: "720-06-01" if you have an automatic. Change the code to 6C7F-8000-18B1. If you have a manual, change the code to 786F-0664-1897.

Hit WRITE. Turn off ignition and wait a minute or two. Start the car and enjoy your new toggle switch!
Just put in my new sync 3 without gps. Iā€™m trying to put drive modes but it says my obd isnā€™t compatible (the one you suggested and other videos too) not sure if I have to keep trying till it reads it. Also never found the ACM as I saw in a video but here you label it as ABS?? Not sure which one it is now
Sponsored

Leosegura155

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Leonardo
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
IndyRN do your hazard flashers work as expected? I had to make the following change to get mine to work:

BCM 726-29-02: changed from xxxx xxx1 xx to xxxx xxx0 xx
Question I donā€™t get ā€œBCMā€ only BCMB?

OP
OP
IndyRN

IndyRN

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang PP1 Premium
Question I donā€™t get ā€œBCMā€ only BCMB?
You're definitely not seeing any of the right stuff. I'm not sure why your OBD isn't showing as compatible, that's the one I used and like you said the one all the videos suggested. I'd return it and see if the device itself is faulty before trying to continue. It was plug and play for me.

br_an

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bran
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350, 2020 Ford F150
Just put in my new sync 3 without gps. Iā€™m trying to put drive modes but it says my obd isnā€™t compatible (the one you suggested and other videos too) not sure if I have to keep trying till it reads it. Also never found the ACM as I saw in a video but here you label it as ABS?? Not sure which one it is now
If you're looking for a different adapter I used this one: OBDLink EX FORScan OBD Adapter recommended on the FORScan site. Worked great, plus doesn't have the switch to monkey with

Leosegura155

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Leonardo
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
You're definitely not seeing any of the right stuff. I'm not sure why your OBD isn't showing as compatible, that's the one I used and like you said the one all the videos suggested. I'd return it and see if the device itself is faulty before trying to continue. It was plug and play for me.
I honestly am going to keep the hazards the same. Itā€™s not a hassle anyways.

Sponsored

Leosegura155

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Leonardo
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Update: I can only speak for the 2020, but no additional wiring is needed. Do not purchase or change your harness if you own a 2020! I purchased a Bezel/Radio/ACM/APIM from a 2019 and it was plug and play.

DO:

If you plan on upgrading your 2019-2020 without utilizing with Forscan, it will work. The only function missing will be the Drive Mode toggle switch. However, you must sync your fordpass PRIOR to installing the new unit. It will not work with the new system. The fix is to pull your dash and reinstall your old radio to sync up as the VIN will not match and you will not get the authentication notification. With Forscan, you can update the VIN and fix this as well.

Upgrade your radio to the newest version of Sync using a USB flash drive. Over the air updates did not work with my system, but your mileage may vary. The update takes about 20 minutes and it is very much so worth it if you are running 3.3 or older.

DO NOT:

Use master reset unless you have no other option. If you reset your radio, it will disable your MyFordPass authentication. Without updating the vin or reinstalling your old radio, there's no way to connect your fordpass to the new system. You will lose the remote start/lock functions on your phone.

The 4" to 8" thread has a ton of good information, but it does not apply to 2019's and 2020's. I've done some research and have decided to do a write up with what I learn throughout the process. I've got my screen/APIM/ACM on the way and it should be here shortly. I will try to document the installation with as many pictures and videos as possible.

The Shelby GT350/GT350R Bezel will not work with a base interior. You have to get the premium bezel. The switches are programmed differently and will not interface correctly.

In previous years, a custom/modified harness is required. However, for a 2020, the plug from the base model is the same.

You can enable drive modes through Forscan if you upgrade to a Premium Bezel. Here's how:

Connect your OBDII Coding Tool to your car and computer. Switch your tool to the HS-CAN feature. Turn your ignition on, but do not start the car.
*I purchased This OBDII Module and it was compatible with windows 10 and my car. No drivers were needed.

Open FORScan and follow the prompts. It will ask you to switch it from HS-CAN to MS-CAN to read the modules in the second position. Do this and press OK.

