Sponsored

2018+ Quad Exhaust Tips - Nicer Looking Option ?

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Well it seems to be accepted, that there not the best looking of tips and there not being replaced as quickly as older model exhaust systems as the active exhaust reduces the urge to swap it out for a better sounding / louder system. Lots of info, thoughts and (very limited) options on this thread :

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/2018-2019-active-exhaust-tips.127455/

So that got me thinking, can we get stainless trims in the UK that are easy to fit and add a nicer look to the standard system ?

Seems not, at least not if you want something that fits perfectly and looks like a quality item.

So off to the dealers I went with my measuring stuff (I dont have my car yet) and a few designs later I have a slash cut, inwards rolled stainless trim design that :

ā€¢ Fits the OE tips perfectly.

ā€¢ Follows the contours of the bumper perfectly (the standard exhaust are rotated outwards).

ā€¢ Fastens securely, with hidden fixings (unless your crawling around underneath the car).

The tips will provide a nicer 'chunky' looking exhaust and the rolled in ends will wrap around the original single wall (and often sharp / poorly finished) OE tip.

I've approached a few manufactures and one of them can supply these tips in brushed stainless which could be left as is, home painted (with VHT or similar) or ceramic coated etc. Black ceramic would give a real nice quality look to the system ... :sunglasses:

Price wise they would come in at 'less than' Ā£80 for a car set (four trims) including suitable UK postage, but there is a snag ...

I need 25 car sets to get this off the ground.

So, im not asking for firm commitments, but I am after an idea of how much interest this project would generate and if it's enough for me to move forward.

I'm not sure how I would work the commercials for this project yet, I will worry about details like that if this starts to gather momentum ...

I might even check postage costs for opening this up to our USA friends if I think it will help :like:

Please feel free to register interest and add comments etc below.

Cheers,

WD :like:
Sponsored

StealthFighter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BOB
Vehicle(s)
-2019 GT premium a10 -pp1 -Shadow Black loaded
I would love to see some pics of these on an active exhaust equipped 18/19 GT,
your estimate on pricing seems very good, and shipping costs to the USA would also
be a great idea. I hope you are able to move ahead with this project.

Symone

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Simon
Vehicle(s)
2021 mach1 grabber yellow A10
Also would like to see pictures of tips , have been looking around for these but seem to struggle

Alfa Male

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Alfa Giulia
Thatā€™s a great idea and love to see how this pans out in reality.

Iā€™ve seen on other cars carbon fibre exhaust tip covers which look great.

There isnā€™t a lot of clearance around the exhaust tips to the valance so you may be constrained on what you can achieve.

Watching with interest

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
can you not just buy some tips you like chop the old tips off and weld on the new tips ?

Sponsored

OP
OP
WD Pro

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Active exhaust ...

The tips are surprisingly short, tapered and different for the inner and outer.

The outer is the shorter tip.

The inner tip is a bit longer but has the active valve mechanism reasonably close to the end.

Iā€™m not doubting that is possible, but it probably getting a bit beyond what the average person can do at home on the drive.

If your interested in painting or coating the tips that adds a further consideration, especially for ease of visual refurbishment in a few years time :like:

Quattrodave

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
M140i, X5 40d, Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I'd be up for these tips depending on what they look like.

OP do you have a prototype set you can show us some pics of or are you just at the design phase with the fabricators?

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
Active exhaust ...

The tips are surprisingly short, tapered and different for the inner and outer.

The outer is the shorter tip.

The inner tip is a bit longer but has the active valve mechanism reasonably close to the end.

Iā€™m not doubting that is possible, but it probably getting a bit beyond what the average person can do at home on the drive.

If your interested in painting or coating the tips that adds a further consideration, especially for ease of visual refurbishment in a few years time :like:

the active exhaust isn't in the tips though is it its in the resonators themselves or just after on the little bit that sticks out from the box before the tips

OP
OP
WD Pro

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
My guy will only go to prototype once I commit to an order with a 50% down payment on the batch.

They will look like this generic picture :

F55659-ED-DFB6-4030-8607-92-BA46-C5-E441.jpg

But sized and angled to fit the mustang perfectly and with a brushed (satin) finish. The aim will be to have the original exhaust end tucked up inside that internal return lip.

They will be secured at the back of the trim on the top face with a single M5 using a tig welded boss.

I had the official AC Schnitzer exhaust (made by Remus) on my M3 and this is how the twin upswept trims mounted. It works really well and allows for tiny adjustments / perfect alignment :like:

92-E2714-B-116-A-41-B9-B688-9-D996-E948-FE9.jpg

NOTE : the mustang trims WONā€™T be upswept ... lol

OP
OP
WD Pro

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
the active exhaust isn't in the tips though is it its in the resonators themselves or just after on the little bit that sticks out from the box before the tips
Itā€™s after the box and right on the change in diameter as it flares out to the tip.

Whilst the ā€˜weld a new tip onā€™ option isnā€™t impossible, it adds time and complication to the home modifier to cut, weld, ensure correct alignment etc for no cost saving (most likely an increase) and provides the potential for ford to dismiss you if / when the active part of the exhaust fails.

I will be looking at that route though if the trims donā€™t get off the ground ... :like:

The design and spec of my proposed tip is complete, at the moment Iā€™m just gauging potential interest :like:

Sponsored

Symone

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Simon
Vehicle(s)
2021 mach1 grabber yellow A10
My guy will only go to prototype once I commit to an order with a 50% down payment on the batch.

They will look like this generic picture :

F55659-ED-DFB6-4030-8607-92-BA46-C5-E441.jpg

But sized and angled to fit the mustang perfectly and with a brushed (satin) finish. The aim will be to have the original exhaust end tucked up inside that internal return lip.

They will be secured at the back of the trim on the top face with a single M5 using a tig welded boss.

I had the official AC Schnitzer exhaust (made by Remus) on my M3 and this is how the twin upswept trims mounted. It works really well and allows for tiny adjustments / perfect alignment :like:

92-E2714-B-116-A-41-B9-B688-9-D996-E948-FE9.jpg

NOTE : the mustang trims WONā€™T be upswept ... lol

Donā€™t think youā€™ll have much trouble selling if they fit as good as you hope and is as simple to fit

cosmic charlie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Streetfighter Q850 NEED FOR GREEN, 2016 Focus RS (frozen white), 2016 Focus RS (stealth grey), 2014 Ford F150 Crewcab, 2015 Porsche Boxter GTS, 2013 Mercedez Benz ML350, 2003 Mercedes Benz C32AMG, 1989 Honda CRX Si Turbo
If you can make them and send them to the US for a reasonable cost I'm in for sure.
Sponsored