2019 and 2020 4" to 8" Screen Upgrade + Drive Mode Toggle Switch Enable Writeup

IndyRN

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang PP1 Premium
Edit: There are changes to the 2021 and newer models. Some of you may have to edit additional lines to unlock all of the features you want. I do not have a 2021+ car currently, so I cannot offer advice on those changes.

Update: I can only speak for the 2020, but no additional wiring is needed. Do not purchase or change your harness if you own a 2020! I purchased a Bezel/Radio/ACM/APIM from a 2019 and it was plug and play.

DO:

If you plan on upgrading your 2019-2020 without utilizing with Forscan, it will work. The only function missing will be the Drive Mode toggle switch. However, you must sync your fordpass PRIOR to installing the new unit. It will not work with the new system. The fix is to pull your dash and reinstall your old radio to sync up as the VIN will not match and you will not get the authentication notification. With Forscan, you can update the VIN and fix this as well.

Upgrade your radio to the newest version of Sync using a USB flash drive. Over the air updates did not work with my system, but your mileage may vary. The update takes about 20 minutes and it is very much so worth it if you are running 3.3 or older.

DO NOT:

Use master reset unless you have no other option. If you reset your radio, it will disable your MyFordPass authentication. Without updating the vin or reinstalling your old radio, there's no way to connect your fordpass to the new system. You will lose the remote start/lock functions on your phone.

The 4" to 8" thread has a ton of good information, but it does not apply to 2019's and 2020's. I've done some research and have decided to do a write up with what I learn throughout the process. I've got my screen/APIM/ACM on the way and it should be here shortly. I will try to document the installation with as many pictures and videos as possible.

What I've learned so far:

The Shelby GT350/GT350R Bezel will not work with a base interior. You have to get the premium bezel. The switches are programmed differently and will not interface correctly.

In previous years, a custom/modified harness is required. However, for a 2020, the plug from the base model is the same.

The USB hub (At least in my 2020) is the correct hub for apple car play.

You can enable drive modes through Forscan if you upgrade to a Premium Bezel. Here's how:

Enabling Drive Mode Selector Toggle with FORScan:

Connect your OBDII Coding Tool to your car and computer. Switch your tool to the HS-CAN feature. Turn your ignition on, but do not start the car.
*I purchased This OBDII Module and it was compatible with windows 10 and my car. No drivers were needed.

Open FORScan and follow the prompts. It will ask you to switch it from HS-CAN to MS-CAN to read the modules in the second position. Do this and press OK.

Click the "Computer Processor" image and select ABS (As Built). Press the blue Play button and let the module load. Find line "760-02-02" and change the following numbers:

xxxx-3xxx (ONLY change the fifth number. Leave the numbers in the X slots be)
If you own a performance package car, change it to xxx-7xxx instead.

Hit WRITE.

Select the STOP button at the bottom of FORScan.

Now select "IPC" on the same list as before under the computer processor. Find lines: "720-06-01" if you have an automatic. Change the code to 6C7F-8000-18B1. If you have a manual, change the code to 786F-0664-1897.

Hit WRITE. Turn off ignition and wait a minute or two. Start the car and enjoy your new toggle switch!
Sponsored

Last edited:

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I can tell you from the research I've done that it's almost plug and play on 2019+ cars. Slap in the APIM and screen, slap in the new bezel, and then there's literally one line you have to change with ForScan to tell the BCM it has the 8 inch system now. All the wiring and back end is identical. My theory is that this was done so that every car could run FordPass and the data collection stuff. The only exception is if you get an APIM from a non Mustang, then there's a bit more you have to do. I also highly recommend getting a 2019+ APIM, because you'll have a much easier time upgrading to the latest firmware and you won't lose FordPass compatibility.

OP
OP
IndyRN

IndyRN

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang PP1 Premium
I can tell you from the research I've done that it's almost plug and play on 2019+ cars. Slap in the APIM and screen, slap in the new bezel, and then there's literally one line you have to change with ForScan to tell the BCM it has the 8 inch system now. All the wiring and back end is identical. My theory is that this was done so that every car could run FordPass and the data collection stuff. The only exception is if you get an APIM from a non Mustang, then there's a bit more you have to do. I also highly recommend getting a 2019+ APIM, because you'll have a much easier time upgrading to the latest firmware and you won't lose FordPass compatibility.

I ordered a complete setup out of a 2020. Bonus is it has GPS, wasn't listed as a GPS module but I looked up the S/N. Thanks for the info! Had I known it was this simple, I would have saved a few weeks worth of research. I think it's worthwhile having a documented install for others in the same boat.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I ordered a complete setup out of a 2020. Bonus is it has GPS, wasn't listed as a GPS module but I looked up the S/N. Thanks for the info! Had I known it was this simple, I would have saved a few weeks worth of research. I think it's worthwhile having a documented install for others in the same boat.
Nice! The navigation is cool, the only negative is that updating maps takes a literal hour. But I definitely recommend you documenting your install process, many people will appreciate it. I haven't pulled the trigger yet myself, I'm waiting for the right deal to pop up.

Jimmy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jimmy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP 6MT
I did the upgrade 2 weeks ago on my base 2019 and it was really simple. All that's needed is the screen, apim, and bezel.

You don't even need a GPS antenna, the base car already has it.

Sponsored

Lawguy85

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
'21 Mach 1 FJG
Where did you get part from? Have part nos.?

OP
OP
IndyRN

IndyRN

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang PP1 Premium
I found my parts on Ebay. I paid $599 for the GT Premium Bezel, APIM, and ACM. They pop up once in a while but it takes some searching to find a good deal.

kr3t-14g370-CCB was the part number for the APIM.

From what I've found units with the numbers"370" are nav, "371" are non nav.

OP
OP
IndyRN

IndyRN

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang PP1 Premium
Update: So I didn't do a video because once I had the dash off I realized it was truly plug and play for the 2019-2020. There's nothing to write about, everything plugs in and the GPS antenna is already there. You don't need to change the USB hub. Everything works besides the drive mode selector, which I will mess with later tonight on Forscan.

Jimmy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jimmy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP 6MT
Where did you get part from? Have part nos.?
I got screen and apim from a seller on this forum. You can also find them on ebay, they can come from any ford/lincoln with sync 3.

I found the bezel from car-part.com it's a search engine that searches junkyards, then I called the junkyard and went over and picked it up.

The part number for the bezel is FR3T-18E245. I have also seen them start with J instead of F, not sure what the difference is.

OP
OP
IndyRN

IndyRN

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang PP1 Premium
Updated the post with instructions on how to program the modules to enable the drive mode toggle switch. Tested and working. Enjoy!

Sponsored

Jimmy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jimmy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP 6MT
IndyRN do your hazard flashers work as expected? I had to make the following change to get mine to work:

BCM 726-29-02: changed from xxxx xxx1 xx to xxxx xxx0 xx

OP
OP
IndyRN

IndyRN

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang PP1 Premium
IndyRN do your hazard flashers work as expected? I had to make the following change to get mine to work:

BCM 726-29-02: changed from xxxx xxx1 xx to xxxx xxx0 xx
They worked, but I will look into my data strings and update the post. Thank you!

OP
OP
IndyRN

IndyRN

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang PP1 Premium
I have a base 2016 gt350, and found a 2016 gt350 with sync 3 what do I need to do?
Look at the main thread for this, this is for 2019+ since it's plug and play. There is an additional harness needed for base models prior to those model years.
Sponsored