Click the "Computer Processor" image and select ABS (As Built). Press the blue Play button and let the module load. Find line "760-02-02" and change the following numbers:

Hit WRITE.

Now select "IPC" on the same list as before under the computer processor. Find lines: "720-06-01" if you have an automatic. Change the code to 6C7F-8000-18B1. If you have a manual, change the code to 786F-0664-1897.

Hit WRITE. Turn off ignition and wait a minute or two. Start the car and enjoy your new toggle switch!
How do I update my vin with Forscan ? I got the sync 3 and sync 3 has different vin. Not sure if that matters?

Leosegura155

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Leonardo
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT

DO:

DO NOT:

Hit WRITE.

Installed sync 3. It has a different vin than my car. Is there anyway Forscan can edit that ? Iā€™m also trying to update my sync 3 to v3.4 but not sure if itā€™s going to work with the wrong vin

OP
OP
IndyRN

IndyRN

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang PP1 Premium
Didn't matter for mine, I updated based on the vin in the radio (usb download from my computer) and it worked fine. If you updated based on your vin, you don't have a sync3 radio.

Rojito_95

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dylan
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT PP1/MT82, 95 F-150 XL "custom"
So I just read through this thread, I have a 21ā€™ 300a manual and it send that this isnā€™t quite and play as I thought, so just to confirm, thereā€™s about 7 line items that need to be changed and basically I should contact hextalls550??

OP
OP
IndyRN

IndyRN

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang PP1 Premium
So I just read through this thread, I have a 21ā€™ 300a manual and it send that this isnā€™t quite and play as I thought, so just to confirm, thereā€™s about 7 line items that need to be changed and basically I should contact hextalls550??
It was plug and play for me with three line changes. Other folks have had all kinds of issues. If you donā€™t have the capability to troubleshoot forescan contact someone who does.

Iā€™m going to be deleting the guide this week. Itā€™s not worth keeping up with all the negativity itā€™s received, clearly this is not a DIY job for everyone.

Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
It was plug and play for me with three line changes. Other folks have had all kinds of issues. If you donā€™t have the capability to troubleshoot forescan contact someone who does.

Iā€™m going to be deleting the guide this week. Itā€™s not worth keeping up with all the negativity itā€™s received, clearly this is not a DIY job for everyone.
I wouldn't go as far as deleting the guide, it's got very useful information. It's not your responsibility that some people aren't capable of performing the necessary steps.

With that said, I think that 2021 had quite a few changes in forscan lines/codes which makes things a tad more challenging.

OP
OP
IndyRN

IndyRN

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang PP1 Premium
I wouldn't go as far as deleting the guide, it's got very useful information. It's not your responsibility that some people aren't capable of performing the necessary steps.

With that said, I think that 2021 had quite a few changes in forscan lines/codes which makes things a tad more challenging.
Maybe deleting is a bit dramatic but you should see some of the nasty PMā€™s I getšŸ˜‚

When Im at a computer and not on a phone I will edit the post and warn about the 21ā€™s.

br_an

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bran
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350, 2020 Ford F150
I understand you're getting flack from some less-tech-savvy folks, but this guide was very helpful for the '19-'20 crowd. Please do not delete it!

Rojito_95

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dylan
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT PP1/MT82, 95 F-150 XL "custom"

Iā€™d hope you donā€™t delete it..
Thereā€™s good info for sure, maybe we can lock and pin the thread?
Thatā€™s sucks that youā€™re getting some shitty messages, a good edit oughtta do the trick tho, Iā€™m glad this info is out there to be honest

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
Hey Indy, please don't delete it. It was an awesome guide just missing a few of the Forscan changes to complete the swap.

My advice is just purchase something from Hextall, if not the whole kit but maybe the APIM that you want to use (Nav or no Nav) and Tom charges $35.00 hr. to do the rest of the changes for Forscan via remotely.

It really was plug and play if you have a 2019 and 2020 other than the few additional Forscan changes. There are some changes done with the 2021+ cars but I can't confirm that.
Sponsored